What happens if I bypass the EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctom987

I know this is totally dumb, but just out of sheer curiosity, what happens if I bypass the EVSE? As in, I fashion my own J1772 connector with a 5-15P on the other end?

I'm not going to do this, I'm just actually curious what the charger would do. Theoretically, it would do nothing without the pilot signal.

Now lets get even worse. I get me a cheap arduino for $5, and send the pilot signal. Is this effectively a "normal" EVSE without any safety features?

Nothing would happen without the pilot. With the pilot, you would have essentially an EVSE with none of the safety checks. Someone was offering something like this on here a while back...
No need to say how dangerous this would be...

TomT said:
Nothing would happen without the pilot. With the pilot, you would have essentially an EVSE with none of the safety checks. Someone was offering something like this on here a while back...
Danger is a product of risk and ignorance. If I did this with full knowledge of the (lack of) circuitry, it could be done safely. The problem is, 99% of the population doesn't want to read a 300-page manual for everything they use. This is perfectly fine in most cases, especially on an EVSE.

The sad thing is, that EVSE would cost like $150 in parts, and for like $150 more, I could get a "real" EVSE. A minimal JuiceBox is only $368. Without the cables, it's $179. OpenEVSE isn't much different.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4056&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mctom987 said:
TomT said:
Danger is a product of risk and ignorance. If I did this with full knowledge of the (lack of) circuitry, it could be done safely. The problem is, 99% of the population doesn't want to read a 300-page manual for everything they use. This is perfectly fine in most cases, especially on an EVSE.

The sad thing is, that EVSE would cost like $150 in parts, and for like $150 more, I could get a "real" EVSE. A minimal JuiceBox is only $368. Without the cables, it's $179. OpenEVSE isn't much different.

None of those statements make much sense or relevance nor have any more validity than "If I cut my brake lines with full knowledge it can be done safely". Just knowingly strip some wires and stuff them in and you and others around you will be safe, no 300 page manual needed, whatever that means.

A couple of things to keep in mind courtesy of Phil (Ingineer):

"Nissan will definitely void your warranty on your OBC and your Inlet if you use this device that is "always hot", which has been proven to destroy on-board chargers. It can also cause arcing and damage to your inlet. If you are concerned about multi-thousand dollar repair bills, I would avoid this!

There is a reason why the Leaf sets a DTC and lights up a warning! Connecting power to an asleep charger defeats the internal pre-charge system and if this happens, it can be catastrophic! Since there is nothing preventing this from happening except for a specific manual sequence, it's bound to happen at some point."

Plug it into the car before you plug it into the wall. That way the arching is at a cheaper connector. Also don't do this. :mrgreen:

mctom987 said:
I know this is totally dumb, but just out of sheer curiosity, what happens if I bypass the EVSE? As in, I fashion my own J1772 connector with a 5-15P on the other end?

I'm not going to do this, I'm just actually curious what the charger would do. Theoretically, it would do nothing without the pilot signal.

Now lets get even worse. I get me a cheap arduino for $5, and send the pilot signal. Is this effectively a "normal" EVSE without any safety features?

Just do this for $25 and call it a day!!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back