Well, knock me over with a feather!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet4ever

I originally ordered an SV because I didn't see much value for myself in the SL features or the QC port. But when the EV Project was finally brought to the SF Bay Area, I did see that there would be value in a free charging dock, and I had never accepted AV's $2,900 bid. So I sent an email to Nissan asking what would be involved in getting into the EV Project. That and a followup email were apparently interpreted as a formal request from me to upgrade to an SL-e, though I hadn't intended them that way.

By March 1, in fact, when CarWings opened up and I learned I had been assigned VIN 0670, I had concluded that Phil's L1 EVSE upgrade would best fit my needs. On March 15 I got my 7-day email and was getting very excited. But then the wheels fell off. A second VIN showed up in my Owner's Portal, and the seven days came and went without my dealer getting a car. As March rolled into April I started bugging CS about what was going on. They always promised to research the problem and get back to me, but of course they never did. My dealer was almost impossible to contact, and totally clueless if I did get through to him.

Finally, on April 20, more than seven and a half months after I ordered (Sep 2), I spoke with "Mike" at CS. He gave me some real information, that the original VIN was no longer assigned to me even though it still showed up in the Owner's Portal, and that the second VIN was an SL. I told him I didn't want an SL, and that I had made no changes to my SV order. He promised to escalate the issue, and it appears he really did, but I'll get back to that in a moment.

On April 29 Rat posted his tale of woe (Lost order - start over) and suddenly my problems seemed petty. I responded:
One moral I'm going to take from your tragic epic: I'll grab the first one I can get my hands on, even if it's called an SW-QVC.
Absolutely no more bitching from me.
I removed the litany of delays from my signature, and when an SL showed up at the dealer with my name on it three days later I took it -- at MSRP, with QC, though I ended up leasing rather than buying.

So, guess what just showed up in the mail from Nissan North America, Inc. -- a $700 check for reimbursement of unspecified "repairs" :!:

Ray

planet4ever said:
I removed the litany of delays from my signature, and when an SL showed up at the dealer with my name on it three days later I took it -- at MSRP, with QC, though I ended up leasing rather than buying.

So, guess what just showed up in the mail from Nissan North America, Inc. -- a $700 check for reimbursement of unspecified "repairs" :!: ...
Well, that means that Nissan, at least, still thinks you're in the EV Project. That's the refund for your QC port. I'd call the EV Project office for your area, and ask when your free Blink is supposed to be installed!

davewill said:
Well, that means that Nissan, at least, still thinks you're in the EV Project. That's the refund for your QC port. I'd call the EV Project office for your area, and ask when your free Blink is supposed to be installed!
But I don't want a "free" Blink. I'm 98% certain it wouldn't be free, not with the way my house is set up, and in truth I don't know where it could be put. Inside the garage is out of the question, and the one outside wall close to our driveway is already filled with meters and solar system inverters and the switches and breakers they require, plus the breaker and outlets that I have already installed for the LEAF.

Besides, I am perfectly happy with the Ingineer-upgraded EVSE I already have.

But now you have me worried. I already cashed the check. Do you suppose Nissan is going to discover that I am not in the EV Project after all, and demand the money back?

Ray

planet4ever said:
But I don't want a "free" Blink. I'm 98% certain it wouldn't be free, not with the way my house is set up, and in truth I don't know where it could be put. Inside the garage is out of the question, and the one outside wall close to our driveway is already filled with meters and solar system inverters and the switches and breakers they require, plus the breaker and outlets that I have already installed for the LEAF.

Besides, I am perfectly happy with the Ingineer-upgraded EVSE I already have.

But now you have me worried. I already cashed the check. Do you suppose Nissan is going to discover that I am not in the EV Project after all, and demand the money back?

Ray
They may. You might not want to spend it right away. ;)

As far as placement, several people have built wooden pedestals for their outdoor EVSE. You don't have to use a wall.

planet4ever said:
I already cashed the check. Do you suppose Nissan is going to discover that I am not in the EV Project after all, and demand the money back?
Well the $700 dollars may have come from Nissan but the Department of Energy is the one that acutally paid for it from what I understand. The Department of Energy is footing the bill for the DC port, Blink EVSE and installation in exchange for data about your Leaf usage habits. So if you don't have the Blink installed the Department of Energy is not getting the return on investment they expected. My guess is when Nissan gets audited by the Department of Energy and they find that you are not in the program they will ask for the money back from Nissan and not you but of course that is just speculation and I am no lawyer.

Spies said:
Well the $700 dollars may have come from Nissan but the Department of Energy is the one that acutally paid for it from what I understand. The Department of Energy is footing the bill for the DC port, Blink EVSE and installation in exchange for data about your Leaf usage habits. So if you don't have the Blink installed the Department of Energy is not getting the return on investment they expected. My guess is when Nissan gets audited by the Department of Energy and they find that you are not in the program they will ask for the money back from Nissan and not you but of course that is just speculation and I am no lawyer.
EV Project is a federal & private initiative. Part of the money comes from federal govt and rest from private entities (IIRC, private money is more than federal money). Most likely Nissan is footing the bill.

update :

http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

On August 5, 2009, ECOtality was awarded a $99.8 million dollar grant from the U.S. Department of Energy to embark on this Project. The Project was officially launched on October 1, 2009 and will continue approximately 36 months.

In June 2010, the Project was granted an additional $15 million by the U.S. Department of Energy. With partner matches, the total value of the Project is now approximately $230 million.

$230 million? Zoinks! No wonder people are in a fuss about the lack of progress. For that money we'd better be seeing DC Quick Chargers everywhere...

GeekEV said:
$230 million? Zoinks! No wonder people are in a fuss about the lack of progress. For that money we'd better be seeing DC Quick Chargers everywhere...
Well, only about half that is our money, but, yes, they've essentially promised L2 and QC "everywhere"...at least in the roll out areas. That said, I'm not as concerned as so many here are. It's obvious that the Blink units are behind, both in development and in UL certification. I expect that once the hardware is ready, the installs will happen.

planet4ever said:
Ray

LOL, they will now. Nissan does read this forum.

it amazes me that anyone would expect that much from a paltry 230 million. that is the afternoon foreign oil bill. (not including interest!!)

how about 10% of the F'ffing tax credit those G** DA** oil companies get??

that would at least bring the project above token status

Back