Weekend(s) Project - DIY EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made a lot of progress the last few weekends (and some nights too)...

Power Supply - Fully encapsulated - UL listed - EMI validated - 85 - 265V AC Provides triple output 5V and +12V and -12V (for pilot diode check). I have another version (dual output) which is just 5V and +12V which is half the size and eliminates 9 external components, but would sacrifice the diode check.

Diode Check - Check

GFI - Correct coil this time. Implemented with hardware (does not require microprocessor to function). Can be reset by the microcontroller.

Current/Over current monitoring with shutdown for over current conditions.

USB port - firmware update and data logging

Simple Kwh - monitors current but not voltage calculates based on 120/240V.

Just finished Printed Circuit Board layout - size with triple output power supply and 20A relays included is 3" x 4" x 1" (half inch larger than a deck of cards).

I will post pictures when I receive the boards and start adding the components...

chris1howell said:
I have made a lot of progress the last few weekends (and some nights too)...

Power Supply - Fully encapsulated - UL listed - EMI validated - 85 - 265V AC Provides triple output 5V and +12V and -12V (for pilot diode check). I have another version (dual output) which is just 5V and +12V which is half the size and eliminates 9 external components, but would sacrifice the diode check.

Diode Check - Check

GFI - Correct coil this time. Implemented with hardware (does not require microprocessor to function). Can be reset by the microcontroller.

Current/Over current monitoring with shutdown for over current conditions.

USB port - firmware update and data logging

Simple Kwh - monitors current but not voltage calculates based on 120/240V.

Just finished Printed Circuit Board layout - size with triple output power supply and 20A relays included is 3" x 4" x 1" (half inch larger than a deck of cards).

I will post pictures when I receive the boards and start adding the components...
Sounds like someone has more talent than Ecotality engineers combined!

I started a thread call "Inside the EVSE." However, I directed the members to this thread because it is more active and is really what I had in mind.

My research on the Internet lead me to discover a module that supposedly emulated the control functions of J1772 2010, but I have not been able to find further information...it's a Mennekes CP Communications box 30511-AA.

I'm reading the excellent postings here with great interest as I just brought my new SV home yesterday and I'm trying to get back into circuits after using my EE mostly in software development work.

It is possible. I do not have an Nissan L-1 EVSE yet (April Delivery - to May - to Pending - June - July - June) so I do not know the exact measurements of the board but I have carefully studied the pictures and made some estimations based on known component measurements. On my prototype board I placed the components in similar locations to the Nissan/Panasonic and used compatible terminals. In theory I should be able to remove the L1 board and substitute my board.

Currently, the board is 3" x 4" and includes the power supply on the board. There are a lot of things I can do to make it even smaller including removing USB, removing the diode check (which the Nissan L1 and AV EVSE apparently do not do), using smaller components and putting surface mount components both the top and the bottom.

Maybe I am missing something here but Ingineer has already done something similar by modifying the stock Panasonic EVSE and has been selling them for a while now. Check out that thread for more info...

fotajoye said:
To me the ideal would be a modified L1 EVSE brick that works on 240ac/16amps and 120ac/12amps. Is that posible within the same form factor?

mogur said:
Maybe I am missing something here but Ingineer has already done something similar by modifying the stock Panasonic EVSE and has been selling them for a while now. Check out that thread for more info...

fotajoye said:
To me the ideal would be a modified L1 EVSE brick that works on 240ac/16amps and 120ac/12amps. Is that posible within the same form factor?
You did miss something. Fotajoye is talking about having the 240v mode operate at 16a instead of 12a. This would charge the Leaf at its full L2 rate. Phil talked about having his mod be selectable for higher rates, then decided to push forward without this feature.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

davewill said:
You did miss something. Mogur is talking about having the 240v mode operate at 16a instead of 12a. This would charge the Leaf at its full L2 rate. Phil talked about having his mod be selectable for higher rates, then decided to push forward without this feature.

Chris:
That's encouraging; we already know the Nissan unit can handle a 240 mod; the question becomes will the components handle the amps and the additional heat? Right now I'm using the brick to charge the car; but, I really like the idea of a fully portable full powered L2 that uses a 240 plug.

I think one has to experience the slowness of the 120 EVSE in real life to appreciate the ability to use the full potential of the on-board charger.

It is likely the NISSAN L1 components would handle the additional current. The high voltage side should be pretty simple AC in - Relay - AC out. The issue is the complexity of modifying the device to send out the correct pilot signal which would require hardware and/or software modifications. Other safety features may also require modification to expect the higher current. If it were practical to modify the existing pilot for 16A, I am sure Ingineer would have done it...

Got it! I think I read somewhere where Ingineer asked who was interested in this mod. I am and I think there will be many after they receive their cars. The idea I advance is to build it and they will come. But, the ability to offer the upgrade must be there before they make the decision to go with another product. It also seems to me that one would have the money to buy two of these units for one installed per the current setup system.

Gary... But did you take your Nissan L1 EVSE apart before you sent it in? It will be months before I get my hands on mine... Month of April - Month of May - Pending - Month of June

Still using the original L1 EVSE here for charging.
I have not opened mine, but have looked inside another.

I am buying a 2nd ("spare") Mod-L1 EVSE to use while I send the first in to be "modded".

Just got word that the three prototype Printed Circuit Boards shipped today. :D

After seeing the pictures and reading the treads on the Blink, I am really excited to get back to work...

chris1howell said:
Gary... But did you take your Nissan L1 EVSE apart before you sent it in? It will be months before I get my hands on mine... Month of April - Month of May - Pending - Month of June

Chris, what are you after from the original EVSE? I took pictures of mine, pre-mod, if that's useful in any way?

Back