Wattstation Key

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchinchicago

My electrician is trying to install my GE Wattstation but we can not find the key that separates the base from the mount. It it supposed to be inside the unit but we can not find it.

Does anyone know where it should be?

There is no user manual or tech support number with the unit? GE provides no support?

Went through the online PDF for that unit ... sounds like it may be taped inside the unit itself but I would call GE ...

(888-437-3765) technical support assistance

if you still can't find it

i have had 2 personal incidences in my past where something was supposed to be taped to inside panel of something and it was missing. usually not so critical as a key but it was always EASY to find.

like i said, you probably just did not get one.

No, it is not in there. Thanks for all your replies.

Have to send it back to Amazon. GE is not able to send a replacement part.

I might have been lucky. It looks like the cable it too short.Not sure what the best thing to do is now.

I am not allowed to install a charger on the front of my house. Only on the side but I probably need a 25' cable and the watt station only has 16'.

Leviton 18' cord (says custom length available but good luck with that)
Legrand 24' coiled cord
AV is supposedly available with 25' cord upon special request
SPX 18' cord (may not work with all LEAF timer settings)

Maybe it could be mounted behind a bush to avoid front visibility?

smkettner said:
Legrand 24' coiled cord

I have the AV (Aerovironment) EVSE with the 25 foot cable. When I bought it a year ago, the 25 foot cable was a free option vs the 15 foot cable. The EVSE has worked flawlessly for 9 months. I believe that it is considered okay for outside installation.

dutchinchicago said:
Can you order the AV unit without having them install it?

This one on Ebay looks to be the 25 foot cord, though it doesn't specify.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Unit-/130622931236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e69bbc124#ht_966wt_1185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also try contacting AV and asking for them to ship it to you cash-and-carry. Many people did that earlier this year.

Here's a link to Plug In America's EVSE listing: http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a call from GE. They are going to send me a key.

Very good of them.

If I park my car the other way round the cable is just about long enough. Not ideal but it will do for now. Why do they make these cables so short?

dutchinchicago said:
Why do they make these cables so short?
Cost.

I would prefer a lighter cable designed for just 20 amps. #12 wire for power, #14 or 16 for ground could be fine on a 20a unit. They all seem to have 10/3 minimum. Some day they may wise up. :|

dutchinchicago said:
I got a call from GE. They are going to send me a key.

Very good of them.

If I park my car the other way round the cable is just about long enough. Not ideal but it will do for now. Why do they make these cables so short?

That GE unit looks very sharp -- I think my Schneider unit has an 18' cable as well as that fact played into were exactly I planned to use the charger the most before I had it installed. I did like the fact of how heavy a guage wire/cable they used and it coils nicely back on its holder when not in use -- GE's way of wrapping the cable around the unit (no separate mounted holder) is a nice design but after measuring where I ended putting my own, it would have been a little tight (mounted above a high concrete knee wall/foundation) so the smaller Schneider with an offset cable holder worked better; plus as it was $320 less at the time didn't hurt.

I wonder what the changes are of replacing the cord. At the moment it seems really expensive. I cost around $500 for an 18 foot cable.

I am hoping to be able to buy a 25foot cable at some point for around $100.

The cord in my Schneider is just held by a flimsy strain relief and connected with wire nuts or crimps.
Cord swap would not be a big deal. Finding a low cost cord is the hard part.

smkettner said:
Legrand 24' coiled cord

The AV can be ordered with a 15 or 25 foot cable. I have the 25 foot and I find it extremely useful to have all that extra cable. My AV is mounted on my front wall and is barely noticable.

Back