WA SB 5251 : $100 annual fee for EVs (was EV Tax)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
I would not be opposed to paying my fair share of road maint. and 100 per year seems reasonable.

Now I just want to know if those people that drive gas guzzlers are going to pay for that Trillion dollar war in IRAQ.

for me and for you, $100 probably is reasonable but what about someone who drives 5,000 miles a year? We have a handful in the Seattle area who dont commute. work at home, lives centrally, shops locally.

we also have people who are the opposite. in their car most of the day, every day. using public charging on average 2-3 times a day or more. should both people above pay the same?

if they were buying gas they obviously would not be?

just another example of government doing whatever they can to slow EV growth

The thing that always confused me about WA was the fact that they eliminated sales tax on EVs to help incentivze EV purchase but now go after divers for a 100 bucks because they have lost revenue in gas tax. As if EVs have a meaningful impact on that and not the increase of higher MPG vehicles and people being smarted about their driving habits.

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
just another example of government doing whatever they can to slow EV growth
Come on Dave, you know that is not the case. :eek:

Agreed. Governments are really worried about replacing falling gas tax revenues. They would much rather track by the mile, but they are unsure of how to do this without putting a GPS in your car and tracking you everywhere you go. We all know how well that would go over with the public.

KJD said:
Now I just want to know if those people that drive gas guzzlers are going to pay for that Trillion dollar war in IRAQ.
And the people that use the airlines, railroads, fertilizers, tires, toothpaste, paint, grease, plastics, roofing, and on and on. :D

Back