VW Crossblue to replace Routan .. plug-in too!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redLEAF

For those still waiting for a 'utility' plug-in perhaps here is one to consider ...

"Volkswagen computer simulations point to a 0-to-60-mph time of 7.2 seconds, thanks in part to torque loading from the diesel engine and two electric motors. Top speed is 127 mph. The complex drivetrain offers zero emission propulsion at the push of a button, with claims of a 14-mile all-electric range on a full battery charge at speed up to 75 mph. Combined cycle fuel consumption is put at 89 mpg-e on the EPA standard fuel economy equivalent test for hybrid vehicles in hybrid mode and 35 mpg in pure diesel mode.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130114/detroit/130119921#ixzz2HySt8Zoa

vw-crossblue-front34.jpg

detroit-vw-crossblue-rear34.jpg

Agree, seems like all we hear is that they're coming ...

In any case, this short video in the link below does a quick interior shot, 3rd row does indeed look tight but it's there for those who need it. Other sources have said it's initially 2-2-2 seating but 2-3-2 will also be offered.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/three...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

EDIT: another story link with an even better video preview ...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...g-in-hybrid-setup-2013-detroit-auto-show.html

That style of SUV is what I would consider to replace my Buick Rendezvous. Between my Leaf and such a hybrid /diesel/electric work horse I wouldn't need any additional vehicles in my house. Can't wait. 800 miles in a tank and about 35 miles electric and allowing the vehicle to be a home generator (ir is that Lutz truck)?

It seems the PiP-like micro EV ranges are becoming the new standard. Fully aware that the cost equation is tough and that compliance cars are needed for CA but I remain dubious there is any real utility to these tiny EV ranges. While many people only need 20-40 miles per day and can live happily with a Volt, how many people do 10 mile days? How many daily users get sold with 5-6k miles per year as opposed to 12k or so? If you have a few miles to commute, anybody ecologically sensitive enough to pay extra for a HEV is already thinking bike/walk/bus if it's doable, so what's the few miles give you but a bit of a gimmick and a mild econ boost (you lose some mpg lugging the battery around even if you religiously plug it in).

Yes not everybody has the same needs. Perhaps there are legions of people a few miles from work, shopping and entertainment, and have plug-in capabilities at all of them. Perhaps there are many away from buslines who are incapable of bicycling a few miles a day (hell I am too) but even they you would think would see the benefit of a EV range that could do a full normal day and be recharged at night - and used car miles indicate that's more than this and others like it offer.

I think the Volt got the mix right. It's limited to 4. I'm no fan of its cheesy video-game interior, and the ground "clearance" means anybody with real kerbs to deal with is going to sound like a trash compactor turning into driveways and parking lots but even so I would have bought one had I been able to get my crippled fat bastard leg under the way-low steering wheel through the chunky starship Enterprise plastic barricade by the door (no I'm not as bitter as I sound :lol: ). They chose 40 for a reason - it covers the average daily commuting needs of a vast majority of drivers. These things don't.

Personally unless the Leaf's long term durability and range is upheld in my moderate climate by the time my lease is up in 2015, I'm either going to hope the ELR isn't as low to the ground and as unwieldy to the unlimber graceless driver as is the Volt or downgrade to normal hybrids. The micro-range HEVs just add weight and complexity for too littel battery propulsion.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
It seems the PiP-like micro EV ranges are becoming the new standard. Fully aware that the cost equation is tough and that compliance cars are needed for CA but I remain dubious there is any real utility to these tiny EV ranges. While many people only need 20-40 miles per day and can live happily with a Volt, how many people do 10 mile days? How many daily users get sold with 5-6k miles per year as opposed to 12k or so? If you have a few miles to commute, anybody ecologically sensitive enough to pay extra for a HEV is already thinking bike/walk/bus if it's doable, so what's the few miles give you but a bit of a gimmick and a mild econ boost (you lose some mpg lugging the battery around even if you religiously plug it in).
Not a fan of the micro EV range. But some of your assumptions don't hold - not possible to bike/walk/bus my 5.5 mile commute for 10 months of the year.

They should have a minimum 20 mile range to give HOV access in CA. That will correc this micro range issue.

evnow said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:
Not a fan of the micro EV range. But some of your assumptions don't hold - not possible to bike/walk/bus my 5.5 mile commute for 10 months of the year.

They should have a minimum 20 mile range to give HOV access in CA. That will correc this micro range issue.

My assumptions about what? You even cited the "if it's doable" and the "perhaps there are many..." are in later paragraphs. What there certainly aren't is a large ratio of drivers who average 10-15 mile days, or 4-5k/year used cars would be routine rather than rare. Just like there really aren't very many of those who pooh-pooh all EVs by claiming the need to average 200 mile days. There are SOME in both groups. You can indeed find 90s Buicks with 50k miles taking granny to church and back. You can indeed find 2010 vans with 250k+ miles running up and down the superslab all day. You just can't find very many of either. And unless you're in the first group, buying one of these cars or a PiP, possibly outside of lane-access politics I as a non-Californian don't understand, makes as much sense as buying a regular hybrid and loading a washing machine in the trunk 3/4+ of the time.

I agree with your 20 min for the sticker idea. CA drives much of the alt-fuel metrics. Leveraging that would work wonders. Hell I'd suggest 30 if 'twere up to me.

The Crossblue might be a great replacement for my 4runner if it can tow a small camper (R-pod). It would be awesome to have a diesel and regen when we hit the mountians! I wonder what the tow rating will be...

After watching our Leaf/highlander combined use over the last two years, it turns out that that second car doesn't really need to go all that far most of the time. don't forget that 10-15 mile range allows for a 20-30 mile RT commute if you plug in at work. with a small battery, even L1 will do the trick.

What my family needs is an all wheel drive vehicle than can haul skis, kayaks, an extra storage compartment, a vehicle that can fit many purposes, but mostly it ends up doing short errands when the primary car is in otherwise in use. the bulk of miles on that second car are around town miles with the occasional but highly valued jaunt into the outdoors. Diesel of course also allows for the use of bio-diesel, which is readily available here. bio-fuels make a lot more sense as a back up fuel to me, to this kind of a vehicle turns out to be quite attractive!

unfortunately the Tesla X doesn't fit the bill because you can't put things on top of it... a real shame!

EvansvilleLeaf said:
evnow said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:

My assumptions about what? You even cited the "if it's doable" and the "perhaps there are many..." are in later paragraphs. What there certainly aren't is a large ratio of drivers who average 10-15 mile days, or 4-5k/year used cars would be routine rather than rare. Just like there really aren't very many of those who pooh-pooh all EVs by claiming the need to average 200 mile days. There are SOME in both groups. You can indeed find 90s Buicks with 50k miles taking granny to church and back. You can indeed find 2010 vans with 250k+ miles running up and down the superslab all day. You just can't find very many of either. And unless you're in the first group, buying one of these cars or a PiP, possibly outside of lane-access politics I as a non-Californian don't understand, makes as much sense as buying a regular hybrid and loading a washing machine in the trunk 3/4+ of the time.

I agree with your 20 min for the sticker idea. CA drives much of the alt-fuel metrics. Leveraging that would work wonders. Hell I'd suggest 30 if 'twere up to me.

First, your last point, sensible as it seems, doesn't hold true. The PIP gets better MPG uncharged than the Prius II hybrid-only. The rerason is that the bigger battery gets used for hybrid mode even when it hasn't been charged, and stores more energy. Second, you assume that people will balk at having to use gas as well as EV mode. That hasn't been the case for most PIP drivers; they are happy just to get 60+MPG and be able to run local errands as an EV. (What they want most is electric heat!) These low-EV-range cars are definitely not for EV enthusiasts, but they seem to work very well for more "normal" drivers.

Back