Vulnerable Comm Bus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rake

I had heard (perhaps it's just a rumor) that car thieves were able to access some cars' computers via a buss connection by breaking a side mirror. With us, with our charging ports open, isn't it also possible to access this bus through the charging socket? Since anything sent electronically can be spoofed, couldn't they just tell our Leafs to unlock and start up?
Does our cars have any sort of codes/firewall to prevent this?

Rake said:
I had heard (perhaps it's just a rumor) that car thieves were able to access some cars' computers via a buss connection by breaking a side mirror. With us, with our charging ports open, isn't it also possible to access this bus through the charging socket? Since anything sent electronically can be spoofed, couldn't they just tell our Leafs to unlock and start up?

There is no external access to any of the critical communications busses on the Leaf. This has been covered extensively in another topic.

-Phil

Rake said:
This was discussed here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2986. Short answer - yes.

interesting posts, thank you for the links, my quick search of headers didn't produce those.
I find the arguments compelling, though not convincing.
By looking at the scematic for the Can Architecture Diagram it does appear that there are two distinct busses, but that they are physically connected at the "data link connector".

Since 1996, the data link connector (DLC) is a standardized 16 cavity connector shown below.
Connector design and location is dictated by an industry wide standard. Vehicle manufacturers can use the empty DLC cavities for whatever they would like; however, the DLC of every vehicle is required to provide pins 4 and 5 and 16 as defined below. When the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol is fully implemented in the 2008 model year, all vehicles must use pins 6 and 14 as defined below.

Terminal 2 - SAE J1850 10.4k bits per second (BPS) variable pulse width serial data (GM Class-2) or SAE J1850 41.6k bps pulse width modulation serial data high line (Ford).
Terminal 4- Scan tool chassis ground.
Terminal 5 - Common signal ground for serial data lines (Logic Low).
Terminal 6 - ISO 11898/15765/SAE J2284 CAN serial data high line.
Terminal 7 - ISO 9141 K serial data Line or ISO 14230 (Keyword 2000) serial data line (DaimlerChrysler/Honda/Toyota)
Terminal 10 - SAE J1850 41.6k bps pulse width modulation serial data low line (Ford).
Terminal 14 - ISO 11898/15765/SAE J2284 CAN serial data low line.
Terminal 15 - ISO 9141 L serial data Line or ISO 14230 (Keyword 2000) serial data line (DaimlerChrysler/Honda)
Terminal 16 - Scan tool power (Unswitched battery positive voltage)

from: http://ocw.weber.edu/automotive-technology/ausv-1320-automotive-electronics/17-serial-data/data-link-connector

thoughts?

Or maybe my question should be:
must you be plugged in to the DLC to bridge the busses without the VCM, or are they in parallel with the connector.

You must gain access to the DLC3 under the dash in order to access the critical busses. As I said, they are not readily available outside the vehicle.

Once you are inside the vehicle, there are ways to steal it.

And as I've already mentioned, no amount of anti-theft technology will prevent someone determined. A flat-bed tow truck can have it gone in 60 seconds!

-Phil

Or a heavy-lifting helicopter with a big magnet could do it in 10! :lol:
More of the "new product jitters", I guess.

Thank you for setting me straight.
I do appreciate it.

Back