Using Tesla charging station with J1772 protocol

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla has subsidized HWPCs for some businesses like hotels and list public HWPC locations on their website. A business/hotel owner who is unaware of the nuances of EV chargers won't likely know of the need to provide more than one standard or may be unwilling to pay for additional purchase or installation of a J1772 unit without a subsidy or incentive.

Also, like you mentioned, Tesla owners obviously have disposable income. Welcoming them to your business can't be a bad idea.

AlanSqB said:
Tesla has subsidized HWPCs for some businesses like hotels and list public HWPC locations on their website. A business/hotel owner who is unaware of the nuances of EV chargers won't likely know of the need to provide more than one standard or may be unwilling to pay for additional purchase or installation of a J1772 unit without a subsidy or incentive.

Also, like you mentioned, Tesla owners obviously have disposable income. Welcoming them to your business can't be a bad idea.

Also for places that have J1772 and Tesla HPWC it's a back up in case the other is occupied. If you also wanted to add extra chargers to your car I think they can do up to 20 kW but if you're buying it for that reason I'd confirm, get quotes first to see how much that would cost.

There are at least 2 of them at hotels on my route home, they say for guests only on plug share though. Not sure if they have signs up.

What about a Tesla HPWC to Chademo, I know it would need a separate charger but could that be done?

minispeed said:
What about a Tesla HPWC to Chademo, I know it would need a separate charger but could that be done?

An HPWC is not a charger... it's a fancy safety switch for AC power to the vehicles onboard charger, just like J1772.

CHAdeMO is a charger, pushing DC power directly into a battery. No onboard charger required.

The simple answer is "no".

Slow1 said:
...Question then is are these Tesla HPWC stations being widely deployed? I have a suspicion that they may be in California far more than elsewhere (i.e. where most the Teslas are).

I wonder about the motivation of businesses to provide these vs J1172 - does the Tesla HPWC allow for significantly higher charging rates? Or perhaps those businesses are trying to attract Tesla owners (i.e. if you drive a $100K car perhaps you are a good customer to attract)? Are there areas where there are so many Teslas that they have become the defacto standard?
Yes, Tesla HPWC stations are being widely deployed in destinations that Tesla cars are likely to visit, such as resorts, hotels, and national parks. My understanding is that Tesla has a program to provide them for free to suitable locations.

Tesla's Supercharger model is that the Superchargers will be used for rapid interstate travel and then HPWC stations will be used at destinations to charge at slower L2 rates. To get an idea of HPWC stations already installed go here:

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.38999999999999?search=store,service,supercharger,destination%20charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deselect Superchargers, Stores, and Service Centers. You will then see a plot of known HPWC stations, many of them at hotels. You can also find a lot of them on plugshare.com although the map I just listed is a useful way to zero in on just HPWCs. Please note that nearly all of these are for patrons of the particular resort or hotel only and are not public charge stations. It is, of course, a way of attracting Tesla drivers to a particular hotel. Teslas can use J1772 public charge stations like any other EVs.

Are there many situations where Tesla L2 stations exist in a desert for other public L2 options? In Dallas area, the Tesla stations seem well distributed and likely a boon to Tesla owners, but are not filling any geographic gaps. Unless I was staying at the particular hotel or other commercial outlet featuring one as an amenity, I doubt I would take advantage of it nor need to use one.

AFAIK, and I'm sure Tony could confirm, Tesla's L2 charging protocol *is* J1772 already - it's only the physical plug form factor that's different. That's why a J1772-to-Tesla adapter is possible (and ships with every Tesla). Their HPWC is essentially an 80A J1172 EVSE, all you need to do is change the plug. You can either physically hack it off and crimp on a new J1772 plug or use Tony's adapter when it comes out. Either one is likely to cost the same - an 80A J1772 handle is a rare beast, very hard to find and not cheap. The advantage is that the HPWC is $750, but the cheapest 80A J1772 EVSE I've seen is over $2,000. So get an HPWC and Tony's adapter and you can essentially get one for $1,000. I could charge my Tesla at full speed and my Spark with just one charging unit. Right now I either have to have two or settle for charging my Tesla at 30A using the J1772 adapter that came with it. Of course, the 80A would do nothing for the Spark with its measly 3.3kW onboard charger.

GeekEV said:
AFAIK, and I'm sure Tony could confirm, Tesla's L2 charging protocol *is* J1772 already - it's only the physical plug form factor that's different. That's why a J1772-to-Tesla adapter is possible (and ships with every Tesla). Their HPWC is essentially an 80A J1172 EVSE, all you need to do is change the plug. You can either physically hack it off and crimp on a new J1772 plug or use Tony's adapter when it comes out. Either one is likely to cost the same - an 80A J1772 handle is a rare beast, very hard to find and not cheap. The advantage is that the HPWC is $750, but the cheapest 80A J1772 EVSE I've seen is over $2,000. So get an HPWC and Tony's adapter and you can essentially get one for $1,000. I could charge my Tesla at full speed and my Spark with just one charging unit. Right now I either have to have two or settle for charging my Tesla at 30A using the J1772 adapter that came with it. Of course, the 80A would do nothing for the Spark with its measly 3.3kW onboard charger.

This is correct for L2 the only thing Tesla changed is the physical plug, the J1772 protocol is used. On my personal OpenEVSE, I have a Tesla plug chopped off a broken UMC.

B958B913-FCCA-4619-9EEB-09BE00C87CDE.png.jpeg

I've been developing an adapter for charging Leafs and other EVs on the Tesla HPWC. The videos show i3 and Rav4 EV, but I developed it on my Leaf.

https://youtu.be/VFEJyqGErag
https://youtu.be/V8EfD_kJdZU

Is the chip that talks to the Tesla station in the adapter? I have seen people use the Tesla adapter in a Chargepoint station so I assume the adapter pointed in the other way could work, to pass current. It still does not solve opening the Tesla station. The Tesla users at Chargepoint still had to have a Chargepoint card. Modifying a Tesla adapter might get you access to the chip. It is still likely some form of theft and may be a felony since Tesla has assigned a value near $2000 buried in the Tesla purchase cost to access the network.

mjblazin said:
Is the chip that talks to the Tesla station in the adapter? I have seen people use the Tesla adapter in a Chargepoint station so I assume the adapter pointed in the other way could work, to pass current. It still does not solve opening the Tesla station. The Tesla users at Chargepoint still had to have a Chargepoint card. Modifying a Tesla adapter might get you access to the chip. It is still likely some form of theft and may be a felony since Tesla has assigned a value near $2000 buried in the Tesla purchase cost to access the network.

You are mixing up level 2 charging which is done via the J1772 on both LEAFs and Teslas but using different physical connectors that has no "chips" or "$2,000 value" or have any theft issues with DCQC. On our LEAFs we use CHAdeMO which doesn't authenticate via the car. There is an adapter that allows Teslas to use CHAdeMO stations. There is not an adapter to allow a CHAdeMO car to use a super charger and that isn't what this thread is about or what Tony is working on.

Once you realize the difference I think you'll see your post isn't relavent.

NoelIngle said:
I've been developing an adapter for charging Leafs and other EVs on the Tesla HPWC. The videos show i3 and Rav4 EV, but I developed it on my Leaf.

https://youtu.be/VFEJyqGErag
https://youtu.be/V8EfD_kJdZU

When do you expect these to be available for sale?

Is there any activity on the HPWC to J1772 adapter?
I'm interested, but honestly I've got no concrete use, so price would have to be reasonable.

Andrejun said:
Is there any activity on the HPWC to J1772 adapter?
I'm interested, but honestly I've got no concrete use, so price would have to be reasonable.

We are working on this, as well as several other projects. I just approved the pin manufacture this week.

Back