Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thorx said:
will this setup work if the car is turned off and you start charging it?
if so I would like the ability to have the app send a sms notification when the car is finished charging

Why don't you get CarWings to send you a notification when charging is complete?

JPWhite said:
thorx said:
will this setup work if the car is turned off and you start charging it?
if so I would like the ability to have the app send a sms notification when the car is finished charging

Why don't you get CarWings to send you a notification when charging is complete?

carwings doesn't work when you have an privatly imported car.
for example usa-car to eu

Funny, when I try to download the app directly on my phone, only the first 28Kb or so is copied. I have to get the entire apk file using my desktop PC, then USB-cable it to transfer the file to the phone. This is with a Galaxy Nexus at 4.2.2.

A small suggestion for further app improvement.

I really like the "reserve charge" feature allowing the calculation of remaining miles with some user-selected reserve charge not being used. Toward the same goal of managing battery charge at the low end, I think it would be very nice to graphically indicate the position of "low battery warning" and "very low battery warning" as vertical lines on the battery graph on screen 4. I would suggest doing it on the middle Gid bar. This bar has a vertical line at the position the Wh counter is reset, but no additional tick marks. So two similar lines (or maybe dotted) could indicate the two warning positions. Just an idea.

Has anybody seen the following error when attempting to start the app? This is with 0.25 - it was working fine the last time I used it (probably 3-4 days ago), but now every time I start it up, I get this error message:
Error occurred
An error has occurred in sub:
main_vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv6
(java line: 2592)
java.lang.NullPointerException
Continue?
If I press "Yes", I get
Error occurred
An error has occurred in sub:
main_activity_resume (java line:611)
java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Interval must be larger than 0.
Continue?
Pressing "Yes" here gets me to screen 4, but with everything zeroed out. I can switch to the other screens, but can't get to the settings page.

Pressing "No" at either point exits the program.

I tried downgrading to version 0.24g-FS, but still no change in behavior (and it too was working the last time I used it - a couple of weeks ago.

I tried rebooting the phone, but no change in the app. No known changes to the phone that would cause the behavior.

Update: Going all the way back to 0.19 worked, but 0.23 and beyond did not (I didn't have any versions between those two).

Update 2: Nevermind. Uninstalling and then installing 0.25 seems to have done the trick. I'm back in business.

Your saved data has somehow become corrupt.

Go to Settings/Applications and select Leaf Battery. Note the size of the Data area. Mine says 12.000KB what is yours?

Then select "Clear data" and then Uninstall the current version. Then reinstall v0.25.

You will need to remake all the changes to the default settings you made and your initial data will revert back to the default values.

FalconFour said:
There's a clone of some kind on the Windows Phone market (Leaf Logger), but it only does one thing: shows me the battery SOC using the OBDII adapter, and has to be manually refreshed.

The free version seems to do just that and nothing more.

The paid version automatically refreshes, generates graphs of SOC, altitude, speed, ...

But not battery pack temperature. That's currently missing.

On .25fs, the status message in the lower right reads "Waiting 4 BT..." on a yellow background even though the bluetooth connection and the app are working together in perfect harmony.

Turbo3, The battery app 25-1 is now up and running on my new kyocera event and all I can say is FANTASTIC and job well done.

Thanks again,
KJD

oakwcj said:
On .25fs, the status message in the lower right reads "Waiting 4 BT..." on a yellow background even though the bluetooth connection and the app are working together in perfect harmony.
Did you install on Monday before 3:20 PM? If so you have a version with a bug in the message code.

Please reinstall from DropBox.

Version 0.25a(-FS) is ready for beta testing.

You will need to update the passcode. (Hint for previous testers: This is version 25 not 24.)

You will not see any main screen changes. The only change is to support receiving the CAN frame data length count. To see this go into Debug mode and monitor any of the four frame groups. You will now see the data length count right after the three digit message number.

This is always 8 for the current message types but in listen mode there will be shorter frames so I needed to know how many data bytes are in each message.

To do this there are internal changes to how frames are recieved to allow variable frame lenghts. Also some minor improvements to retry.

In the data log the 12 volt battery readings have a V after the voltage reading. i.e. 12.8V. Is it possible to not put the V there or strip it out? I can strip it out in excel, but one less thing to do would be nice.

JP

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.25a(-FS) is ready for beta testing.
Two observations so far:

--0.25a-FS appears to do a better job of connecting if I start the Leaf Battery App when I am quite a distance from the Leaf. Previously, it was stuck "waiting 4 Leaf data", but now picked up the data and connected once the Leaf was in Ready mode

--when checking the debug screen for the cell pairs (app set for landscape mode), after the first 16 messages the rest scroll off the screen (I assume there should be 96). There is no scroll bar.

JPWhite said:
In the data log the 12 volt battery readings have a V after the voltage reading. i.e. 12.8V. Is it possible to not put the V there or strip it out? I can strip it out in excel, but one less thing to do would be nice.

JP
Version 0.25b has the "V" removed from the log file.

WetEV said:
FalconFour said:
There's a clone of some kind on the Windows Phone market (Leaf Logger), but it only does one thing: shows me the battery SOC using the OBDII adapter, and has to be manually refreshed.

The free version seems to do just that and nothing more.

The paid version automatically refreshes, generates graphs of SOC, altitude, speed, ...

But not battery pack temperature. That's currently missing.

To be fair, LEAF Logger is more than just a clone. Think of it as a running app for your LEAF. It logs on a map the stats as you drive, and has a bunch of charts to dig into those stats. And you can then export those stats to csv on SkyDrive to analyze to your hearts content.

sirfergy said:
To be fair, LEAF Logger is more than just a clone. Think of it as a running app for your LEAF. It logs on a map the stats as you drive, and has a bunch of charts to dig into those stats. And you can then export those stats to csv on SkyDrive to analyze to your hearts content.

Yes, very cool to export to SkyDrive. Would be better if also reported and uploaded pack temperatures.

Does a substantial uphill, like say Steven's Pass in Washington, raise the temperature of the pack significantly? Would it be better to limit power to 40kW on the uphill, as I tend to do on long uphills, or is the combination of cool mountain air and speed enough to keep the pack cool? How quickly does the pack respond to outside air temperature?

WetEV said:
sirfergy said:

Yes, very cool to export to SkyDrive. Would be better if also reported and uploaded pack temperatures.

Does a substantial uphill, like say Steven's Pass in Washington, raise the temperature of the pack significantly? Would it be better to limit power to 40kW on the uphill, as I tend to do on long uphills, or is the combination of cool mountain air and speed enough to keep the pack cool? How quickly does the pack respond to outside air temperature?

An update with temps and more a reliable Bluetooth connection has been submitted for certification and should be available in a few days. If you're interested in becoming a beta tester, send me your Microsoft Account and I'll add you.

Turbo3; Thank you and the community for the continual development of Leaf battery monitoring tools. This latest development iteration is great.

I quickly/easily got it up and running with the recommended hardware and detailed instructions from the Wiki.

LG Optimus V - Virgin Mobile (Walmart) $44
Vgate ELM327 (Amazon) $18

Thank you.

Back