Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With j I now have GIDs, but they aren't stable. The readouts jump all over the place. I hope you or someone can figure it out.
Using the tire pressures (BIG THANKS!) I discovered that my no. 4 sensor may be defective because actual psi was 47, but it read 50-51.

regarding the connectivity issues, 25b is the last stable version for me. Connection is very reliable, so I know my hardware is ok
25c and on, it gets worse and worse, to the point where I'd almost give up and say it is broken.
It is evident when looking at the debug screen for the cell pair values, I know there will be an issue if only the first 5 lines load and the rest remain blank, that's if i can get any connection at all.

25j is marginally better, i managed to get it to stay connected, "waiting 4 data" does flick on, but it is ok.
The only way i can get it to stay connected is to momentarily put the phone in airplane mode before loading the app.
If i move the phone too far, (like on the steering column), if i load the settings menu, if i swear too much, it stops working and is stuck on "waiting 4 data". I then need to exit the app, and switch airplane mode on again momentarily. I can then reload the app and it will work again.
For my test I left the phone on the seat between my knees and drove for about 13min, but I guess i didn't exeed 25mph for a long enough period of time because I couldn't get tire pressure to show up no matter how frantically I tapped the temperatures, swearing at the phone didn't help much either :/

I haven't had issues with connectivity ... although I am encountering more trouble "swiping" between screens. The "response" time is either slower or it takes several tries before going to the next screen. This issue seems much more pronounced in landscape mode rather than portrait. It's hard to believe the app could be responsible for the landscape/portrait difference, so it must be my LG VM670 phone ? I don't know if the presence (and the detection feature in the app) of the "buttons" on some screens has anything to do with this issue ...

Could this symptom I am experiencing cause the connectivity issue on other phones ?

(My tire pressures were displayed after running down the 200 foot driveway.)

LEAFer said:
I haven't had issues with connectivity ... although I am encountering more trouble "swiping" between screens. The "response" time is either slower or it takes several tries before going to the next screen.

Thanks I'm not going crazy. For the short time I had the j version loaded I couldn't get to screen 1 from screen 4 directly had to go round the houses. May have just ignored my initial swipes.

If both connectivity and swiping actions are compromised, one wonders if the app is going CPU bound and locking up the phone momentarily enough to screw things up.

Here's my feedback with 25j after first drive with it:
Yes, connectivity is weird:
1. Just after upgrade when I first got to the car app was showing empty GIDs and got stuck in waiting for leaf data. I did clean all app data (as a result lost color customization and all other settings),
2. after that it connected and get leaf data pretty fast for couple of times, then it got slower and GIDs were never updated again even though the status was green. (see attached picture)
3. when switching the car off and on again it's getting stuck in waiting for leaf data for at least 5 mins, after that I stopped the app and restarted and it got connected just fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-18-18-48-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-18-18-48-44.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 82
How quickly should the tire pressure come up? All other data shows up quickly including the four battery temps, but when I tap it, the pressure screen remains n/a for all four sensors. Do I have to put the car into motion? What does NA mean (besides not available)?

Yes, the car needs to be driven a bit before the tire pressures appear. Combination of the refresh rate of the app and the sensors becoming active. Mine appeared after a couple 100 feet of driving.

TickTock said:
How quickly should the tire pressure come up? All other data shows up quickly including the four battery temps, but when I tap it, the pressure screen remains n/a for all four sensors. Do I have to put the car into motion? What does NA mean (besides not available)?

Today was my first day with any beta version. Observations:
25j was running fine until I got below VLB. Then it started having connection problems. Scariest was that it showed the green "Connected" button though it was not updating.
Also had problems switching windows.
Quitting the app and restarting would get some of the data to change but not all.
Re-installed the app which worked for a while and then exhibited the same problems. After the install, the app usually indicated the yellow "Waiting for the Leaf" if not working.
On a happier note, used the app on a car as it was QCing. The count did increase by one. There was no read out of Amps or Voltage for the QC.

It is very cool to have the Real Thing™ (Gids) and the tire pressures! Thanks for all your work on this.

P.S. With the regular v25, I was having virtually no problems with connectivity or freezing. I use a Kyocera Event with the Vgate ELM327 dongle.

Just to reiterate Leafer, I've not had any connectivity or performance issues on any version. I've been through almost every version with only perhaps skipping one. They all work great and I really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the recent updates. Thank you very much.

TonyWilliams said:
Is the DTE data now based on real Gids?
batteryproblemmnl

No, on the screenshot above, it isn't. It looks like a strange hybrid. The SOC is factored in, that much is clear, but it still does not add up. Perhaps Jim has some refactoring to do now that he can read GIDs. The kWh remaining seem to be GIDs * 0.080 kWh.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Is the DTE data now based on real Gids?

No, on the screenshot above, it isn't. It looks like a strange hybrid. The SOC is factored in, that much is clear, but it still does not add up. Perhaps Jim has some refactoring to do now that he can read GIDs. The kWh remaining seem to be GIDs * 0.080 kWh.

Well, I hope we can get this returned to (281 GIDs / 13.38) = 21kWh * 4 miles per kWh = 84 miles. But, as we know, any simple formula like that leaves miles remaining while the car in in turtle. Not wise.

Therefore, I want 7 Gid to be "zero", which also reflects a more accurate 50% useable energy level (a key metric to know when it's time to go home), hence the GID2 formula:

(GID -7) / (281 - 7) = GID2

So that 281 GID = (1 * 21) = 21 * X miles per kWh = 100% range in miles

And that 144 GID = (0.5 * 21) = 10.5 * X miles per kWh = 50% range in miles

And so that 7 GID = (0 * 21) = 0 * X miles per kWh = 0% range in miles

Adjustments can still be made by the app user from the 0 baseline for folks who want 0 miles to be at some other arbitrary threshold.

Now that we know battery temperature, we could also use the temperature metrics:

90F temp battery: 21kWh * 1.025 = 21.525kWh (@90F - 70) = +20 / 8 = 2.5% added to useable capacity

30F temp battery: 21kWh * 0.90 = 18.9kWh (@30F - 70) = -40 / 4 = -10.0% subtracted from useable capacity

I second Tony's idea taking temperature into account for range (using GID2 as a baseline). This would be very helpful for those of us who will be pushing available range come winter.

I think I have found most of the bugs in the connection code.

Currently reworking all the status message code so the status will match what is really happening with the Bluetooth Link/ELM/Leaf. Old code could say waiting for Leaf when it was really waiting for ELM.

Once that is done I will post version 0.25k (-FS) and remove the bug filled c thru j versions.

Going into the settings menu was one way to kill the link.

Also added better labeling for temp/tire pressure and fixed DTE number so it is based only on true GIDs.

jrreno said:
Where are you folks getting the beta versions?
I only have access to the full releases.
As you can tell by the post below yours (up a couple from here) ... Turbo3 is hard at work performing "bug-killing duties". Not sure if he'll take additional beta-testers at this point, but you could PM him. I'd recommend waiting a few days, though.

Turbo3 said:
I think I have found most of the bugs in the connection code.

Currently reworking all the status message code so the status will match what is really happening with the Bluetooth Link/ELM/Leaf. Old code could say waiting for Leaf when it was really waiting for ELM.

Once that is done I will post version 0.25k (-FS) and remove the bug filled c thru j versions.

Going into the settings menu was one way to kill the link.

Also added better labeling for temp/tire pressure and fixed DTE number so it is based only on true GIDs.

Dude! You are awesome!

I had just downloaded the beta version for the first time last night, and I was going to report my connectivity issues this afternoon, but I'll hold off for now. Looking forward to giving the bug-free version a try. :)

Using .25j, I had only n/a showing on the tire pressure sensors... could it be because I rotated the tires at 15,000 miles? Other than that, this version looks great!

JG

Back