Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the time being, 1 minute will be the minimum.

The code that sends and receives commands/data is still mostly original from the iMiEV code. I need to rewrite that to have better control.

I just got a third ELM327, second of the "mini", and had no problems with it.

The Bluetooth not connecting with some devices/versions of android is something I would like to fix. It does not connect with my Nexus 7 (4.2.2).

Why do you think you need 3-6 second logging?

When importing the BatLog.txt file into excel you should change the first two column formats from General to Text before pressing Finish to insure you get all the characters in those two fields

Version 0.08 will add a counter to the settings screen to show the number of records logged during this session. So if you press force log return to the program wait a few seconds and go back to settings you will see the number change. This way you can be sure logging is working.

vrwl said:
I've ordered my bluetooth adapter that was mentioned by davewill in an earlier post. Once I have that, I'll test this using my Kindle Fire tablet HD. This is some great work you're doing, Turbo3.
+1. I have ordered a most cheapo adapter just to test if it works. I will report how it works (if at all) when it arrives. Looking forward to more updates from Turbo3.

By the way, does Jim has any intention to open source the code so that the community can improve on it? This project has potential that is way too exciting for all!

Great new!!

I have the app working on my Nexus 7 now. Seems I needed to use the insecure form of Serial connection. If I use the standard form it works on some devices and not others. So I think the next version should work for everyone.

Still need to work on the auto-reconnect and some other issues with this new form to make it work as well as v0.07.

Should have version 0.08 up later today.

p1010177kx.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
What exactly is the "SOC" and "CAP" in the above photos?

CAPacity and SOC are recent 20bit finds in the Group 1 active CAN BMS data..
The capacity (in Ah) and the SOC (%) each have 4 significant digits behind the decimal..
This morning my car was SOC 66.0538% (55b message would be 66.0) and had 65.1211Ah capacity.
There is also a 16bit percentage in there which seems to be tied to capacity, but we're not certain.
Maybe that's what he's display as CAP?

%CAP is just the AHr rating divided by a constant that the user can update to represent what a new battery would have. Each Leaf is a little different so you can not use one constant for all. However, I must have a default so I picked one so most gen 1 Leafs would be <=100%.

Or you can set the constant to your current AHr and make that 100% and see how it drops over time moving forward.

Or if you don't like the idea of a % CAP rating you can disable it from the screen.

So if you like it you can use it if not then disable it.

The full resolution SOC and AHr are saved in the log file. Today's log showed SOC=800065 after a charge to 80% and a AHr=616115. You need to divide them by 10,000 to get % or AHr.

Jim

Just a heads up. I was trying to repeat Turbo3's terminal interaction with my newly acquired ELM327 and had no luck.
I suspected my new device was defective until I realized I was using an extension cable I got with another OBD device.
Without the extension cable the device worked flawlessly.

My Leaf manufactured in October 2011 and purchased December 1st 2012 shows the following numbers after charging it to 100%

SOC 95.06% AHr=64.83 CAP 97.85%

Using Leaf Battery App v 0.7

Is this good?

So a new leaf should have 66.25 AHr battery capacity (Ahr / CAP) ?

From Wikipedia:
24 kWh battery pack consists of 48 modules and each module contains four cells, a total of 192 cells

I'm misssing something on these equations...

braineo said:
My Leaf manufactured in October 2011 and purchased December 1st 2012 shows the following numbers after charging it to 100%

SOC 95.06% AHr=64.83 CAP 97.85%

Using Leaf Battery App v 0.7

Is this good?

So a new leaf should have 66.25 AHr battery capacity (Ahr / CAP) ?

From Wikipedia:
24 kWh battery pack consists of 48 modules and each module contains four cells, a total of 192 cells

I'm misssing something on these equations...

Not bad.. My car is fairly new and I'm already down to 65.1Ah capacity... It was over 66Ah a few months ago.
According to the MNL Wiki..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_specs

The cells are 33.1Ah average 3.8V.. so a new pack would have a 66.2Ah capacity..
66.2Ah * 3.8Vnom*96cells = 24.15kWh.

Battery capacity is always rated in Ah. How many kWh you put in or can take out depends on how fast you do it.

My 6 1/2 month old leaf with 6300 miles shows 67.57 ah and 101.98% capacity using Turbo3's app (see my screenshot on page 13 of this thread).

In each module, there are 2 cell-pairs, so 96 "cells" in series,
but each of twice the single-cell capacity.

So, 66 Ah x 360 nominal volts => 200 * 120 = 24 * 1000 => 24 kWh.
(approximately)

On the first page of this thread is a dump of the cell voltages. The actual voltages can be spotted by the 0Fxx hex pairs. Other than the header and byte count what is the third byte in and what are all the other numbers that are mixed in?

The good news is version 0.08 is ready for testing.

The bad news is it is too large to attach as a file. There is a 256KB limit.

So for now you will have to email me at [email protected] to get this update.

Improvements
* Use ConnectInsecure to open the Bluetooth port. Default Port is 1
* Settings screen has the option to change the Port number
* Added counter to Settings screen to indicate how many log records have been saved during this session.
* Tiny SOC on top line has been replaced with the Bluetooth Port number. (exit/restart after a change)

I think Port 1 should work for everyone but I have included the option on the Settings screen to try different values. Once you make a change you should exit and restart the app. If you are connect to the ELM327 you will see its ID below the 0.08 version number. If you are connected but see garbage characters then you are not connected to the ELM327.

I would really like to hear from people who have not been able to connect with my app before to see if this problem has been fixed by changing to connect insecure.

Jim

I have a tip and some questions, both of which may have been covered.

I was having difficulty pairing my Verizon DROID4 4.1.2 phone with my new ELM327mini. using the system Bluetooth pairing, it never took the 1234. I tried googling for other codes besides 0000 and came across a page that said you need to pair within 1 minute of powering on the ELM. That did the trick. :)
Screenshot_2013-04-23-18-30-10.png
Here is what I saw. By comparison my GID meter said 154 GIDs. I'm sad, but not shocked by the CAP %. didn't lose a bar yet, but I'm guessing I'd better get used to the idea. It is a 2011 with 16,000 miles made in 4/11. Just glancing at other people's pics it seems like my max deviates more from the average and also that I have several at the min, instead of just one or two. Does anyone know if this is a sign that it needs balancing with a full charge? Also, does the AHr remain constant except for the inexorable slide towards 0? And does SOC% X CAP% = GID%? It happens to in my case.

Thanks Turbo3 and the gang for lifting the veil for us. The news sucks but I'm grateful for the messengers.

So after seeing this app while scrolling through the threads, I decided to try it on my 2013 SV today. I trickle charged to 100% a couple days ago, hasn't been driven since. Dash % showed 100%-99%. I've attached a pic of the results from the app. So it would appear the SOC != what the Charge Percentage in the middle of the dash says. (and also that I've lost 3.5% not driving in 2 days?)

8677053850_3d9710c231_z.jpg

I see that my "real-appearing" ELM327 device, with a stamped serial number,
and what looks like it could be a unique MAC address, is really a v1.5 clone.

It seems to work no better, and sometimes worse, than the no-serial number
clone that has the 11:22:33:AA:BB:CC Mac address.

The prominent one-digit "state indicator" number cycles through 0,1,2 and
variations of that, but the app's green "connection-status" bar goes yellow
frequently, usually professing a timeout. (v7 app)

The log looks good, but the lat, lon would get into spreadsheets better
if they were enclosed in double-quotes, I suspect.

However, impressive progress.

sorphin,
Since your 2013 holds a little more energy in the battery you should go to settings and change the max AHr to something like 67.5 so it does not display greater than 100% CAP.

I also see a little bug where the first time you plug in the ELM327 and start the app the Version string has "ATI" at the being. If you restart the app it will not have the ATI until you unplug/replug ELM.

Back