Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoaty said:
drees said:
When I reported the above this morning, I had noted 4 GID difference at 80% and 5 GID difference at 70%.

Now at the end of the day at 29.1%, it's up to a 19 GID difference with LEAFCAN reporting 58 GID and the app reporting 77 'GID. My AHr reading is 58.80 (0.60 Ah down from 5 days ago!!!)

More evidence of the infamous gauge error leading to low bar/GOM readings???
It appears that simulated Gids are not very useful (a shame). I had a similar difference (but not quite as much) down around 33% SOC. Unless we can figure out a reliable way to correct them they will be a distant second to true Gids. That means that kwh left in the pack and DTE will be similarly affected.

My Sim Gids are exactly the same as a Gid meter after a 98% charge. Neither one changes at 100% so I no longer charge to 100%.

charge said:
Anyway to run this app on the iPhone?

Thanks!
There's not even any way to write it for the iPhone. Apple locked down the Bluetooth so that Bluetooth devices that aren't the standard ones (like audio or HID) need a special Apple chip in them.

Yet another reason to reject closed platforms.

There are wifi ELM327s that can be used with iOS. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to port this app to iOS. If anyone does, I beg of you to try to get this working on iOS.

LEAFfan said:
My Sim Gids are exactly the same as a Gid meter after a 98% charge. Neither one changes at 100% so I no longer charge to 100%.
Yes, the higher the SOC, the more accurate the Sim Gids are. Unfortunately, as you get down to lower SOC the Sim Gids get progressively farther from True Grids (TM).

Stoaty said:
I started the documentation for the Leaf Battery app on the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... snip...

Perhaps add this link to the first post?

Also, there is no longer a link to the dropbox in the first post,
so getting the first app onto an Android device is more
difficult, with only a zipped version available.

Stoaty said:
drees said:
When I reported the above this morning, I had noted 4 GID difference at 80% and 5 GID difference at 70%.

Now at the end of the day at 29.1%, it's up to a 19 GID difference with LEAFCAN reporting 58 GID and the app reporting 77 'GID. My AHr reading is 58.80 (0.60 Ah down from 5 days ago!!!)

More evidence of the infamous gauge error leading to low bar/GOM readings???
It appears that simulated Gids are not very useful (a shame). I had a similar difference (but not quite as much) down around 33% SOC. Unless we can figure out a reliable way to correct them they will be a distant second to true Gids. That means that kwh left in the pack and DTE will be similarly affected.
Yes, this is rather puzzling. It makes me wonder how reliable the SOC figure was. I would imagine that true SOC and % Gids diverge significantly as the battery discharges.

Turbo3 said:
Turbo3 said:
ralphmc said:
1. The column SOC, AHr are collecting the data without "." decimal point so it shows up as 73145 and 592958,
2. Also the AHr in my case is consistently the same value - during the charging and during driving down to 68+ % SOC, is that correct?

3. the other problem - maybe me - or my Nexus 7 tablet is that the app crashes randomly on my 45 minute drive to work it crashed about 30 times - is that suppose to be that way? ;-)

RAlph
1. That is the raw data from the car. So working as designed.
2. Yes that is correct it is not how much energy you have but how much the Leaf thinks you could put in the battery. It is like the size of the gas tank not how much is currently in it.
3. I have a Nexus 7 and will test it out on a drive when I have time. Do you get any type of message on the screen when it crashes?
RAlph can you please install version 0.19t from my DropBox on to your Nexus 7 and see if it works any better. I have added code to catch conversion errors from string to hex which I think might be the probelm.

I have added a new "Bad Hex" counter to the Statistics panel in Settings. Have a look at that counter to see if it increments. If the catch code works then instead of crashing it should just dump the bad data and increment the counter.

Thank you Turbo3, will do and test on my way back home. I did install V0.19 for my way home but it still crashed - and it looks like somewhat of a consistent timing is involved - like most of the time - two time I had to hit the screen because it went to a dim screen, by selecting a different screen like PG 3 or PG 1 - and then after the second dim time after roughly 50 seconds it crashed - Also a change between V0.18 and V0.19 last night I had the Nexus plugged in to the AC to monitor the charging (temps and SOC) - but it also crashed several times during the 2 hours + 30 minute session - which it did not do in V 0.18 - if that helps - any to confuse things :)

Version 0.20 has been released. Check first post for DropBox link, zip file and link to wiki page.

Improvements:
* New swipe interface to switch between screens
* Pack voltage can be adjusted on Settings screen to match current battery state
* Screen orientation can be set
* Easier to read 12 Volt battery voltage
* Removed PassKey setting since it was never used by system
* Added better handling of bad data from ELM327 so it will not crash program.
* Added counter to Settings Statistics screen to count bad data events that would have crashed the app on earlier versions. Please check after using app to see if you have any which means this fix is working and report back here.
* minor changes to Histogram X-Axis labels and tick marks.

Stoaty said:
sirfergy said:
I was driving and hit LBW and the SoC was a little over 20%. I thought it was supposed to be closer to 17%?
If I understand correctly, the SOC is the true SOC (including the 2% of battery capacity on the low end that can't be accessed on a Leaf). So this sounds about right, since LBS is 17.4%.

The Gids and SOC include the bottom 2% capacity of the battery that is not accessible. Hope this chart aids in understanding, although SOC% does NOT directly correspond to Gids. In addition, SOC% is not going to correspond to what is on a 2013 LEAF dash display battery %.

Code:
Stored      Gid       Gid%        SOC%
24kWh        300      106%        100%
22.5kWh     281      100%        92-95%
4kWh (LBW)   49        17%        17-20%
2kWh (VLB)    24        8%        7-10%
0.5kWh        5        2%        2-3%

Same chart (roughly), with a 50% capacity (old) battery pack:

Code:
Stored       Gid       Gid%        SOC%
12kWh        150        53%        100%  (not available) 
11.2kWh      140        50%        92-95%
4kWh (LBW)    49        17%        34-40%
2kWh (VLB)    24         8%        14-20%
0.5kWh         5         2%         4-6%

garygid said:
... Thank you Turbo3, will do and test on my way back home.
I did install V0.19 for my way home but it still crashed -

You needed to try 19t, not 19 (which did not have to crash-fix).

Yes Sir, sorry I did not go to end of the posts first to read "all about it" - I did install V0.20 since it is available now.

Also I want to make sure that you know: that all your hard work and great work is very much appreciated on this fantastic application, thank you again!

Will report back to let you know what the log finds.

oh BTW - is ambient temp available on the CAN bus - to be written into the log - for reference sake?

I have notice today that by just sitting parked and turned off on the "black top" the cell temps where raised by several degrees (more than I expected). So if owners become aware of how much that increases the temps of the battery, and they have a choice to park the car maybe on the grass or "not" on the "Black top" with that then to save on the thermal wear of the batteries, that maybe a good step too, just thinking...

Ralph

Ralph,
Thanks for the thanks.
Jim has really been doing the serious work on this app.
But, everyone's input helps. So, thank you.

Off topic:
My wife tells me that she sang in Nashville, many years ago.
Perhaps not as famous as some, she (and her sisters) sang...
in the car as they drove through. :D

v0.20:
The labels on the Histogram are great.

Now, I need to use it more while driving.

I need to make a little holder for the phone.

In landscape mode, something like a business-card
holder, set in front of the right side of the eyebrow
(covers the clock and outside temperature), held
in place by a 1" square of velcro, might work.

Or, the body from an old audio tape cassette
storage box might work.

The reverse landscape is really nice...
because the hardware Android buttons are then out of
the way when I hold the landscape phone with my right hand.

garygid said:
The reverse landscape is really nice...
because the hardware Android buttons are then out of
the way when I hold the landscape phone with my right hand.
And the landscape mode is really nice for the left handers. :D

garygid said:
I need to make a little holder for the phone.

In landscape mode, something like a business-card
holder, set in front of the right side of the eyebrow
(covers the clock and outside temperature), held
in place by a 1" square of velcro, might work.

Found this... haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it might do the job. Both links are for the same product, but one has a better price and the other has better pictures plus a video about it

http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/p-125721-scorpion-mount-universal-adjustable-vehicle-suction-mount-black-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (better price)

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-125721-black-scorpion-mount-universal-car-holder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (picture & video)

vrwl said:
Found this... haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it might do the job. Both links are for the same product, but one has a better price and the other has better pictures plus a video about it

http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/p-125721-scorpion-mount-universal-adjustable-vehicle-suction-mount-black-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (better price)

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-125721-black-scorpion-mount-universal-car-holder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (picture & video)
Added link to Wiki. Thanks.

Back