Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one from Newegg for $12:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1GK0NV1808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok, so I have read this entire thread, and I didn't get a clear answer for this.
Why can't we display GIDs? Can't we can calibrate the CAP based on 281 at 100% SOC?
A lot of our knowledge on tracking the Leaf's current state is all based on GIDs.

Also, this will probably make me sound like a weeny, but can we get an option for values in metric? (km instead of mi)
and degrees C instead of F.

This is an awesome project, thank you so much!

Just ordered a cheap ODBDII from ebay, hope it works with my Galaxy Nexus and my wife's Nexus S :)

I still fell bad about Nissan choosing a closed system for LEAF's onboard computer... just imagine the apps we could have if they would let us chose Android with a well documented API ;)

Or a semi-standard (using a frame adapter) docking station for a Nexus 7 ;)

And a wireless charging pad in center console would be nice too.

jclemens said:
Ok, so I have read this entire thread, and I didn't get a clear answer for this.
Why can't we display GIDs? Can't we can calibrate the CAP based on 281 at 100% SOC?
A lot of our knowledge on tracking the Leaf's current state is all based on GIDs.

Also, this will probably make me sound like a weeny, but can we get an option for values in metric? (km instead of mi)

This is an awesome project, thank you so much!

Ditto. Why no Gids?

jclemens said:
I already have a settings flag for English/metric for GPS data. I will update the code so it displays temp in hires C (normal C from the car is 1 degree granularity) based on that same flag. Look for it in Version 0.09

No real "gids" because we don't know how to read them from the CAR-CAN which is the only bus a standard ELM327 connects to.

The gids are only sent on the EV-CAN bus. Can't display what I can't read.

This is fantastic software! The log files include battery temps in C and F, and the elevation changes are really sweet (and we only have hills here, no mountains)!

I'm ordering an ODBII extension cable so I can add a switch to flip the CAN ports. That would also solve the frequent plugging in/out potential issue.

Thanks again.

Gary

TonyWilliams said:
Turbo3 said:

So, we just need a Y connector for two OBD2 devices, correct? (Gidmeter and this Bluettooth device)
I use a Y connector now with the Bluetooth in one and a WattsLeft in the other. Actually the WattsLeft has a Bluetooth option and resends the raw EV-CAN out Bluetooth.

No sure if Bluetooth supports two SPP at the same time but I could switch back to the WattsLeft from time to time to get an updated Gid value.

Turbo3 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Turbo3 said:

So, we just need a Y connector for two OBD2 devices, correct? (Gidmeter and this Bluettooth device)
I use a Y connector now with the Bluetooth in one and a WattsLeft in the other. Actually the WattsLeft has a Bluetooth option and resends the raw EV-CAN out Bluetooth.

No sure if Bluetooth supports two SPP at the same time but I could switch back to the WattsLeft from time to time to get an updated Gid value.

So, we just need a Bluetooth in the WattsLeft to sync up with the Android. Now, how to share the data?

From this thread's first post:
As you can see in the pictures, opening it involves removing four screws
covered up by the label. Rather than try to peel off the label I just punched through it.
So moving the wires would not be a problem. But before I did that I decided that I
need to see if I could read out the VIN number though the CAR-CAN so I did not
move the wire at this time.
Well, I just got this "stubby" (not mini) bluetooth v1.5 OBD adapter,
and removed the four screws. Surprise, it comes apart easily, and
the there are real wires inside soldered to the OBD connector pins.

Pins 6 and 14 are the High and Low CAR-CAN wires, and moving them
to the EV-CAN pins (13 High, 12 Low) is very easy. Move the wire on pin
14 to pin 12, and the wire on pin 6 to pin 13. I suggest unplugging
the wire harness from the board before soldering.

Also, if desired, the wire to the always-present 12v on pin 16
could easily be moved to the "switched" 12v on pin 8, if one
desired.

I will make both of these easy changes, and see how well Turbo3's
app works when attached to the EV CAN bus. Then, with a small
modification, the app could read and display GIDs, and %Gids.

Strange, the Bluetooth specs for the Fusion 2 phone
do not list the SSP profile:
Bluetooth 2.1, EDR
Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP),
Generic Object Exchange (GOEP),
Handsfree (HFP),
Headset (HSP),
Object Push (OPP),
Service Discovery Application (SDAP)
Are these specs not complete?

garygid said:
Strange, the Bluetooth specs for the Fusion 2 phone
do not list the SSP profile:
Bluetooth 2.1, EDR
Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP),
Generic Object Exchange (GOEP),
Handsfree (HFP),
Headset (HSP),
Object Push (OPP),
Service Discovery Application (SDAP)
Are these specs not complete?

Yeah, that's the problem. I have been looking at Bluetooth phones and tablets all night and I haven't found one that specifically addresses the SSP protocol. Since we've got WAY too many devices as it is, I hate to spend gobs of money on something I'm going to just stick in the car and use exclusively as a display device. I want to buy one of those cheap prepaid phones and then use it for the WiFi and Bluetooth only, but I'm having one heck of a time trying to find something that lists SSP in the specs. And should we get Bluetooth 2.1 or Bluetooth 3.0?

I'm still irked that my Kindle Fire can't seem to pair up with the ELM327 dongle-thingy. It now sees the device, but it keeps telling me I'm using the wrong PIN when I use 1234. I've also tried 1111, and 0000 with no luck either. I tried to talk to Amazon, but I got a Level 1 tech and she had no clue what I was trying to tell her so then she put me on eternal hold and after about 20 minutes I eventually hung up. Will have to try again tomorrow and see if I can get someone higher up the chain.

Gary, The specs must be incomplete since I have two Fusion 2s I have been using to test this app. But that is the list of profiles in the User Manual that comes with it. Good thing I did not look at the spec before I bought the phone.

Here is a screen shot of the updated Version 0.09 that supports English/metric. Metric is selected so the temp is in C.

leafbatt009a.png

vrwl said:
I'm still irked that my Kindle Fire can't seem to pair up with the ELM327 dongle-thingy. It now sees the device, but it keeps telling me I'm using the wrong PIN when I use 1234. I've also tried 1111, and 0000 with no luck either.
Not sure if this will help. But on one of my laptops I had to select "insecure connection" to get it to work. So check and see if there is any type of option on connection type.

Turbo3 said:
vrwl said:
I'm still irked that my Kindle Fire can't seem to pair up with the ELM327 dongle-thingy. It now sees the device, but it keeps telling me I'm using the wrong PIN when I use 1234. I've also tried 1111, and 0000 with no luck either.
Not sure if this will help. But on one of my laptops I had to select "insecure connection" to get it to work. So check and see if there is any type of option on connection type.

Ahhhh, ok, I'll look for that. Thanks :)

In addition to 1234 and 0000, I have read that the pairing
code 6789 has been used by many successfully with
some versions of the "ELM327" type device.

It is said by some that the pairing must be done within
the first minute that the ELM327 device is turned on.

In trying to understand the the "insecure" option... I read:

Apparently an "insecure" connection is an unpaired connection.

For compiling code with the insecure option (bt.open,1) one apparently
needs the SDK 10 or later. For running that option in code on an Android
device, apparently one should test for Android version 2.3.3 or greater first.

So it is said, but I think Turbo3 is using the insecure option on
his Fusion 2, which is... an earlier version of Android, right?

Maybe having an option for connecting Paired (secure) or
un-Paired (insecure) would facilitate testing of the connecting
to these Bluetooth devices?

garygid said:
In addition to 1234 and 0000, I have read that the pairing
code 6789 has been used by many successfully with
some versions of the "ELM327" type device.

It is said by some that the pairing must be done within
the first minute that the ELM327 device is turned on.

Thanks Gary, I'll try the 6789 on it later today too. :)

I just modified one of the three ELM327 type devices that arrived
yesterday to use switched 12v, and use the EV bus instead of the
CAR-CAN bus.

It paired with the Android tablet, and then the v8 app worked fine.
MANY COOL, humanoids! :D

Then, I tried to use the other two (unmodified) devices, and
as I scanned for nearby devices to pair, they did not show up.
However, when I tried them with the Leaf Battery app, it worked. :?:

So, these devices apparently all have the same MAC address,
and the tablet's scan does not report what it thinks is an
already-Paired device (that is, one with the same MAC address)?

If the app reported the mac address, and the device name on the
Settings page, that would be helpful. And, perhaps show the in-use
mac address choice as pre-selected on the OBD connections popup
window.

garygid said:
...So, these devices apparently all have the same MAC address,
and the tablet's scan does not report what it thinks is an
already-Paired device (that is, one with the same MAC address)?
Yes. The whole system counts on MAC addresses being unique. You'll be unable to use multiple adapters with the same MAC within range of each other, because the tablet won't be able to tell them apart. If the devices are different enough from each other, you might even be forced to un-pair and re-pair in order to switch between them.

Back