Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having thought about this a little more I think it would be safer if I just gave the option to just swap the front and back order displayed on the screen.

This would work because tire rotation just moves front to back not side to side.

You would just need to add/release air from the front left tire, drive a little to get a PSI update and see if the front or rear left tire shows the change. If it shows the top number changed you are done. If it is the bottom number you select a new swap option and front and rear numbers swap. Then adjust front tire back to the correct pressure.

Going the registration option is much more complicated - adjusting all four tires, driving for 3 or more minutes and then readjusting all the tires back to their correct pressure. But the result is the same.

Once you have the app sync'd with the Leaf then each time you rotate the tires you just toggle the swap option and you are done.

You only need the registration option for new tires or left/right swapping.

Turbo3 said:
I will probably enforce that the pressures be around these values (9 PSI difference) before I allow the registration process. Otherwise you can end up unregistering all your tires and get no pressures and the warning light will stay ON. Don't want a bunch of people going to Nissan service with all their TPMSs unregistered.

I might need a few people who are willing to take a risk to test this function once I have it included in the app.

Up until now the Battery App has been a passive 'read only' application. Now we are venturing into updating data or devices on the vehicle we are treading into warranty voiding territory. As a passive read only app Nissan can have no real beef with owners using it. Now we are doing functions that presumably the Consult III device was designed to do Nissan could take exception to owners using this app.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but you might want to put a disclaimer somewhere in the app that displays the first time you run it and/or upgrade it.

Just successfully did a TPMS registration with HyperTerm while driving. I think I am the first person to ever do such a thing. You need to keep talking to the BCM ECU while the registration is going on or it stops. So I needed to keep hitting "Enter" as I drove.

The app would just tell the Leaf (BCM ECU) to do function x. The Leaf does all the work. Much simpler than asking for all those cell pairs which go over the EV CAN.

The question is - Will I actually release this function for general use? That I am not sure of at this time.

I need to hear more feedback on why it is better than just an option to swap the numbers when you rotate your tires.

It was an interesting challenge but it is probably time to put all the air back in the tires.

TomT said:
Not necessarily true. On a car like the Leaf that does not have asymmetrical tires, many rotate in an X pattern...

Then why does Discount Tire and other places only rotate front to back? I've yet to see the X done with any of my cars and the tires are symmetrical.

Turbo3 said:
Just successfully did a TPMS registration with HyperTerm while driving. I think I am the first person to ever do such a thing. You need to keep talking to the BCM ECU while the registration is going on or it stops. So I needed to keep hitting "Enter" as I drove.

The app would just tell the Leaf (BCM ECU) to do function x. The Leaf does all the work. Much simpler than asking for all those cell pairs which go over the EV CAN.

The question is - Will I actually release this function for general use? That I am not sure of at this time.

I need to hear more feedback on why it is better than just an option to swap the numbers when you rotate your tires.

It was an interesting challenge but it is probably time to put all the air back in the tires.

Does registration work with a new set of wheels with new sensors, or just rotating the already registered sensors?

Many people have a second set of wheels with show tires or summer tires, as the case may be. It would be nice to be able to switch wheels with the app, not having to go to the dealer or a tire shop to get the sensors registered.

pchilds said:
Turbo3 said:

Does registration work with a new set of wheels with new sensors, or just rotating the already registered sensors?

Many people have a second set of wheels with show tires or summer tires, as the case may be. It would be nice to be able to switch wheels with the app, not having to go to the dealer or a tire shop to get the sensors registered.
It should work with new/old any wheel with TPMS. It would be the same procedure the dealer uses if they use the adjust pressure method instead of an external tool they hold next to the tire to activate the TPMS unit on each wheel in sequence.

Each TPMS unit has a 6 hex digit ID number. That is the number the Leaf will be registering and the order 1 thru 4 determines their location on the car.

The only troublesome part is having to adjust each tire to the required pressure so the Leaf know where it is on the car. But it does save having to go to the dealer or buying the external activation tool.

If I implement this feature it would not run unless it detected that the tire pressures had been set correctly. At least 2.5 PSI difference between any two tires and at least 9 PSI difference between highest and lowest. Anyone who goes to the trouble of adjusting the tires to this spec should know what they are doing. This should insure no one accidently unregisters all their TPMS by selecting this function.

The answer is because they are lazy and it is more work and/or, perhaps more likely, because they don't have to determine what kind of tires are on a given car and risk making a mistake.... X is the recommended pattern for best wear equalization, where possible.

LEAFfan said:
TomT said:
Not necessarily true. On a car like the Leaf that does not have asymmetrical tires, many rotate in an X pattern...
Then why does Discount Tire and other places only rotate front to back? I've yet to see the X done with any of my cars and the tires are symmetrical.

Turbo3 said:
This would work because tire rotation just moves front to back not side to side.
I do the rearward-cross tire rotation pattern myself:
tire_rotation_abc.jpg

And I have a second set of wheels with snow tires. Having an app that can do registration would be wonderful!

Turbo3 said:
If I implement this feature it would not run unless it detected that the tire pressures had been set correctly. At least 2.5 PSI difference between any two tires and at least 9 PSI difference between highest and lowest. Anyone who goes to the trouble of adjusting the tires to this spec should know what they are doing. This should insure no one accidently unregisters all their TPMS by selecting this function.

I wouldn't want this to run automatically if there is at least 2.5 PSI difference between any two tires. As I previously noted I've got a 5-6 pound difference between any two tires right now. This should be some sort of manual thing we check in settings to start the setting feature. If it's an automatic thing based on tire pressures only, then it may run when someone doesn't actually want it to run.

I earlier reported that the new (CAR-CAN bus) GIDs are not available
during charging, but it was demonstrated today that the GID value was
updating during a QC session. I will have to examine more cars, but
the charging log that I looked at might have been missing the needed
messages, or some other combination of circumstances, firmware version, ec.

Is the GIDs value updating properly for everybody during charging?

garygid said:

I cannot say for the LeafApp since I understand that uses active message request (no passive sniffing) but the 5b3 canbus gid message does not get sent on the canbus during charging for me on my 2011 w/ sw update if the car is off or in accessory (even if I "activate" the canbus by opening or closing a door). If I turn the car fully on while charging, then I start getting it. Was the car off during the QC charge?

vrwl said:
Turbo3 said:

I wouldn't want this to run automatically if there is at least 2.5 PSI difference between any two tires. As I previously noted I've got a 5-6 pound difference between any two tires right now. This should be some sort of manual thing we check in settings to start the setting feature. If it's an automatic thing based on tire pressures only, then it may run when someone doesn't actually want it to run.
Vicki,
You misunderstood. All four tires have to be at least 2.5 PSI different from each other. For example tire A=35, B=32.5, C=30, D= 27.5. But in addition to this tire A the highest and tire D the lowest must be 9 PSI apart so tire D would need to be at 26 psi. And all this would do is enable an option where you can manually select starting a registration cycle. Without the tires having the required PSI differences the option would be greyed out and you can not select it.

But I realize now I need to modifiy this for new wheels or if for some reason one or more tires are not currently registered. The app will determine how many tires are currently registered and modify the required difference. If one is missing the 9 PSI difference would changed to be 7.5, two missing 5 and three or more missing 0.

I will be releasing an update to the app where it will display the current registration data. I need information on what values/status comes back when a TPMS system is not installed on the Leaf. I am hoping it rejects the command instead of just giving an all zero response.

garygid said:

The app reports true Gids during normal charging and QC.

Turbo3 said:
vrwl said:
Turbo3 said:

Vicki,
You misunderstood. All four tires have to be at least 2.5 PSI different from each other. For example tire A=35, B=32.5, C=30, D= 27.5. But in addition to this tire A the highest and tire D the lowest must be 9 PSI apart so tire D would need to be at 26 psi. And all this would do is enable an option where you can manually select starting a registration cycle. Without the tires having the required PSI differences the option would be greyed out and you can not select it.

But I realize now I need to modifiy this for new wheels or if for some reason one or more tires are not currently registered. The app will determine how many tires are currently registered and modify the required difference. If one is missing the 9 PSI difference would changed to be 7.5, two missing 5 and three or more missing 0.

I will be releasing an update to the app where it will display the current registration data. I need information on what values/status comes back when a TPMS system is not installed on the Leaf. I am hoping it rejects the command instead of just giving an all zero response.

Sounds good. Thanks for the additional explanation. :)

Back