Used a Quick Charger for the 1st time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkallen21

I was running low (very low) on charge and barely made it to the Atlantic Station (downtown Atlanta) charging station. Technically, the stations are owned and maintained by CBRE and not Atlantic Station, but they have four 240v and 1 480v DC QuickCharger. ALL OF THESE ARE FREE (right off 17th - literally on the side of the street in front of Targe) I pulled into the QC spot with 4% left. I had some issues getting it working. At first I did not seat the charger well enough into the port. That faulted the charger. I had to wait for it to be reset so i sat in may care listening to the radio. When it was ready, the car was still "on" (in the Acc mode) and that caused a "vehicle fault". A few more mins for that fault and I read in the manual that the emergency brake should be engaged for using the QC - which seemed odd, but I did it and this time the charging worked fine.

I took some pics to share the experience. I was fortunate enough to get an inside pic of the QC while the incredibly helpful CBRE guys were clearing the faults. Pretty cool stuff. Note the amazing time vs charge. I need one of these at home :)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vb4io8qway2pa77/tqvKtg5_It" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never used the Emergency Brake when QCing and I have never had an issue...

jkallen21 said:
A few more mins for that fault and I read in the manual that the emergency brake should be engaged for using the QC - which seemed odd, but I did it and this time the charging worked fine.

I got my first QC a few days ago as well. We've had a leaf for 3 years but we did not have the QC option until we traded up to a 2013 last week. I was very impressed by how fast the Leaf recharged. We were at about 60% charge before we started and within 5 minutes it was nearly done. It took a long time to get from 90% to 100%, though. I had expected that anyway, from what I've read on here.

Pretty much everyone's first CHAdeMO story is like yours. Mine too: bunch of fumbling around and wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do. We hate on Frankenplug a lot, but you just line that one up and push.

Back