USB Wall Outlets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

I wanted to add some USB charging outlets on either side of our bed and found these. I have a dual gang box on either side of the bed just above the nightstands, which included an Insteon Keypad/Dimmer in one side and a never-unused outlet in the other. I removed the outlet and replaced it with the Quad USB Charger version. I went with the Quad rather than Dual version since I wanted to use the exiting dual box and dual cover and it is the same form factor as the dual outlet I removed. They work well and have no vampire load, which is nice. I also like the sliding cover. The only downsides are that they are a touch pricey and that they are fairly deep so they use up pretty much their whole side of the box. Interestingly, the entire device is totally plastic and has only a hot and neutral lead, no ground. I suspect this was done for safety and UL reasons...

http://currentwerks.com/products-page/usb-wall-outlets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a neat 'find'. Interesting that the dual unit provides 2.1 Amp which is exactly what the iPad wall wart is rated at. I might just have to put that dual unit in the kitchen where the iPad is most often used. Don't really need it, but it is a neat gadget.

Bill

TomT said:
I wanted to add some USB charging outlets on either side of our bed and found these. I have a dual gang box on either side of the bed just above the nightstands, which included an Insteon Keypad/Dimmer in one side and a never-unused outlet in the other. I removed the outlet and replaced it with the Quad USB Charger version. I went with the Quad rather than Dual version since I wanted to use the exiting dual box and dual cover and it is the same form factor as the dual outlet I removed. They work well and have no vampire load, which is nice. I also like the sliding cover. The only downsides are that they are a touch pricey and that they are fairly deep so they use up pretty much their whole side of the box. Interestingly, the entire device is totally plastic and has only a hot and neutral lead, no ground. I suspect this was done for safety and UL reasons...

http://currentwerks.com/products-page/usb-wall-outlets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am going to call it the Vincent van Gogh inspired outlet!
duo1.jpg

There is also this one, that uses Decora Style outlets, they are $27.99 each, but if you buy 2, then they are $22.99 each (2 or more)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer+Technology/PWR2USB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man I sure wish USB was the ONLY charging standard for gadgets, cell phones, etc. Soon even the majority of notebooks could be charged via USB, but the manufactures love their proprietary charging schemes. If USB were the only standard, it might even drive small scale solar charging sales. There are some USB solar chargers around for ~$35 but given how few devices actually charge via USB, its not of much value. However, if everything was USB those solar charges would be ~20$ and a must have item!

Back