USB port on Leaf cannot be used to charge device

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lchen5

I just got Leaf a couple weeks back, and today I just realized that USB port on Leaf only can be used to read device, not for charging device.

Is this true that USB is only for reading ?

The USB port on the 2013 Leaf will charge the device plugged into it. I have run into a couple times where my iPhone (previously 4s, now 5s) wouldn't charge. I believe I corrected that by rebooting the iPhone.

I connected my HTC One X mobile phone. It doesn't charge.
I also connected FreedomPop 3G/4G hotspot device, it does not charge too.

Let me try my wife iPhone to see if it does charge. I didn't find owner manual mention it can charge device.

The USB port conforms to industry specifications of .5A of power available. Some Devices (Apple) require 2A to charge.

Correction: They require 2 amps to charge at maximum speed... They will charge just fine on ports with less current capability, just much slower. I charge my iPad 2 on a .5 amp port all the time. It charges much slower than it would from its 2.1 amp charger but still charges fine nonetheless.

GlennD said:
The USB port conforms to industry specifications of .5A of power available. Some Devices (Apple) require 2A to charge.

2013 Leaf SV- Droid Razr's current Android Won't charge, and cycles trying to mount USB

Tries to mount USB, charge light comes on, then fails, then repeats.

Tried with USB and MTP mode.

Same phone works perfectly with Altima and other OEM systems. Also streams perfectly.

Solution was to put a flush mount 2.1A (max) USB charger in the cig lighter. It's only hot when the accy is on.

Would prefer for the built in USB port to work, but was not worth fighting with.

As an aside, comments about the integral Nav/audio as being outdated are dead on. Compared to other OEM and non-OEM systems it feels at least 5 years behind with the exception of the carwings type functionality.

Maybe it gets better with time, but simple things seem quite hard:
- Cancel a nav route (one button on modern navs)
- Click a POI or waypoint to display info. Perfect fit for charge locations, but just recenters the map
- Trip/waypoint type functions on routes completely missing
- Tedious to adjust volume on nav except when it's talking. (Ex: It mutes very low when on phone, no way to turn louder or repeat turn info.)

I still like the SV, but I see now why the local dealers stock and push the S with quick charge upgrade so much.

TomT said:
Correction: They require 2 amps to charge at maximum speed... They will charge just fine on ports with less current capability, just much slower. I charge my iPad 2 on a .5 amp port all the time. It charges much slower than it would from its 2.1 amp charger but still charges fine nonetheless.
Agree, but doesn't the iPad report not charging? Mine does, and perhaps that is what others are seeing, and therefore believe it is not charging.

Yes, that is true when in fact it is charging just fine... The iPad and iPhone is also a little weird in that it uses a bias voltage on the USB data pins to denote the charging source's capability. In the absence of this - I don't know if the Leaf implements it - it will still charge but may indicate that it is in fact not...

http://voltaicsystems.com/blog/choosing-usb-pin-voltages-for-iphones-and-ipads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebill3 said:
TomT said:
Agree, but doesn't the iPad report not charging? Mine does, and perhaps that is what others are seeing, and therefore believe it is not charging.

I've been charging an old iPod exclusively using Leaf's USB (both '11 and '13).

But it won't charge my Samsung & now Nokia smart phones.

Same problem I had and so I bought one of each of these;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C0QWEK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I charge 3X faster than the LEAF USB port and the cable does not block my drinks.

KillaWhat said:
My I phone will charge, but everytime I plug it in, it starts playing Music :lol:

I've noticed my phone charges at various rates when connected to the LEAF. I'll take measurements to determine amperage once I get out of work, but I have a suspicion it has to do with whether or not the head unit is set to USB.

Phones have to negotiate with the USB controller on the host device to determine that maximum amperage. I suspect if it's unable to negotiate, it defaults to ~500mA and charges slowly. If it is able to negotiate, I'll bet it pulls much more.

So far, I have never had problems charging my phones and electronic devices via the USB port (thats all assuming that the car is on, tee hee :D ). Granted all charged using the standard USB speed (i.e. 0.5A) in my 2011 Leaf.

Nexus One
iPhone 4
Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)
iPod Nano (Third Gen)
iPod Nano (Fourth Gen)
Nexus 7 (2012)
Nexus 7 (2013)

My suspicion is that the Nav unit USB charging behavior is different than the non-nav. So all the "I charge fine" comments need to mention if they have Nav or not.

There is clearly an interaction between the USB mounting in the Nav unit. Our phones charge while the Nav tries to sort it, then stop when the Nav issues an error trying to mount the USB.

Regarding the bias voltage for Ipods, most Android phones ignore that and focus just on whether it's just a standard USB (500ma) or "Fast" or "A/C" charger (Greater than 500ma) Both apple and standard USB fast chargers have the data pins shorted together to indicated charging beyond 500ma. Since the Nav unit uses the data lines, it will never show as an "A/C" or fast charger.

Just was easier to put a decent USB charger in the cig light jack.

All vehicles except the 2013 S have Nav...

Pinzgauer said:
My suspicion is that the Nav unit USB charging behavior is different than the non-nav. So all the "I charge fine" comments need to mention if they have Nav or not.

TomT said:
All vehicles except the 2013 S have Nav...

Understood... and the 2013 S with QC is the top seller in our area, probably 5:1 based on stock levels I've seen and dealer discussion.

Don't know how that pans out nationwide.

Just sayin that the Leaf Nav definitely is involved in the charging problem we see on our family phones. Yet I can plug them into an Altima and other OEM Nav's and they work fine.

Back