US EVSE Level 1 input voltage vs. European voltage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jexpert

First of all - Greetings to all of you. This is my first thread and I don't even own a Leaf - yet.
I have just sold my 2002 Mercedes ML500 and after a quick drive in a Leaf, I am very close to buy a 2012 US model on eBay.

I sense that I'll have an upcoming issue and it is that I live in Greenland and our outlet voltage is 220V / 50Hz (european plug).
I have searched quite a bit on this, but did not find a thread that answered my question specifically.

As far as I understand the supplied US EVSE is restricted to 120V only? Is this correct or not?
I was hoping that it was able to do 110-240V, like most other electrical appliances these days.

If it's only 120V cabable, what are my options?
I read somewhere about having the Level 1 charger modified to be a Level 1/2. Does this mean that it is cabable of of 110-240V input voltage?
Or do I need to buy a new EVSE? In that case, where to buy a 220V version and what is the price range?

I really hope that you guys are able to help me. I do not want to receive my Leaf and be unable to charge it from day one and since that shipping to Greenland can be extremely slow, I need to be well prepared.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. Phil at http://EVSEUpgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; does upgrades of the US EVSEs so that they will work from 100-240v. He has an extensive FAQ, but I know for a fact that he has sold several mods specifically so that people could use them on European power systems. You could also buy a Euro EVSE, but this would be cheaper.

The european EVSE units are set to a lower amp rating depending on the country. It can still be upgraded to a higher output level depending on the county.

Back