URGENT - North Bay Nissan not taking PenFed check

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pl804

Hi, anyone purchased a Leaf from North Bay Nissan?

Am here at the dealership but they are not accepting the check from PenFed - they said the do not accept draft checks (checks from a bank) - they only accept personal checks, or they will try to get me financing.

I've already spent a lot of time researching auto loans and have already taken the credit search hit for pulling the PenFed loan, so don't want to go through this again.

They want me to do an either/or contract with them.

You could tell them you are willing to wait for the PenFed check to clear their bank before you drive away with the car.

Hopefully this isn't a case of them trying to strong-arm you into taking their financing, which they make money on.

So they wont accept a check backed by a bank, but will take a personal check that could easily be bad?
Sounds like a load of crap to me.
Maybe they want you to walk away from the deal, so they can mark it up to MSRP + 11k.

I got mine from NB Nissan using a cashier's check from Redwood CU. No problems, no hassle, no hard selling. Talk to Ron Corey; since they are #1 LEAF dealer I'm sure they have done dozens of these transaction.

I too bought from NB Nissan - and there was no pressure to buy or finance, or even to buy extended warranty. I paid by personal check. no complaints.

Fiestatrio, I love your icon photo - is that a tiny LEAF (where can I get one?) or is that a Photoshop trick? Also, did you order your HOV sticker before getting your plates?

The 'hot wheels' LEAF was a xmas present from my wife as she thought that was the only way a LEAF would arrive in 2010 (and for us she was right). She got it on Ebay. Other people have posted their's here. Color is really close match. In this forum back around Jan someone posted a picture of their little red LEAF on the hood of their actual red LEAF.

I did order my HOV stickers right after taking possession of the car and I put "new" in the field for License # (you have to enter VIN in another field). When the HOV stickers came it had my license # on the HOV registration.

NB Nissan had all the forms in the packet of info I left the dealership with.

The little Leafs are available on eBay directly from China for about $40..

leafonleaf.jpg

leafonleaf1.jpg

pl804 said:
Hi, anyone purchased a Leaf from North Bay Nissan?

Am here at the dealership but they are not accepting the check from PenFed - they said the do not accept draft checks (checks from a bank) - they only accept personal checks, or they will try to get me financing.

I've already spent a lot of time researching auto loans and have already taken the credit search hit for pulling the PenFed loan, so don't want to go through this again.

They want me to do an either/or contract with them.
I'd agree with the rest of the the folks. Talk to Ron. I paid with a personal check and no questions asked. I did buy the extended warranty. No pressure.

Thanks folks.

So here's what happened:

They didn't budge and didn't want to talk to PenFed when I got them on the phone, though they did for a bit when we started talking about what the heck a draft check is. So I prepped to pay out of a personal check, then as we were going through the paperwork, just decided to go with their either/or contract where they offered financing at 2.4% for 60 mos. It's a good rate, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. One person who looked at the PenFed check said Wachovia Bank doesn't exist anymore. (It does, as part of Wells Fargo.)

Anyway, that aside, rest of the stuff was ok. Bought extended warranty and even the maintenance pack. Bummed that there weren't any type of floor mats in the car w/o the package order. Made it home with 5 mi. left on capacity. (78 mi. from Petaluma to Palo Alto.) Lots of range anxiety. =)

pl804 said:
Bought extended warranty and even the maintenance pack.
Maintenance pack?
SteveInSeattle said:
how much is everyone paying for the extended warranty?
This is one of a couple of threads that covers your question http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3426

I paid 1120 for 96m/100K mi. I declined the money back guarantee for $300 more, which says if you file NO claims, at the end of the warranty period, they pay you back the premium.

Maintenance pack is all of the recommended maintenance in the service guide for a preset price. Mine was $572 for Schedule 1 for up to 75K miles.

We bought from Northbay Nissan on April 26 with a Comerica bank check. No issues. We bought a service contract(extended warranty) for around $1K for 72 mo./100K miles and they said it was refundable if not used over the covered duration. They didn't call out a $300 fee for this feature.

Back