Upper class people are more likely to behave selfishly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeD

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/27/upper-class-people-behave-selfishly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was interested in the car behavior tendencies. Do Leaf owners drive differently in their Leaf than their second car?

I am sooo not surprised. I've never met such rude drivers as those crusty affluent in Carmel By The Sea, CA. Those people purposely ran right through 4-way stops signs and would not let you have a turn to proceed. I finally got mad enough to just thrust my rental car into the intersection, daring them to hit me with their expensive jalopies! :lol: They did not leave a good impression on me.

Do Leaf owners drive differently in their Leaf than their second car?

What second car? I drive differently now, get honked at for coasting for regen as I approach a red light. I really want to ask the ICEs why they want to maintain speed to get to a red light a little sooner.

DesertDenizen said:
I really want to ask the ICEs why they want to maintain speed to get to a red light a little sooner.

Exactly. I can never understand the urge to go fast, only to stop at red light. I have had many instances I coasted, timed the lights and I easily passed all the cars that passed me and stopped at the light. Because for an ICE it takes quite a bit of effort and time to go from zero to 40.

TomT said:
No surprise here... Just look at Republicans in general! :lol:
Seriously, TomT? Can't you act better than that? Are you so blinded by political propaganda that you feel confident in labeling people?

I think a better question would be - can the rich empathize with the poor. The answer is obviously yes - from Budha to Gandhi many were born rich but lived for the poor.

But, do an average rich person empathize with the poor as much as a poor person. Unsurprisingly, the answer is no.

DesertDenizen said:

What second car? I drive differently now, get honked at for coasting for regen as I approach a red light. I really want to ask the ICEs why they want to maintain speed to get to a red light a little sooner.

For time to check their cell phones.

leafedbehind said:
DesertDenizen said:

For time to check their cell phones.

Yes! Thanks, I forget that obvious phenomenon, as I don't own a cell phone.

eclecticflower said:
I am sooo not surprised. I've never met such rude drivers as those crusty affluent in Carmel By The Sea, CA. Those people purposely ran right through 4-way stops signs and would not let you have a turn to proceed. I finally got mad enough to just thrust my rental car into the intersection, daring them to hit me with their expensive jalopies! :lol: They did not leave a good impression on me.

I think that you might be assigning their poor driving to their affluence without considering some of their other fine points, namely that they're mostly old, and probably half blind and deaf. The ones you encountered are actually likely to be lovely people, they just shouldn't be driving. Their poster child is, after all, their former mayor, Clint "Get off my lawn" Eastwood. :D

Boomer23 said:
eclecticflower said:

I think that you might be assigning their poor driving to their affluence without considering some of their other fine points, namely that they're mostly old, and probably half blind and deaf. The ones you encountered are actually likely to be lovely people, they just shouldn't be driving. Their poster child is, after all, their former mayor, Clint "Get off my lawn" Eastwood. :D

Yeah, that quaint little 4-way stop may be the most complex traffic they've encountered in decades. :p

Actually I get the feeling that they're fairly resentful of all the tourists that crowd into their quiet little town. I'll bet they're a lot less curmudgeonly in the off-season.

Nope, they were downright rude and not all of them were old/too blind to see a stop sign. Their noses were just too high in the air to see everyone stopped at them. :lol: I went there in the off-season and spent considerable green in their quaint little shops and upscale eateries. They just did not have any courtesy (or give a damn about traffic rules, regardless of tourists, by whose patronage many of them make their living). Entitled and Unfriendly. Some shopkeepers were very accommodating, friendly. I didn't let the bad apples keep me from going back there, however, I just returned their play in my rental cars. They wouldn't dare broadside a lowly Mustang with their Mercedes', Rolls Royces, Ferraris and Jaguars. :roll:

Sadly, that news article was spot on. :(

Kathy

mkjayakumar said:
DesertDenizen said:
I really want to ask the ICEs why they want to maintain speed to get to a red light a little sooner.

Exactly. I can never understand the urge to go fast, only to stop at red light. I have had many instances I coasted, timed the lights and I easily passed all the cars that passed me and stopped at the light. Because for an ICE it takes quite a bit of effort and time to go from zero to 40.
Because its FUN! What more reason do you need?

Back