Updated range information tab

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of snow, and ice, I wonder how the Leaf is going to perform in situations when one gets stuck or has to fight its way up a hill in the stuff?

An electric motor produces full torgue from stop, and there's no transmission to select a higher gear? The weight may help some, but the Leaf will be more prone to the wheels not being able to gain and hold traction than an ICE car?

LakeLeaf said:
I'm in California and every few years have enough snow that I use the upstairs windows for the front door!

Yodrak said:
Speaking of snow, and ice, I wonder how the Leaf is going to perform in situations when one gets stuck or has to fight its way up a hill in the stuff?

An electric motor produces full torgue from stop, and there's no transmission to select a higher gear? The weight may help some, but the Leaf will be more prone to the wheels not being able to gain and hold traction than an ICE car?

The LEAF comes standard with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and a Traction Control System (TCS). The first (VDC) is for preventing loss of control in a slippery environment. It uses multiple sensors and will reduce throttle (drive-by-wire) and apply brakes (individually if needed) to slow and properly orient the car. The second (TCS) will reduce throttle when wheel slip is sensed via the anti-lock brake wheel sensors. :)

Thank you for this explanation, good information. (My wife has trouble with ice as snow, as the side of her car can attest. In her country neither the cars nor the houses have heaters.)

LEAFguy said:
Yodrak said:

The LEAF comes standard with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and a Traction Control System (TCS). The first (VDC) is for preventing loss of control in a slippery environment. It uses multiple sensors and will reduce throttle (drive-by-wire) and apply brakes (individually if needed) to slow and properly orient the car. The second (TCS) will reduce throttle when wheel slip is sensed via the anti-lock brake wheel sensors. :)

Thanks for the VDC and TCS info!

Here in the San Bernardino Mountains east of L.A., we don't get as much snow as Tahoe, but we still get plenty. This year we were able to ski until the middle of May! Our intention is to purchase "Spikes Spider" traction devices for our LEAF, as they are more convenient than tire chains:

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

Also, does anyone know if Nissan is going to offer different tire options? Even if it means sacrificing a bit of range, I'd like to put on some decent all season tires that hopefully won't wear out after only 10K miles. (We are doing well if we get 25K miles out of a set of tires here.)

garygid said:
Maybe we can meet at your place for a "real" (around) Christmas celebration?

Absolutely!

I can't promise lots of snow at Christmas - some years we have a lot, some very little.

The past five or six years, we've had a 10-15 foot week sometime during the season. That's really fun as the snowplows have a tough time keeping the roads clear when it really starts to dump.

Ok, this Christmas it will be difficult for most of us to get our LEAFs there. However, my Prius would like to visit, it tells me.

Christmas 2011 might be possible if enough QC stations are available. The stretch from Sacramento up to the lake would be the critical stretch. Perhaps a "fall" first-try trip would be better.

In any case, we will monitor QC installs along I-5 and I-80, and see when that much "roaming" becomes feasible.

Many thanks for your kind invite!

I thought temperature ranges were tested to minus 40?.

I think we all have to consider That extreme temperature Does happen enough To not ignore But at the same time I don't think it should affect my decision To purchase a leaf.

Also i think i'm in a better position Then most people simply because It will be used As a primary commuter for both of us. Because of the disparate working schedules the Leaf will commute 6 days a week. 2-3 a week with a 58 miles roundtrip commute. My commute is 20 miles round trip.

The prius will still be available When weather is an issue.

I wonder how many people remember About the people running out of gas When exiting houston a few years ago During the hurricane. Traffic was so bad they were stuck on the freeway for up to 8 hours In sweltering temperatures many ran out of gas idling a way with the ac running. But the priuses there. Had no problems

Back