Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Can you link to ANY statement anywhere showing how much of the original 16kWh remains on ANY 2011/2012 Volt? If not, then I contend that we are still completely ignorant of that degradation. If I couple that with the many reports from Volt owners that they have not lost any available capacity based on dash gauges and with statements here from Scott200 (a moderator over there, IIRC) that the idea posted by Lyle that GM gradually gradually releases more percentage of the battery as it degrades is a "myth" then I can only conclude that some, and likely most, Chevy Volt owners believe that their batteries have not degraded.
You are right that is what the article from Lyle stated. People with DashDAQ have not see any change after two+ years tho. Not sure if I have (27 months) as it is hard to judge from one year to the next with varying weather and use of climate controls.
26-Oct-2010 http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/26/chevrolet-volt-will-utilize-10-4-kwh-of-battery-to-achieve-ev-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As the battery ages and energy storage capacity of the lithium-ion cells degrades, control units will widen the percent state of charge band to continue to deliver the range goal.
By 8 years/100,000 mile when the battery warranty ends, GM expects the car’s range to be reduced by 10 to 30 percent in the worst case. Some customers will experience less degradation. The car can continue to drive beyond that point, but range will continue to contract.
There are days when I drive over 40-45 miles and have for the past couple years. If my Volt battery capacity goes down in a few years and I can only go 37 miles, I'm still OK and it does not alter my driving or places I go. I guess I could relate this to winter driving as my range goes down to ~30 but I just drive the same places.

RegGuheert said:
Volusiano said:
And it's wrong for RegGuheert to think that Volt owners are blissfully ignorant about the fact that their batteries are degrading.
Can you link to ANY statement anywhere showing how much of the original 16kWh remains on ANY 2011/2012 Volt? If not, then I contend that we are still completely ignorant of that degradation.
No. And neither can you. So while for certain there has been some wear on Volt battery packs, it is quite possible (and likely given the user-data we have seen) that the Volt's pack is much more durable over time than the LEAFs, even in mild climates.

So to blindly state that a Volt pack will not last as long under your particular operating conditions makes a lot of assumptions, many of which are not likely to be true.

Of course, maybe the LEAFs gauges are so bad that they are completely overstating capacity loss by an order of magnitude. In which case we should be pleasantly surprised once we go in for the software update.

RegGuheert said:
Volusiano said:
And it's wrong for RegGuheert to think that Volt owners are blissfully ignorant about the fact that their batteries are degrading.
Can you link to ANY statement anywhere showing how much of the original 16kWh remains on ANY 2011/2012 Volt? If not, then I contend that we are still completely ignorant of that degradation.
Ill be the first to say that the Volt has plenty of issues, and that gm-volt only allows overly positive posts, however, if GM has done anything with the Volt, they have overly protected the battery.

The TMS maintains the battery at ideal temperature regardless of ambient temperature. The battery is pampered by not charging much and not discharging much. About a third of the battery capacity goes unutilized to help battery longevity.

There's a YouTube video from a Tesla engineer presenting at stanford who states that properly maintaining a lithium ion battery, by regulating temperature and limiting max and min charge, can allow the battery to go through tens of thousands of charge discharge cycles with minimal capacity degradation.

It is therefore very reasonable that there is minimal loss of battery capacity in the Volt even in Arizona, even after years of use. I'm sure GM is monitoring battery health very closely as is nissan. It's an experiment for both of them to determine how much TMS and what charging range is worth using. It's a trade off of cost vs longevity. The Leaf could not afford to use so little battery capacity and add a power consuming TMS. It would reduce the range to be unusable, or require an expensive, heavy and bulky ICE like the Volt. Or the Leaf could add a TMS, use smaller percentage of the battery, but just make the battery bigger. But then you end up with something priced closer to a Tesla. It's a tough balancing act and I think all the players are experimenting and trying to sort it out while waiting for battery technology improvements.

drees said:
...Of course, maybe the LEAFs gauges are so bad that they are completely overstating capacity loss by an order of magnitude. In which case we should be pleasantly surprised once we go in for the software update.

So, if many or most of the capacity-bar-loss LEAFs from hot climates, some of whose drivers have insisted that their gid meters, SOC readers, or battery apps have proven that their batteries degradation matches the bar display, come back from the software update with more capacity bars than they went in with, you think that the typical reaction will be pleasant surprise?

scottf200 said:
People with DashDAQ have not see any change after two+ years tho.
I think you have mentioned DashDAQ to me before and I looked around. IIRC, there was an early version of DashDAQ that could report Volt battery degradation data. One of the beta testers reported this. But he later stated that the vendor was NOT allowed by GM to continue reporting the pertinent data that allowed the reading of that data. If people are still able to track degradation, can you please point me to the pertinent theads.
scottf200 said:
There are days when I drive over 40-45 miles and have for the past couple years. If my Volt battery capacity goes down in a few years and I can only go 37 miles, I'm still OK and it does not alter my driving or places I go. I guess I could relate this to winter driving as my range goes down to ~30 but I just drive the same places.
Again, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. It's quite a brilliant strategy for an EV with a range extender. But I don't think it is particularly attractive for a BEV with such a limited battery capacity as the Nissan LEAF.

edatoakrun said:
So, if many or most of the capacity-bar-loss LEAFs from hot climates, some of whose drivers have insisted that their gid meters, SOC readers, or battery apps have proven that their batteries degradation matches the bar display, come back from the software update with more capacity bars than they went in with, you think that the typical reaction will be pleasant surprise?

If there is a change for the better in those secondary instruments too...sure!

RegGuheert said:
Volusiano said:
So the difference is not because GM hid the capacity information and Nissan didn't. The difference is because GM has TMS to slow down capacity loss while Nissan doesn't.
This is where we differ. While I agree that TMS is needed where you live, I also believe that the battery in the Chevy Volt would degrade FASTER where I live since the TMS buys us very little, but the smaller battery would receive a higher DOD on each trip we take. TMS is not a cure-all.
Reg, interesting discussion. While it's reasonable to assume that GM is gradually opening up the usable battery capacity range in the Volt, the driver community unfortunately does not have access to some important pieces of information, which makes these discussions so contentious. I agree that the LEAF is likely the better choice for your use case. That's why I selected it also, even though I nearly traded it for a Volt when I struggled to make it work due to lack of charging infrastructure. I even made the same assumption that a TMS would not add any value at my place of residence. That said, I was surprised to learn that calender aging was the main driving factor in capacity loss. This is where a TMS or a sensible cooling arrangement in the garage could help.

One of the Phoenix owners had a swamp cooler in his garage, which he installed when he drove another EV in the past. He lost the first capacity bar after 16 months, when most reports seem to indicate that about 12 months were to be expected for 2011/2012 LEAFs in Phoenix. This is very anecdotal, but it does seem to support the notion that a TMS can effectively slow degradation. Degradation wouldn't be zero with a TMS, obviously, but it should progress slower. That said, it's difficult to estimate the impact of calender aging and cycling on a battery without a proper lab test. All the manufacturers have done that, but they are not sharing enough data with their buyers and drivers to allow a qualified comparison of the longevity and performance of these batteries.

While it could be argued that a TMS in a particular climate would slow aging by 30% or 50% (I picked these are numbers from thin air), it's difficult to compare batteries based on their basic chemistry. LG could have made some tweaks to the electrolyte in order to make the cells more heat-resistant. They are already reportedly using a hard anode, instead of graphite powder, which should help improve cycle life according to Charles Whalen. Volt's TMS was carefully designed to keep temperature gradients across each cell to a minimum. There are other interesting design decisions they made, the list goes on. While it's difficult to estimate the real-world contribution of all these factors, it's probably not fair to say that the Volt is only doing better because GM masks capacity loss. It's likely a combination of factors, which you acknowledged, I believe.

My point is that it's difficult to make these comparisons when shopping for an EV or EREV. The batteries could have sufficiently different behavior, even if their basic chemistry was identical. The TMS, while no silver bullet, likely does help slow degradation noticeably, at least at the beginning of the life of the vehicle, when calendar degradation drowns out cycling losses. I don't have much data to back this up, but I believe that Nissan did not include a TMS to keep the cost down. That and perhaps gain more space for passengers. They likely simulated different climates in their lab, and determined that a ten year of life can be expected from the battery. This is likely when the average degradation figures were determined also. This does not mean however, that a driver in Phoenix can expect the same results like someone in Seattle or in London. Unfortunately, it appears that a lot of this information was lost in translation.
capwarrantymnl

Edit: I see that drees and dm33 have already said most of the things I meant to address in my post, and I agree with them.

drees said:
RegGuheert said:
...I contend that we are still completely ignorant of that degradation.
No. And neither can you.
That's exactly why I said we are completely ignorant of Volt battery degradation.
drees said:
So while for certain there has been some wear on Volt battery packs, it is quite possible (and likely given the user-data we have seen) that the Volt's pack is much more durable over time than the LEAFs, even in mild climates.
Since NO LEAF in a mild climate has degraded to the point where the battery has lost four (or even three) capacity bars (which is equivalent to the provided capacity of a Volt pack when new), I know of no data to support your claim. If there is such a LEAF in existence, the owner can take the vehicle in to Nissan to have the problem addressed under the new capacity warranty.

I will go one step further and state that I know of exactly NO evidence that the LG Chem chemistry used in the Chevy Volt is more robust than the AESC chemistry used in the LEAF, even though I have seen many, many claims here that it is more robust. Given the vacuum of data that exists, as far as I am concerned, it is just as equally likely that the AESC chemistry has superior life characteristics to the LG Chem. we simply do not know.
drees said:
So to blindly state that a Volt pack will not last as long under your particular operating conditions makes a lot of assumptions, many of which are not likely to be true.
I have not blindly stated anything. In another thread I have provided six months of driving history for our LEAF and have demonstrated that each and every trip in the Volt would result in a deeper discharge than on our LEAF. In the absence of anything that tells me that the LG Chem chemistry is FAR superior to the LEAFs chemistry, I must conclude that the Volt battery will degrade faster. I have discussed all of my assumptions in detail elsewhere.
drees said:
Of course, maybe the LEAFs gauges are so bad that they are completely overstating capacity loss by an order of magnitude. In which case we should be pleasantly surprised once we go in for the software update.
Frankly, I doubt it, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

RegGuheert said:
I will go one step further and state that I know of exactly NO evidence that the LG Chem chemistry used in the Chevy Volt is more robust than the AESC chemistry used in the LEAF, even though I have seen many, many claims here that it is more robust. Given the vacuum of data that exists, as far as I am concerned, it is just as equally likely that the AESC chemistry is has superior life characteristics to the LG Chem. we simply do not know.
Another fair point. While at it, I would mention that we have some data from voltstats.net. Some Volts have racked up significant mileage already and given their smaller battery and EV-range, some of them will soon approach the same number of cycles Steve Marsh has put on his LEAF. We know from him that he is seeing about 20% range loss, even though only one capacity bar was lost. If you wanted to be conservative and assume 10% battery degradation, this type of capacity loss could be easily hidden in a Volt by opening up the unused SOC range. If you took a more aggressive stance and accepted the 20% range loss at its face value, we could start seeing range loss reports from high-mileage Volts relatively soon (within a year or two). This assumes that when degradation due to cycling progressed rapidly, there is not enough unused capacity to mask it. Either way, it might be worth watching these high-mileage cars. There was another report from someone who purchased a vehicle that baked on a dealer parking lot unplugged for a year. This owner claimed to see a reduced EV range. I did not follow the story to see if a warranty repair was performed or not (search the Volt forum for 'a tale of two Volts').

surfingslovak said:
Reg, interesting discussion.
No argument with what you have written, slovak. Nice post!

I will only add that I think most people comparing the LEAF and the Volt fail to notice that because the Volt battery only has about 2/3 the capacity of the LEAF battery that each and every trip in the Volt cycles the battery harder than the LEAF would UNLESS the trip consumes more than about 14kWh in the LEAF. The Volt battery system has to overcome this additional cycling to offer a benefit to the user. GM's design of both the TMS and the BMS provide real benefits over Nissan's battery system. In my case, I do not think they can overcome the additional cycling losses that would occur in a Volt.

What I think was a shock to many people (and perhaps Nissan) is that for the battery chemistry in the LEAF, many places in CA result in significant battery degradation beyond what was expected or considered acceptable. As you said, surfingslovak, you were surprised to learn that calendar aging was so significant where you live. This fact is a big deal, and I am not in any way minimizing it. But I do think Nissan's warranty both helps warn future owners while possibly giving some aid to existing owners.

mwalsh said:
edatoakrun said:

If there is a change for the better in those secondary instruments too...sure!

Well, then it sounds like it should be easy for Nissan to keep everyone happy!

Just update the software on hot-climate LEAFs so they show the same (minimal) capacity loss from all those sources.

But it sounds like Nissan may also need to Leave the cold-climate LEAFs software unchanged, so as to keep those LEAFers happy also, and not to have any of them coming back from the update with lower gid counts and fewer bars than they went in with...

surfingslovak
...We know from him (Steve Marsh in cool Washington) that he is seeing about 20% range loss, even though only one capacity bar was lost...

I'm not sure I accept that premise since the usable range of the battery in the Volt is purposely much more limited than that in the Leaf. That alone should decrease the stress on the battery and the subsequent degradation... Add in TMS and I expect Volt batteries will be doing fine well after Leaf batteries are junk...

RegGuheert said:
I will only add that I think most people comparing the LEAF and the Volt fail to notice that because the Volt battery only has about 2/3 the capacity of the LEAF battery that each and every trip in the Volt cycles the battery harder than the LEAF would UNLESS the trip consumes more than about 14kWh in the LEAF.

i have no bar loss but some capacity loss. i function in a close-to-ideal climate along CA coast, charge to 80% for a 50-mile workday commute.
i am not going to run in and get the software update. i am accustomed to the current OS and dont really want to learn a new one.
i am still disrupted from getting new MXVs with accompanying range loss, and that was in October.

TomT said:
I'm not sure I accept that premise since the usable range of the battery in the Volt is purposely much more limited than that in the Leaf. That alone should decrease the stress on the battery and the subsequent degradation...
The limits only makes a difference if you actually USE more of the battery's capacity.

Imagine you set a LEAF to charge to 80% each day and drive 40 miles every day. In that scenario, the Volt will charge to 85% SOC and cycle down to 20% each day. The LEAF will charge to 80% SOC each day and discharge to about 35%. In other words, it will neither go as high OR as low as the Volt and each cycle is only 2/3 of what occurs in the Volt. The TMS will only improve things if the temperature gets high. When it is chilly, the LEAF may cycle closer to the Volt, but still it likely is not as hard on the battery.

RegGuheert said:
Imagine you set a LEAF to charge to 80% each day and drive 40 miles every day. In that scenario, the Volt will charge to 85% SOC and cycle down to 20% each day. The LEAF will charge to 80% SOC each day and discharge to about 35%. In other words, it will neither go as high OR as low as the Volt and each cycle is only 2/3 of what occurs in the Volt. The TMS will only improve things if the temperature gets high. When it is chilly, the LEAF may cycle closer to the Volt, but still it likely is not as hard on the battery.

Your Volt numbers seem off. For the 2011 and 2012 Volts, 10.4 kWh of 16 kWh on the Volt are usable so that's only 65% at full charge. Once the range extender kicks in, it's 6 kWh of 16 remaining, or 37.5%. So it's only cycling between 65% and 37.5%.

Also, the TMS will warm the battery, but only kick in at 25 degrees F.

RegGuheert said:
TomT said:
I'm not sure I accept that premise since the usable range of the battery in the Volt is purposely much more limited than that in the Leaf. That alone should decrease the stress on the battery and the subsequent degradation...
The limits only makes a difference if you actually USE more of the battery's capacity.

The argument about a shallower depth of discharge (DOD) being better than a deeper DOD only holds water if there's a linear relationship between "stress to the battery" vs SOC curve. Now I have never seen such curve and I don't know if anybody has ever been able to plot it or not, but if it can be plotted, what if that curve is not a linear relationship?

What if the "stress" reading is high at high SOC (let's say 85%) and high at low SOC (let's say 20%), and relatively flat and low between these 2 points? More like a "U" shape rather than a "V" shape (rotated 90% counterclockwise, of course), if the X axis is for "stress" and Y axis is for SOC. Then it doesn't matter if your DOD is between 85-20 or 80-35% regions, because the "stress" value is the same and flat for both regions if it's a "U" curve.

Just as you can contend that it's a "V" shape, I can contend that it's a "U" shape. Why? Because there's no data to support either contention. But what I know is that I trust GM to understand this characteristic better than any of us and had already ensured to keep the battery operating only in the flat bottom of this "U" curve and keep the operation well away from the 2 end poles of the "U" curve, if it were a "U" curve. If it were a "V" curve, then I hope that GM recognized it and maybe had worked with LG Chem to twist the battery chemistry to turn it more into the "U" curve.

But until there's data to back it up, the obsession with the DOD argument is just simply based on pure speculation and assumption.

TMS will also warm the battery but regardless, only time will tell... What I do know is that we have not heard of one degradation or battery problem from any Volt owner to date...

RegGuheert said:
The TMS will only improve things if the temperature gets high. When it is chilly, the LEAF may cycle closer to the Volt, but still it likely is not as hard on the battery.

Volusiano said:
But until there's data to back it up, the obsession with the DOD argument is just simply based on pure speculation and assumption.
While there may be variance among different Lithium ion chemistries, it appears that DOD is considered to be a significant factor affecting cycle life:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another reference in the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I would consider the DOD affect on cycle life for our battery pack to be an informed guess rather than pure speculation.

Stoaty said:
Volusiano said:
While there may be variance among different Lithium ion chemistries, it appears that DOD is considered to be a significant factor affecting cycle life:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another reference in the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I would consider the DOD affect on cycle life for our battery pack to be an informed guess rather than pure speculation.
Thanks for the data, Stoaty. While I concede that this data shows an informed guess rather than pure speculation, I still question whether the difference between 85-20 and 80-35% DOD in RegGuheert's example is significant enough to obsess over.

Furthermore, it's very situational and may not necessarily be universal. While you can argue that maybe it's a tad better for situations where drivers use 40 miles a day, you can also argue that for situations where drivers need to use 60 miles a day or more, the scenario will be reversed and the LEAF will be forced to reach deeper into its SOC pocket to meet the demand, while the Volt is protected from the deep ends and will be forced to switch over to gas instead. So the DOD issue is not always necessarily an advantageous proposition for the LEAF. At least the Volt has protection from the deep ends while the LEAF is allowed to go all the way from 100% to turtle in one fell swoop.

Why do I feel like this is a debate in the Volt vs LEAF thread that already happened and is being hashed out again here? Maybe we should take it back up over there instead. But I think the same old points have been said and debated already over there anyway.

Back