Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
Unless they learned nothing from the Toyota fiasco, they'll call people in...

davewill said:
The REAL question is whether they will call people in, or just wait for the cars to fail.

If they had they "remote software update" capability we've talked about, they could just relax the restrictions on overages a bit so the cars won't quit, and then take care of the issue on a scheduled dealer visit. Having to do a bunch of emergency fixes at a dealer (e.g. Brendan and Leon) puts quite a strain on the operation.

Hi all,

Well, Nissan certainly seems to be taking my car's problem seriously. I got a call about an hour ago from the dealership. The regional LEAF rep is now there, and they are waiting on more info from a Nissan engineer...don't know where he is located. They are making noise about not getting my LEAF back to me today.

I have to think they are taking this VERY seriously at this point. And I want them to keep it as long as it takes to fix it right the first time. Hey, they don't call us guinea pigs for nothing. :)

Linda

PS. They also have 2 more LEAFs at the Coast Nissan in SLO that they are not letting out to customers until this is resolved.

Just curious. Because the A/C is apparently driven by the main battery and not the 12V, and because the QC charges the main battery directly, is there any correlation with those that have had the problem and whether they have the QC port? I can imagine that the software could be different versions depending on whether you have the QC option or not. If there is a correlation, then maybe those of us without the QC option can relax. Can those that have had the problem post whether they have the QC option or not.

I have the QC port also. However, I don't think we have enough numbers represented here to get significant data. Even if all "four" of us have a QC port, that could easily still be unrelated.

PS. Not really sure how many reports there are in total so far. Has anyone gone back through the thread and counted?

Just got a call from the Service dept. Here's the latest word:

1) Engineering is working on this, and will release updated software to solve this problem.
2) It isn't going to be done today.
3) They are keeping my car over the weekend.

I wonder how long it will be, and I wonder how many cars it really affects??

LindaK

Actually, I'd be a little surprised if it WAS related... Odds are that the software in all the cars is the same and the routines for QC simply active in those cars that are so equipped. It simply makes manufacturing and engineering simplifier...

LindaK said:
I have the QC port also. However, I don't think we have enough numbers represented here to get significant data. Even if all "four" of us have a QC port, that could easily still be unrelated.

I tried to cause the problem today with my LEAF, #257. It is one of the cars that made it to the USA in December. I parked the LEAF in the hottest spot on my property, just to the south of my galvanized tin workshop. OAT about 90-95 degrees. The interior warmed up to well over 100 degrees. I'd stretched the EVSE cord out through a gap and had the car plugged in. After two hours, I started CC remotely, and let it run for an hour. I was a little surprised; I expected it to shut off. Guess that only applies when the car isn't plugged in.

Turned off power, disconnected EVSE, and started the LEAF. No problem. Ran the A/C on high, moved the car back under my carport, shut it off, turned it on, no problem. I'll do some more driving with A/C on in a little while, but my results so far tend to support the theory that the December cars don't have this problem.

Arizona temps tend to run about ten degrees hotter than here, so it is possible that this wasn't a good test. No QC port on my LEAF, just in case that somehow matters.

-Karl

Thanks Karl. My vin is #531 (delivery March 11) and I live right on the coast, so in a very temperate climate. I really don't think outside temp is involved.

Hi everyone again,
It failed me this Friday again.
Here is what happened:
I turned on the climate control inside my garage for two consecutive days and drove off just fine. Today, the temperature is higher; the car parked at the parking lot outside the store. I turned the climate control on from inside the store. I approached the car and when I did not see the a/c light flashing I said to my self "oh not again". I got into the car, turned it on and did not see the car ready button on. Red and yellow master lights are on, ev system, ps and 12 volt battery check lights are on.
When in the shade the remote climate control works fine. In the direct sunlight and on an higher temperature days it fails. It is an a/c.
But why the car is disabled. I was one mile only from courtesy Nissan, Richardson, TX.
Posting from the dealership.
I' so frustrated.

I have to add that I turned the climate control twice once plugged in and unplugged, while the car inside my garage, in the shade without a problem.

Hi, just to answer some questions asked here. I don't think it matters but I have the QC option. ac does not have to be activated by carwings for problem to occur. Car does not have to be driving to occur. Mine happened when running the ac while car was in a garage on a 60f day at the dealership. It happens with ac running plugged in or not plugged in, drive or park, Ready mode or not.

Azdre, sorry to hear about additional problems with your car. Thank you for being so patient and working with Nissan to solve this issue.

I have not used ac yet today but it is warming up and I might try it later today.

Looking through the thread - problem cars are in chronological order of failure:
1. Leafwing
2. Azdre vin 500 SL-e del 3/21
3. Azrich vin 604 SL-e del 3/22
4. Palmermd SL-QC
5. mogur vin 360 SL-e del 3/3
6. LindaK vin 531 SL-QC del 3/11
7. LBCev vin 785 SL-QC
8. WLC vin 854 SL-e
9 Twomets

Two of these could be a different problem as it has not been determined yet.

1. Leafwing
2. Azdre vin 500 SL-e del 3/21
3. Azrich vin 604 SL-e del 3/22
4. Palmermd SL-QC
5. mogur vin 360 SL-e del 3/3
6. LindaK vin 531 SL-QC del 3/11
7. LBCev vin 785 SL-QC
8. WLC vin 854 SL-e
9 Twomets
10. Carlos del 3/31

Also, whoever said dealers are being notified. NOT true. My inlaws just picked up their car an hour ago and the dealer hadn't heard anything about it. And the owner of that dealer also owns my dealership.

Edit: :evil: :twisted: :cry:

azdre said:
Also, whoever said dealers are being notified. NOT true. My inlaws just picked up their car an hour ago and the dealer hadn't heard anything about it. And the owner of that dealer also owns my dealership.

Edit: :evil: :twisted: :cry:

I notified my dealer, sending the URL via email. I suggest others do the same. He wasn't aware of the issue.

-Reddy (and waiting for my new leaf in "Pending")

Hello,

Just a data point: I picked up my LEAF today from Boardwalk (Redwood City). I called first thing this morning to ask about this A/C problem, and could they make sure that my car isn't affected? So they sent it to service to check the refrigerant level--actually they said they couldn't check it, they had to drain it and refill it to the proper level. The car was ready shortly after I finished the paper work. Drove home with A/C on, no problems, but I forgot to try running the A/C while the car was stationary. Now that it's home, I'm not sure I want to try it. :)

Cheers, Wayne

The technician at the dealership was with Nissan on the phone; they re-programmed the vehicle, wireless-ly. He charged the 12 volt battery.
The vehicle is at my garage. The more problems I have with this car, the more I clinched to it. Go figure.
Since the A/C has failed for many owners because of different reasons, the technician told em, that the A/C pulls more power from the battery than it should, as the test results show. I turn the cc on inside the workshop, and outside the workshop in the heat, before I took it back home. It runs just fine. So, I do not know whether this was a temporary fix or not? Would I turn the cc remotely again? I doubt it. The technician assured me that is not going to happen again, but he did assure me last time too.
I will contact Nissan tomorrow for further information.
I do not know if the VIN is relevant but mine is 573. QC on board.
Sipping wine for the rest of the evening,
Cheers

Back