Turtle mode on freeway?!?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krush40

2016 SL - under 50k miles - 8 bars (approved but waiting on parts for warranty replacement)

First off, I’ve been waiting 4 months for parts for battery to be replaced under warranty, but the car has worked for my needs so far.

I know it goes into turtle mode when the battery is REALLY low, but recently while on the freeway it has made the power diverted announcement and lit up the turtle a couple of times. The first few times I didn’t feel any power change, but this morning I think it did just for a second. It’s only happened a few times and went away quickly, but this morning was weirder.

Is there a freeway top end limiter I may be hitting or is the battery showing other signs of disarray?

Thanks!

Classic signs of a weak/bad cell pair. You are already slated for a (full) battery pack replacement--but if you weren't--you would need to deal with the weak cell (and it could be several at this point). At this point, I would be very careful driving at high speed/high acceleration and in cold temps...and keep the pack "topped off" as much as possible to avoid getting stranded.

That makes sense. It’s Southern California, but it’s been chilly.

I’ve tried to keep track whether there’s an immediate drop in capacity on any reading, etc but haven’t noticed anything for sure.

I feel like this mornings blip made the capacity reading drop, but not positive. I know I wasn’t at 100% this morning as I didn’t charge overnight since I think I was already near full. But I didn’t technically look where I was at so I’m not sure.

At 50% so I can definitely get home still. But my commute is usually in rush hour traffic but I’ll avoid higher speeds for sure. I’ve only noticed it when going freeway speed.

krush40 said:
I’ve only noticed it when going freeway speed.

It is not the speed per se that is evoking turtle, but high power demand. E.g., stomping on the go pedal to pass another car. Drive like a Granny. And of course turtle is more disconcerting when it happens at high speeds, so avoid those situations.

What are the chances? As soon as car starts acting up, but before I called them about it, I get a call from dealer saying they were notified parts will arrive by the end of the month.

Should have new battery soon!

Back