Turned around at 20 miles to go get my ICE vehicle!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I bet you could do 85 from top of monument hill to castle rock. There is enough slow traffic these days that its rare you can do that the whole way though. I usually park it in the right lane, plenty of other slower moving traffic... Too much traffic is reason enough to take the side highways sometimes

Nfuzzy said:
Hello from a fellow C Springs Leaf!
I have made a number of trips to the Denver area and beyond in my '15 S with QC no problem. I have posted about some over in the Regional->Mountain States area of this site if you're interested, but I'll recap some more here:

Keep in mind I live near Interquest and I-25, so if you're further south take that into account.

In reasonably warm weather I have driven as far as Louisville a number of times, 82 miles, and have between 17-22% remaining. I have driven to Canopy parking at DIA, 71 miles, with 22% remaining. And to LoDo or Denver museum of Nature and science, 58 miles, I'll have around 50% remaining. This is all in 50-80F whether, little wind, no heat, occasional AC. Haven't nor will I try in winter conditions.

On the way north, relax, drive the speed limit even (on the flats/downhills)! I take monument hill and the hill after castle rock at no more than 60-65, but other than that I keep it between 70-75 for the most part (top speed 80 downhill), even when going much further than Castle rock, so you'll have no problem getting there. Through Denver I keep to the speed limit or 5 over (which still feels slow in Denver traffic).

The way back from Castle rock you'll want to be a bit more conservative, go 65 for the most part, take hwy 83 or 105 if you want a more scenic traffic free drive and you'll save even more power. I usually use about 50% SOC from castle rock to the north end of the springs (33mi) if I keep to 65ish in good weather. I always drive in B mode and no ECO. ECO does nothing for you but I like to use B mode so I have full regen available if bad traffic appears. The trick is just to modulate the pedal to stay near the neutral bubble as much as possible. I try to keep to no more than 3 or 4 bubbles of power up the hills more so than going for a specific speed.

I usually charge at one of the QC's at the south end of Denver for the return trip, not that that applies to you if you're charging in castle rock.

Thanks! (and thanks to the other Castle Rock poster)! Sounds promising for a trip to Castle Rock and even to Denver from Colorado Springs. I'll probably try 105 this weekend. Do you happen to know the speed limit on 105? So when it drops below 50 degrees, you won't try the trip (or any longer trip)? Just curious as Winter approaches in the Springs.

To the other Castle Rock poster (bish79), I saw those charging stations at the hospital also. Good to know those work for you. I may try those if the Walgreens doesn't work out (Walgreens is closer to my destination and looks like it has a coffee shop nearby). Not sure what the poster that said there's 100's of stations in Castle Rock (looking on plugshare) was talking about. There's 3 Level 2's and not one FC. Maybe a different Castle Rock? And I agree with you about the speed. People fly between Colorado Springs and Denver (through Castle Rock). Going too slow can be dangerous.

Thanks for all the other informative posts. I'll definitely favor the SOC instead of the GOM (miles remaining) now. I've always been a very conservative driver so it's not like driving slower is much of an adjustment for me. I have a Jeep wrangler that isn't exactly a speedster so I've been use to slow starts and slower speeds already. I do really like the pep in this Leaf though when economy is off. Wow, does it move (that's coming from a Wrangler the last 8 years, though). Salesperson was trying to tell me only the Nissan GT-R on their lot was faster. I'm not that naive, but I almost believe it.

Careful, that third "level 2 charger" in Castle Rock is just a wall outlet that the owners will let you use. As you probably know by now, 110v wall outlets are nearly useless unless you can park there for 5-10 hours.

So actually the best route that we have found is to get on 105 at Monument, take that up to Palmer Lake where you will go straight when 105 turns left, thus keeping you on Spruce Mountain Road. This will take you through Larkspur and then back onto I-25. Then you get off again at the next exit and you have your pick of two roads that parallel the highway on either side. Either one is good, I think the one to the east side is less used and seems to be in better shape. That will put you right into the heart of Castle Rock and it is just city driving from there. I don't recall the speed limits but I think it is 55 or so the whole way (except in the towns of course) and it is a much more pleasant drive than I-25.

It took me a little while to get used to the excess energy use and loss in "range" on the GOM while going uphill, but with most drives around here it balances out in the end as you make it up going downhill.

All I meant by temps between 50-85F is that is all I have done so far. Actually the last couple times it was in the mid-40's on the way north.. Once you get a feel for the drive I'm sure you could do it in colder temps as long as the weather was nice enough that you didn't need to run the heat (and no chance of snow!)... may just need to slow down a little more. Just get a feel for the drive while the weather is nice and warm first!
105 the speed limit is 45 most of the way if you bear left at palmer lake as opposed to paralleling the interstate as bish suggested... I haven't done that way.
For reference if you take I25 north, I hit the top of monument hill around 79% SOC after going only 12 miles from my house. Then the next 40 or so miles into Denver only uses 30% SOC, so yeah, hills are your friend and your enemy depending on the direction! Keep that %SOC display up on the dash all the time and just get used to how much it takes to get to different destinations. I always reset my trip meter when I charge to full so I have an exact idea of how far I've gone too.

Another "hill" example... Pikes' Peak I used 76% to get to the top and gained back 33% on the way down. :)

It sounds like you are experiencing the exact scenarios that kept me from getting a 2015 Leaf. I, too, live in CO, and I felt that the elevation changes combined with the crazy freeway speeds and conditions here would limit the use of the car for me, so I am waiting for the upgraded battery or getting a Volt.

For those of you not from CO, (or the west in general), speed limits are higher than in the east, and people tend to drive 5-10 over on top of that. The road from Co. Springs to Denver is the I-25 Motor Speedway, with a 70-75MPH speed limit (depending on where you are) and people doing 80-85 MPH. There is probably 5000 feet of total elevation change on that stretch even though you are actually losing elevation from Co. Springs to Denver. You must go over what is called the Palmer Divide, and then there are numerous long rollers. It you tried to go 55 MPH even on the climbs, you would have a semi up your rear in no time. I've lived in and driven every corner of the US and parts of Canada and Europe, and the I-25 Motor Speedway is without a doubt the most recklessly driven highway I've ever seen. The stretch between Denver and Cheyenne is even worse than the stretch between Co. Springs and Denver, IMHO. That stretch is flat and straight, but dozens of people still die there every year because they drive like freaking idiots.

The elevation changes here are different from the east in general. In the east with a few exception, the elevations tend to be 1-2 miles up and another 1-2 miles down, which would allow you to regen on the descents. Here, north to south, the climbs last miles and miles and then the road will level off but still be rolling, and on the downhills you still need to be adding power because the speeds are so high. East to west, from Golden to the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 is basically a 30 mile continuous climb with the exception of a very steep one mile descent. The speed limit on I-70 in that stretch is 65 MPH, but 75 MPH is what the traffic flows at in general. I doubt you could get a Leaf the 40 miles to Summit County from Denver without teeing off a whole bunch of people.

Another difference from the east is that there are very few alternate routes. From I-25 it is about 400 miles to the next north/south Interstate to the east (I-29 through Omaha), and 500 miles (I-15 between SLC and Las Vegas) to the west. For an alternate from Colorado Springs to Denver you still have to climb the Palmer divide, and then the road that parallels the I-25 Motor Speedway is Colorado 105, which is a beautiful two lane foothills road but which would double the amount of time to make the trip. For roads running east and west the alternates are even more sparse; there are basically only five year round highways in the entire 450 mile N/S width of the state and all have very significant elevation changes.

BTW, the speed limit on I-70 in Utah is 80 MPH, and I have seen people fly past cops doing 90 MPH and the cops don't even flinch. I have been passed by people out there who I am sure were going 120 MPH+.

Colorado Springs to Denver is easy. You only use 50% of the battery. Denver to Colorado Springs is tougher, you can use 80%+ of the battery.

This is Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs (Woodmen & I-25 area):
screenshot20141123224239___ervmsFhiA6.png

screenshot20141123224246___qR4xgM5IIh.png

soc___80L8Vpkow1.jpg

Lots more info here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15239&start=20

We have taken the Leaf to Denver many times, and to Ft. Collins the one time. However, it is not worth it. The Arapahoe Nissan dealership is the only lifeline essentially. The last time I made a day trip to Denver to pick up some server equipment (near the IKEA essentially) the Arapahoe Nissan dealership's L3 was offline. I had to drive to some shopping mall out west by a Home Depot or something, and pay lots of money ($10 I think!) to charge up to make it back to Colorado Springs.

On the way there you can go with traffic at 80mph+ but on the way back you are the traffic jam at 65mph. In the Prius I can get from the Springs to DIA in less than 55 minutes using I-25/I-225/I-70 because on I-25 in the left lane you go 85mph to 110mph. People are still surprised at a triple digit speed Prius... From the last hill in Denver where it goes from 75mph to 65mph to Monument Hill, the traffic flows fast. I burn a gallon of gas in the Prius and get preferred parking at DIA in the hybrid spots versus with the Leaf they are always blocked by asshats in Volts.

leafdecision said:
... It you tried to go 55 MPH even on the climbs, you would have a semi up your rear in no time. ...
At which point the semi would move over a lane and pass...but there's no need to go THAT slow. The speed limit or even 5 miles under should be fine.

davewill said:
leafdecision said:
... It you tried to go 55 MPH even on the climbs, you would have a semi up your rear in no time. ...
At which point the semi would move over a lane and pass...but there's no need to go THAT slow. The speed limit or even 5 miles under should be fine.

No they wouldn't.

This isn't California, this is Colorado. The trucks are in the right lane because they are mandated to be so. That's where the runaway truck ramps are, that's where the chain stations are. Trucks for most of I-70 are restricted to the "climbing lane". It is very normal for a road to grow a lane on an uphill specifically designed for trucks and trailers. A large load like that in a crawler gear needs to go a certain speed. If they drop in speed, it is nearly impossible to get going faster again. You will get a semi on your ass fast if you are in that crawler lane going slower than the semi flow.

The speed limit is 75mph. Going 75mph you are a rolling roadblock already. The normal flows of traffic are 80mph to 100mph+. This includes multi-thousand foot elevation changes.

User "leafdecision" is spot on when he described I25 and I70 traffic throughout the Colorado Front Range and Summit County. If you aren't familiar with it, nothing can prepare you for it. It is a very different experience to anything else.

2k1Toaster said:
... Trucks for most of I-70 are restricted to the "climbing lane". It is very normal for a road to grow a lane on an uphill specifically designed for trucks and trailers. A large load like that in a crawler gear needs to go a certain speed. If they drop in speed, it is nearly impossible to get going faster again. You will get a semi on your ass fast if you are in that crawler lane going slower than the semi flow. ...
If it's restricted to trucks and trailers a LEAF wouldn't be in it. :roll:

I'm always amused at how people ascribe such danger to staying within the speed limit. A "semi on my ass" is not a sign of impending doom, just an asshat driver trying to intimidate me. Doesn't work.

davewill said:
If it's restricted to trucks and trailers a LEAF wouldn't be in it. :roll:

Other way around. It is not a dedicated truck lane. You are free to drive in it but when you get a semi attached to your rear bumper, that's your own problem. Colorado is also a keep right unless passing state.

Most people go into the lanes to pass on the right. Left lane is blocked by someone *only* going 90mph or so, middle lane has people going 80mph so the right most lane gets swerved into and back.

Nubo said:
I'm always amused at how people ascribe such danger to staying within the speed limit. A "semi on my ass" is not a sign of impending doom, just an asshat driver trying to intimidate me. Doesn't work.

This is very different driving here. People go over the speedlimit when there are blizzards and black ice. If you are causing a roadblock, you will be rear ended eventually. I personally see at least one every season on those stretches of road. And usually in the winter people have to swerve around you they cut you back off with no room to spare.

I've driven all over the country and even world, these two sections of road are very unique.

I think the original post was right about the Leaf losing much of its charge from climbing hills. I could see driving only 20 miles and using 40% of charge if it is all uphill. No EV (or any battery operated device) is made to work hard for long periods of time. For example, try using a cordless drill to mix a gallon of paint, and your battery will die in no time flat... Driving in the city is no bargain also, as the starts and stops soak up the battery power. Constant highway driving is best. Also, as others have said, SPEED KILLS the battery, but the car can get great mileage if it stays at a slow, constant rate. I found that my car is best at 53 MPH (5-5.5 miles/KW) in the right lane, and I don't care what the cars behind me think. I once tried a few miles at 80 MPH, and the consumption went to only 2 miles/KW!

Reading through this thread makes me very glad I don't live in Colorado. It sounds like the roads are full of reckless, selfish maniacs!

If I drive the speed limit in upstate NY, I slightly hinder the flow of traffic. But people go around me and get over it.

So I made it to Castle Rock with capacity to spare, around 48%, but lost almost 10% just driving up the hills to my girlfriend's house.

Stopped by Walgreens before that, and that Walgreen's station had bad reviews so I decided to skip trying to do any charging there. Charged over night at my girlfriend's.

I took 105, both ways, missed the exit to get on the frontage road on the way there, but used it on the way back.

I feel much better about the whole thing (maybe even will do a Denver trip in the summer) but now, maybe with the colder temps creeping in, my normal charging and driving seems to be resulting in faster percentage drops. Now to get use to winter leaf driving in Colorado springs I guess.

powersurge said:
I think the original post was right about the Leaf losing much of its charge from climbing hills. I could see driving only 20 miles and using 40% of charge if it is all uphill.

The OP said he turned around at Monument, which is one of the big summits on that stretch of road. It is 7352ft above sea level, Colorado Springs is at 6035ft above sea level. Most people that live on the hills are living at 7000ft or so. Cheyenne Mountain is 9K ft and Pikes Peak is 14K feet to the summit. So to get to Monument for most people it involves going down 1000ft in elevation to the main city level then up 1300ft at highway speeds. Then you drop to 6600ft at Larkspur, 6200ft at Castle Rock. Then you go up and down some roller-coaster-esque road between there and South Denver and in the city you are down to "only" a mile above sea level.

MonumentHill.jpg

I use over 20% of the Leaf going from North Colorado Springs to over Monument Hill. The other 80% of the drive only consumes another 20% to 30% of the battery.

This is with no HVAC.

That's a big difference from my experience. Both times I used about 50% from north Colorado springs (woodman) to monument (2nd exit, not even monument hill), no hvac, and I'm a very conservative driver. Then only about 12% (even less I think) from there to south castle rock.

GetOffYourGas said:
Reading through this thread makes me very glad I don't live in Colorado. It sounds like the roads are full of reckless, selfish maniacs!

This particular section is ranked as the 2nd most dangerous highway in the state. "I-25: From Woodmen Road to the El-Paso/Douglas County line", #2 on the list. The other most dangerous sections (broken down by county) essentially make I-70 and I-25 the dangerous bits.

http://gazette.com/list-the-most-dangerous-highways-in-colorado/article/113264

It is a very congested road and it goes from 8 lanes (Denver) to 6 lanes (Castle Rock) to 4 lanes (out in the boonies), then back to 6 lanes (after Monument Hill in Colorado Springs). That section of 4 lanes (2 each way) is the trouble.

GetOffYourGas said:
If I drive the speed limit in upstate NY, I slightly hinder the flow of traffic. But people go around me and get over it.

And the speedlimit is not 75mph either...

2k1Toaster said:

The speed limit is not 75MPH here either. The interstates are mostly 65 MPH in the northeast, with some sections only 55 MPH. Not that anyone drives those speeds; 80 MPH is pretty common. But I can drive pretty much any section of interstate in NYS at 65 MPH safely.

GetOffYourGas said:
2k1Toaster said:

The speed limit is not 75MPH here either. The interstates are mostly 65 MPH in the northeast, with some sections only 55 MPH. Not that anyone drives those speeds; 80 MPH is pretty common. But I can drive pretty much any section of interstate in NYS at 65 MPH safely.

Yes, on I-95 in NY & CT people drive fast, but it doesn't have the much bigger distances and elevation changes that Colorado has.

Back