TurboCord compact dual-voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solangelist said:
How much does JESLA cost? Does it work with the Leaf?
$999: http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will work with the LEAF and in theory any other J1772 compatible car.

Solangelist said:
TonyWilliams said:
MikeD said:
Some people have a true need for a portable EVSE, such as perhaps as a backup EVSE, and for them the TurboCord may currently meet their needs the best. I would not be surprised if similar (and even "better") choices become available in the next few years.

I don't think you need to wait a few years for something better.

How much does JESLA cost? Does it work with the Leaf?

It works with any J1772 equipped car (Type 1 in Europe).

$999

Anybody: What features should the "ultimate" portable EVSE have? Which of these features should every portable EVSE have?

MikeD said:
Anybody: What features should the "ultimate" portable EVSE have? Which of these features should every portable EVSE have?

I guess "ultimate" would work on single or three phase, handle any amperage up to 80, be uber light weight, phone you when the power starts and stops, is strong enough to drive over, has a GPS tracking and alarm system for thieves, has full fire detection AND suppression, has automatic over amperage / voltage detection and active reset.

Of course, it can plug into "anything".

MikeD said:
Anybody: What features should the "ultimate" portable EVSE have? Which of these features should every portable EVSE havbutton have?
1) kW & kWh meter
2) ability to program the max kWh to provide (auto cutoff) at the touch of a button. I'm thinking something like the +30 second button on a microwave but +5kWh instead. Otherwise it allows the car to stop as per it's own settings. this would also reconnect at a programmable time to allow more charging if desired.
3) Wi-Fi connected with remote programming and utilization monitoring

Since we're talking about a "portable" EVSE, I think that timer and WiFi features don't really come into it. Nor do I see much need for over 40a operation, since 50a outlets are the biggest anyone is likely to find in public. Making it handle 80a will just make it heavier and less portable. Personally, the Jesla is pretty optimal. Add on a small display and a couple of buttons to allow one to dial down the amperage and read out the kWh and amps consumed and I'd think it was pretty perfect.

Of those features, I think the dialing down the amps is the one that all portable EVSEs should implement in some way. If you're using outlets of unknown quality, being able to dial it down could be crucial to getting a charge.

TonyWilliams said:
MikeD said:

I guess "ultimate" would work on single or three phase, handle any amperage up to 80, be uber light weight, phone you when the power starts and stops, is strong enough to drive over, has a GPS tracking and alarm system for thieves, has full fire detection AND suppression, has automatic over amperage / voltage detection and active reset.

Of course, it can plug into "anything".
Good one, Tony :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Received the JESLA this week and was able to try it out yesterday at Battle Ground State Park near Battle Ground, WA. Seems to work fine off the existing NEMA 14-50 outlets and should open up a lot of opportunities in Washington state parks if we can get a charging policy that makes sense for the park staff, RV users, and EV drivers.

Turnover said:
Received the JESLA this week and was able to try it out yesterday at Battle Ground State Park near Battle Ground, WA. Seems to work fine off the existing NEMA 14-50 outlets and should open up a lot of opportunities in Washington state parks if we can get a charging policy that makes sense for the park staff, RV users, and EV drivers.

Glad you like your JESLAtm !!! There aren't many LEAF owners so far (mostly Toyota Rav4 EV, BMW ActiveE and Tesla owners). It works fantastic with a LEAF, of course, and can still charge some of those "other cars" at a full 40 amps. Nobody should have to suffer with a 1.44kW cord in your trunk when up to 10kW is available with the appropriate car. The beauty of JESLAtm is that it can also charge at 1.44kW when appropriate (normal 15 amp 120 volt household receptacle).

You might want to contact the folks at WashDOT who are responsible for the West Coast Electric Highway to see if any project if underway with RV parks.

All this info on adapters for the turbo cord is greatly appreciated but you might want to think about spending $700.00 OTD then turning around and buying adapters that void your warranty. I don't know about you, but when I spend $700.00 I like the 3year warranty that comes with the cord. Look I think you're getting of point. You can spend $400.00 and have you're factory cord that comes with the car converted to something superior with all the needed adapters (3) buy evse upgrade. The point is it is misleading to sell a product as fast and portable that has a 220 plug that is uncommon. Take it from me the turbo cord is nicely made and if it works for you, it has a great 3year warranty. If you want a mobile cord with every type of adapter for half the price and limited warranty the evse upgrade is also a good way to go (I have both). Moral of the story is read the fine print when it comes to plug types, adapters and warranties.

The warranty states that you must "strictly adhere" to all instructions in order to be valid, and that extension cords and/or adapters are prohibited.

-Phil

Thank you Phil. Look I just bought my 2014 model S Leaf two weeks ago and we love it. I'm just the average dad/environmentalist/construction worker. I first bought a turbo cord thinking it would be more mobile, then I had my factory cord upgraded plus bought all the available adapters by evse upgrade (great company buy the way). Now I will keep the turbo cord for my home charger, and keep my upgraded factory cord in car for out and about. I live in Northern California were the closest quick charge is 200 miles away, but I have family with dryer plugs and rv parks everywhere so this is a big deal for me.

Back