Traction Battery Death

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan will be the only game in town when the 1st packs hit the dusty trail, too. And you know what happens to cost when THAT scenario plays out. That can be a nice little window of opportunity for someone with enough know-how in the field of high voltage DC setups. There are a few Prius pack after market guys around that re-do dead Prius packs. I started hearing about them popping up 2 years after the time the Gen II Prius came out. Of course, those were nickel. EV Bones was a company that reconditioned the Chevy S-10EV's dead packs. They went out of business due to limited customer base. It'd REALLY be stupid to not start thinking about the inevitable traction pack death scenario now - as opposed to 1-3 years from now. That just not being proactive. I for one like to know how things might play out, if possible. Then again, some folks don't stock a bit of extra food supplies, and simply hope the next giant fire / earth quake / tsunami / riot / fuel-food shortage will never happen. Oh well - to each his/her own.

camasleaf said:
hill said:
I've already figured out how to disconnect our grid tied system and spoof our PV inverters into thinking they're still grid tied. That way, during a power outage, we're good to go.

That is something I am very interested in, can you give us some insights? It is the only reason I did not install solar panels.

Electricity here is too cheap, clean, and ... reliable until now. But after I have seen 80 year old breakers still in service for 70MW generators at a hydro powerhouse, I realized it is just a matter of when is not going to be reliable any more. Plus, the end of the world is coming. With solar panels off the grid and the Leaf I will be the last in my neighborhood to die :lol: .

Don't forget the guns and keeping your cold dead hands as warm as possible for as long as it takes to procreate and repopulate the world ....

Oh no. You have traction battery death, that is too bad. I knew it was just a matter of time before this happened to someone. I hope you were prepared.

Please let us know how much it costs to replace the whole pack and if you find a way to re-use your mostly spent pack for home PV storage or something.

The industry defines 30% loss as dead, I think that is 3 bars. Your 80 mile BEV is down to 56 miles, and it is still a good idea to only charge to 80% thus 45 miles. I imagine Nissan will not do something disastrous by then.. such as a $5000 charge to replace the battery in a 2 year old car..

Hill, can you provide a little more detail on your gernerator setup, such as: What brand / model of generator do you have? Is it a portable or fixed standby generator? Were there any particular specifications for the sine wave grid quality that you identified as a minimum for your PV inverter to work? What brand / model PV inverter are you using? Thanks for the additonal info.

If we want to get serious about this, some people ARE approaching what would be considered the death of a battery (by commonly accepted industry definitions) at a loss of three capacity ticks...

Back