Tokyo gas stations test monthly flat-rate EV charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargedEVsMag

Four major Japanese oil companies have partnered to test a network of EV charging stations that will charge customers a flat monthly fee for unlimited juice... http://www.chargedevs.com/content/news-wire/post/tokyo-gas-stations-test-monthly-flat-rate-ev-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, oil companies! That's interesting! I sure didn't see *that* coming, although if I were calling the shots at an oil company, this would make sense as part of my corporate transformation plan to a (sustainable) energy company.

And while $38 month seems somewhat high, things are more expensive in Japan (the Leaf runs about ¥4M before incentives--$51,300 USD). Assuming these are L3's it may make EV accessible to apartment dwellers, who wouldn't otherwise be able to install a charging system.

Interesting--thanks for posting!

P.S. Is the iPad version of the magazine available yet? I just looked but didn't see anything one way or the other.

bradleygibson said:
Wow, oil companies! That's interesting! I sure didn't see *that* coming, although if I were calling the shots at an oil company, this would make sense as part of my corporate transformation plan to a (sustainable) energy company.

Yet oddly enough, Japan is transitioning their nuclear generated power to fossil fuel NG

Remember; unlike the US which does have oil, Japan does not so ALL their oil is a tap draining their economy. so getting off oil is a much higher priority for them. Unlike the US, there are few oil billionaires living there controlling the mindset of the country.

if its QC than $38 a month is a bargain and keep in mind. around here (i used to know a gas station owner, he passed away and his kids are not nearly as friendly) gas stations #1 source of income is not gas, its concessions. its that $1.59 slurpee (which costs the station about 15 cents to provide and most of that cost is the cup) that makes them money

so having a bunch of people sitting around for 20-30 minutes sounds like a golden opportunity to me

ChargedEVsMag said:
Four major Japanese oil companies have partnered to test a network of EV charging stations that will charge customers a flat monthly fee for unlimited juice... http://www.chargedevs.com/content/news-wire/post/tokyo-gas-stations-test-monthly-flat-rate-ev-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article says that monthly fees "start" at about 3000 yen ($38). I don't understand that in the context of unlimited charging.

[EDIT]
Maybe it's $38 on a station by station basis? So I couldn't pay the fee and drive all over the country for just $38. Not nearly as attractive.

I think pricing may start at $38 but unlimited charging would be higher. Their cost of living is generally higher than ours and $38 would be a bargain here

DaveinOlyWA said:
I think pricing may start at $38 but unlimited charging would be higher. Their cost of living is generally higher than ours and $38 would be a bargain here

On third thought, $38 per month might work as a business model. Sure, people might do a lot of driving right after they go onto the plan but would return to normal driving habits soon enough. If we reach a point where there are many millions of EV drivers on the plan then EV fuel companies would be taking in millions more than they would be paying out.

What a liberating subscription that would be!! Most of the time I would just charge at home so they would get my money without having to give me any juice but if I did have to travel across the country it wouldn't put me into the poorhouse.

Back