Today was oil change day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

I did the annual oil change on 5 cars today. What a mess! I never minded performing this chore in the past. But after each car, I would look over at the Leaf and shake my head.

Slowly over the next few years, I'll see those ICE cars being replaced by EVs. How exciting.

Now to turn in 7 gallons of used oil and tranny fluid to the recycling center. :mrgreen:

Reminds me of an old car I had which was leaking engine oil, makes me sad thinking how much oil must have leaked everywhere. I'd also wonder how many used motor oil didn't make their way to the recycling center.

And that happens to be one of the reasons why a hybrid car didn't entice me. The difference in EV and Hybrid is definitely more than just numbers in MPG.

Well, the oil did come from the ground in the first place :)

What grease are you using to repack the Leaf's bearings?.. bear tallow?

Herm said:
Well, the oil did come from the ground in the first place :)

What grease are you using to repack the Leaf's bearings?.. bear tallow?

No one is saying that a Leaf uses ZERO petroleum products....

Are you really comparing a 6 quart oil change a couple times a year to the grease used to pack bearings...what? 2-3 times over the life of the car?

:roll:

Lanzer said:
Reminds me of an old car I had which was leaking engine oil, makes me sad thinking how much oil must have leaked everywhere. I'd also wonder how many used motor oil didn't make their way to the recycling center.
And that happens to be one of the reasons why a hybrid car didn't entice me. The difference in EV and Hybrid is definitely more than just numbers in MPG.

+1! Even though I had $5 oil changes/filter for the life of my Honda GX ($100 at Fletcher's), that's the last ICE car I'm ever going to have.

a while back I heard that the equivalent of the exon valdez oil spill happens every year on our roads here in the US due to the oil leaking from ICE cars. I am happy to be adding less oil into the mix!
g

Back