Timer Trouble on 2015 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I calculated correctly, this should work for you. You can put the one schedule in and use it year round so you don't have to keep changing it.

This schedule can be used year round to avoid the off-peak times. If the EVSE is connected during a closed charge window (10am-9pm weekdays, 5pm-8pm weekends), it will delay charging until the next charge window opens. When the EVSE is connected, the lights come on and the charger communicates with it, even during a closed charge window. The lights go off after a few minutes, and charging begins when the next charge window opens. If the EVSE is connected anytime during an open charge window, charging will begin immediately and then stop when the window closes or the battery is charged (whichever comes first). A charging session can be started anytime during a closed charge window by pressing the timer override button or using the NissanEV app.

Sunday start at 8pm end at 10am
Mon - Thurs start at 9pm end at 10am
Fri start at 9pm end at 5pm
Sat start at 8pm end at 5pm

Try these settings:

Summer:
Timer 1: Start 2110 (9:10 pm); End 0950 (9:50 am)
Timer 2: Start 2110 (9:10 pm); End 1650 (4:50 pm)
Enable Timer 1 for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Enable Timer 2 for Friday and Saturday

Winter:
Timer 1: Start 2010 (8:10 pm); End 1650 (4:50 pm)
Timer 2: Start 2010 (8:10 pm); End 2010 (8:10 pm)
Enable Timer 1 for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Enable Timer 2 for Friday and Saturday

Explanation: I use 24-hour time to avoid confusion between am and pm. I set start times 10 minutes after the hour and end times 10 minutes before the hour in case the clock in the car is not synchronized with the clock in the revenue meter.

We need another timer to automatically allow charging between 8:10 pm and 9:10 pm on Saturday and Sunday without inadvertently charging on peak Friday (summer rate). If you need to charge between 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm on Saturday or Sunday, you will need to press the override button.

By setting the start time and end time of Timer 2 to the start time for Timer 1 (winter rate), the car will charge any time on Saturday and Sunday.

If the car is plugged in during on peak time, it will wait until off peak time to start charging. If the car is plugged in during off peak time, it will start charging immediately.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
We need another timer to automatically allow charging between 8:10 pm and 9:10 pm on Saturday and Sunday without inadvertently charging on peak Friday (summer rate). Gerry

Cool, thanks, programming that in now. Much better than Nissan EV support which said basically "RTFM".

I'm also noticing an advertisement for a reasonably priced smart timing adapter that might make this all easier:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/juiceplug-a-universal-smart-ev-charging-adapter

If every EV owner sets their cars to charge at the start of off-peak, it will in effect push the peak demand. My ideal charge description would define the peak period times, and a "I rarely drive time" (10pm-8am in my case), and then let the car, the grid and the ESEV figure out the optimal time. That and a "give me X miles of range right now regardless of schedule" button and I'd feel set.

Back