Time to recharge according to the dash

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatl

On my 2013 Leaf one of the displays is an indication of how long it will take to recharge. It gives time to recharge at 6kW, 3kW, and 120volt. What confuses me is that the time to recharge for 6kW and 3kW is almost the same. For example, it may say 3:30 at 6kW, and 4:00 at 3kW.

Shouldn't the 6kW recharge take about 1/2 as long as the 3kW recharge?

So it's a GOM for charging? Wierd.

Don't have that set up on my '12, just 240 and 120. It always estimates longer for 240 than it takes, supposedly because they use 200 in Japan, but that shouldn't make 6.0 and 3.3 so similar.

My rule of thumb is, 2 bars/hr at 3.3 (16%), or 4 bars/hr at 6.0 (33%).

That is what is so odd to me. Recharge time should be a fairly straightforward calculation, so why is 6kW only a little faster than 3kW.

I just ignore the times. I have a Clipper Creek LCS-25 that does 4.8kW which comes to about 20% of a 24kWh battery for every hour of charge. If I am at 20% and trying to go to 80% that is about 3 hours.

Still, why the discrepancy?

LeftieBiker said:
Just ignore that display. For L-1 especially (120 volts) it's way off.
I normally don't charge to full at 120 volts, but I'm not sure it's that off for 120.

There is an occasional bug w/the 120 volt value when set to charge to 80%. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It shows the wrong value on both displays and the Carwings apps.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Just ignore that display. For L-1 especially (120 volts) it's way off.
I normally don't charge to full at 120 volts, but I'm not sure it's that off for 120.

There is an occasional bug w/the 120 volt value when set to charge to 80%. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It shows the wrong value on both displays and the Carwings apps.

Oh, it's way off. I charge to 100% often, and use only L-1 at home. It's pessimistic by about four hours, making it difficult to get the charge to end right before I leave for work, instead of several hours early. And it isn't accurately allowing for equalization, either: the car is fully charged, and the charge lights off, hours before I leave. So I set the timer to have a beginning as well as an end time, and that works pretty well. Now that I see the explanation of it being programmed for Japanese 100 volt current, that even makes sense... in a Nissan kind of way.

my gauge has always been about 30 minutes off (it charges faster). It WILL change if you charged off a 208v versus a 240v - you will see longer times off the "240". As far as the difference off the 3.3 vs 6.0, its probably because of the upper portion of the battery. Charging slows down as the battery gets full. To quote Tesla - its like filling up a glass of water, you slow the water down as its almost full so you don't spill over. This is why you see only a small variation. As the battery gets lower the difference will be larger as the 6.0 kW charging can go full speed for longer.

I've only had my Leaf S for a week and have been using trickle charger at work over a 12h shift, so not sure how long it takes-always done when I am...

But last night I "topped up" from 60% to 100% (I know, I just switched it to the 80% max setting) and it took almost exactly as long as the dash said it would on the Chargepoint L2 EVSE with 6.6kw charger.

This is important to me as I only have the S and I'm only charging at work or in public lots (not at home). I need a decent way to estimate end time so I don't end up angering other EV drivers by staying in spots too long. I've been leaving a note with my phone and setting lock to AUTO, but a lot of times it's a parking space issue.

Does your S have Quick Charge package and/or Carwings? Carwings can send you a text when charging is complete. Also, if your public charger is ChargePoint, they can send you a text as well.

Back