Time to change tires?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UkrainianKozak

Hey guys,
I'm at crossroads...
After putting 26K on my leaf it's time to change tires...
In heavy rain I started to feel like I'm water skiing rather that driving on a highway.
I know that many of the forum folks are leaning towards Michelin, but I had a very good history with Goodyear and really like their Triple thread series, but I really don't like to lose some range either as my average commute is about 50 miles highway and with AC/heating I'm barely making it on 80% charge, so If I would have to go to 100% charge because of tires that would be really a bummer...

So I did quite a research on Goodyear triple tred vs FuelMax, and I really don't like the fact that Fuel max is noticeably inferior in wet driving, which is fairly important for me here in seattle area. On the other hand triple tred is in my experience and according to reviews has a very good traction in wet as well as other conditions. The only negatives I heard is about thread noise, but I don't care about it that much. What I don't get is that I can't find any comprehensive research on the real fuel efficiency. Goodyear claims 4%, some people claim they have over 8% increase in mileage, tests on Prius showed only marginal 1.5% increase.

So... Anyone over here have any idea where to get the real life info?
I don't care about 1.5% decrease in mileage if I switch to triple tred, but if it will be 8%, that would definitely force me to switch to 100% charging (or some form of manual control over 80%) along with the fact that triple thread will maybe the last tire for the car (with 80K tread life) and that it is the most expensive option...

So, the million dollar question for me (Ok, let's make it $1000 question) is will I get over 4% decrease in mileage or will it be more within 2% range when I replace my old Ecopias?
Or should I consider more about Michelins MXV4s? how do they stand against triple tred in wet conditions?

UkrainianKozak said:
Hey guys,
I'm at crossroads...
After putting 26K on my leaf it's time to change tires...
In heavy rain I started to feel like I'm water skiing rather that driving on a highway.
I know that many of the forum folks are leaning towards Michelin, but I had a very good history with Goodyear and really like their Triple thread series, but I really don't like to lose some range either as my average commute is about 50 miles highway and with AC/heating I'm barely making it on 80% charge, so If I would have to go to 100% charge because of tires that would be really a bummer...

So I did quite a research on Goodyear triple tred vs FuelMax, and I really don't like the fact that Fuel max is noticeably inferior in wet driving, which is fairly important for me here in seattle area. On the other hand triple tred is in my experience and according to reviews has a very good traction in wet as well as other conditions. The only negatives I heard is about thread noise, but I don't care about it that much. What I don't get is that I can't find any comprehensive research on the real fuel efficiency. Goodyear claims 4%, some people claim they have over 8% increase in mileage, tests on Prius showed only marginal 1.5% increase.

So... Anyone over here have any idea where to get the real life info?
I don't care about 1.5% decrease in mileage if I switch to triple tred, but if it will be 8%, that would definitely force me to switch to 100% charging (or some form of manual control over 80%) along with the fact that triple thread will maybe the last tire for the car (with 80K tread life) and that it is the most expensive option...

So, the million dollar question for me (Ok, let's make it $1000 question) is will I get over 4% decrease in mileage or will it be more within 2% range when I replace my old Ecopias?
Or should I consider more about Michelins MXV4s? how do they stand against triple tred in wet conditions?

I would not buy any goodyear tires for you LEAF. Look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4 unless you intend to sell it very soon.

I dumped the Ecopias for MVX4s at 17.5K miles.

Also, in case you didn't know, GM uses the Goodyear Fuel Max for the OEM tires on the Volt. Volt owners seem to like them overall. They have 60K tread wear rating. It looks like there was a batch released for the 2011 model year Volt that are bad and are causing bubbles at the rims.

Someone had commented a few months back that somewhere in Europe (EU, Germany, UK, I don't exactly recall), that there was going to be a mandatory rolling resistance rating, akin to the ratings we see now for traction and treadwear. I'm afraid I don't have any more info.

Tirerack.com has fairly detailed tests on many tires, including their results for mileage for some of the LRRs available, FWIW.

Volusiano said:

Also, in case you didn't know, GM uses the Goodyear Fuel Max for the OEM tires on the Volt. Volt owners seem to like them overall. They have 60K tread wear rating. It looks like there was a batch released for the 2011 model year Volt that are bad and are causing bubbles at the rims.
i think ecopia have 55k tread rating, which of course they will never, ever, ever, ever, ever get.

EVDRIVER said:
I would not buy any goodyear tires for you LEAF. Look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4 unless you intend to sell it very soon.

EVDriver ...why? I prefer Goodyear over any other tire manufacturer but I would be willing to buy any tire other than Firestone owned brands so I would like to know why you don't recommend Goodyear.

Thanks.

The Goodyear efficient grip, the toyo nanoenergy2 and pirelli p7 cinturato blue are all A rated for fuel efficiency.

Am planning on replacing mine with the toyo 205/60 as it has a larger diameter so I think reading various posts this should improve range as the leaf motor efficiency drops after 30mph and keeps getting worse as rpm increases. Most of my miles are done at 55mph so this might work better for me.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...egorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=Lable_1roll

35k miles on my leaf. Research for Firestone tires but not much info on message board. So wheel works had special buy 3 and 4th is free. Install out door for $456.00 for Firestone tires. Wow to my amaze the tires rolling is absolutely quiet! It's super quiet my jaw just drop. My wife was like wow super quiet. She didn't even notice the car was rolling at 60mph! Now notice at higher speed these new tires I lost 5-7 mph range. Maybe due to new tires need to wear it in. At low speed below 50mph I get my usual milage. So far I'm extremely happy with my Firestone. Super quiet wow!

Firestone Affinity Touring
Car & Minivan All-Season
• 70000 mileage warranty
• Car & Minivan All-Season
• Size:p205/55R16
• Load Index:89
• Speed Rating:T
• Sidewall: Black Letter/Black Wall

Check this listing from Tirerack and adjust the filters as needed:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=205/&ratio=55&diameter=16&autoMake=Nissan&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Leaf&autoModClar=SL&sortCode=44950&tireIndex=0&wtpackage=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My experience with Goodyear TripleTred tires was poor. Traction was good, but it took the tire shop seven tires to find four that were round, not egg shaped. The tires got very harsh riding by the time they were about half worn. Never again.

KLS said:
My experience with Goodyear TripleTred tires was poor. Traction was good, but it took the tire shop seven tires to find four that were round, not egg shaped. The tires got very harsh riding by the time they were about half worn. Never again.
That sounds like my experience with Goodyear Fuel Max tires on my Prius. Out of the box 2/4 were not round and later 1 started scalloping on the inside shoulder which is very noisy on the freeway. Hate throwing away otherwise useful tires, so have stuck with them for now.

I have had good experience with Michelins on Honda Odyssey and Fit EV, Nissan Murano, Dodge Caravan, and Ford C-Max Energi. Even compared to Goodyear, less weight to balance, longer tread life, smooth ride, and predictable handling in all weather conditions. C-Max and Fit EV have Michelin Energy Saver A/S Green X tires. Fit EV is within ~100 pounds of LEAF on a smaller tire, and with 14k miles still has ~70% tread, including REFUEL track time.

I went with the continental ECOpro sport, I think and over all a great tire. quiet and alot better on handling than the ectopia. I think the michelins are good but this is a lease car and I have only 1 yr left didnt feel the need for great tires when good tires are fine for this type of slow moving vehicle.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Volusiano said:

i think ecopia have 55k tread rating, which of course they will never, ever, ever, ever, ever get.

At 36k I still have a good amount of thread left. Getting 45k from Ecopias will be easy, 55k not so sure as it looks like my front wheels are a bit out of alignment and left side wears out a bit more on the outside.

I have a little over 10K on my Bridgestone Ecopia EF422's and they're completely DONE! The outside 4" of tread is gone on the fronts and I'm seriously worried when I drive the car now that I'm going to have a flat. I ran them with 40psi from day one and that really didn't help as far as I can see. I've never seen a tire wear out this fast and it's really disappointing considering I absolutely love the car. I'm not good about posting updates but I'll try and remember to post the results of the new set I'll be purchasing within the next week if not today. Just trying to track down which tires are going to be a good buy considering everything I'm reading here and in other places.

NoVAEV said:
I have a little over 10K on my Bridgestone Ecopia EF422's and they're completely DONE! The outside 4" of tread is gone on the fronts and I'm seriously worried when I drive the car now that I'm going to have a flat.
Can you post some pics of your tires? If the outside 4" are gone, that sounds like an alignment problem - toe-in combined with positive camber. How did the rears do and did you rotate the tires at all? Most people seeing excessive war on the EP422s are only seeing it on the outside tread block.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Volusiano said:

I am having good luck with my cheap ecopias, but I don't have a heavy leaf (yet). (I will probably get more than their rated life, unless a sidewall gives)

Something I recommend everyone here check.

How much does the leaf weigh (simple right)

How much weight does the leaf have on the front tires (a little harder but easy if you go to a sympathetic weight station and best to do it with whoever and whatever you carry in the car)

Now look at the ecopia weight rating for the tires on the car. (understand that rating is for the tire at sidewall max pressure, not whatever garbage nissan puts on the placard)

Then look at the recommended PSI nissan provides on their placard.

The next part is where it gets hard, but I think most here will follow.

If you have 44psi tires with (just for example) a 1000lb rating, what happens if you inflate to some other pressure, like 36psi?

Their weight rating goes down in almost a linear fashion. So your left with somewhere around 800lbs and some change.

The rule of thumb (as long as I can remember) is that you can only get the rated life of a tire if its loaded around 60% or less its weight rating (with pressure taken into account, so you lost nearly 20% of that rating at 36psi)

Like anything if you are running something at 100% of its max rating or worse yet beyond that; you are going to be VERY unhappy and the things will fail left and right.

So
1. Your max weight rating is dependant on tire pressure

2. You should never load a tire continously over 60% of its max rating. (though yes some modern designs handle up to 85% OK) You can find this out by talking to anyone that has to drive a semi, 100% is OK on occasion but you don't want to be there long or often unless you like replacing tires and having blowouts.

3. Have you done the math and checked your leafs weight?

My guess is Nissan (like ford) placed COMFORT over having reliable tires, you probably need to put more air than the placard on your car lists to actually not overload the tire and have it fail; and yes if you are anywhere close to 100%, especially on the front of the car they WILL fail.

The front usually has more weight and I almost guarantee is overloaded.
(given the rather pudgy weight of the leaf to begin with)

So your only choices to have reliable tires is
1. Put in whatever PSI is required to get your tires constant use load rating above the weight placed on them with you inside. (Which is probably between 60-80% of max load at that psi.)
2. Buy tires with a proper weight rating or that are designed to be run near 100% of their rating. Sadly its trial and error though if the weight of the leaf is too close to the rating of the stupid big rims type tires they put on there.

In my case I convert all my vehicles to 15" tires (unless they are smaller), my Dodge (I know completely different) rides better and has had fewer tire issues and better fuel economy after I converted its 16" smallish tires to taller 15" tires (same OD). The tires also cost under half as much, last longer and have a better weight rating.

My statements above are FACT and have been true for many years, if you have questions find Capriracer on ecomodder and you can discuss with him (a tire engineer) the science and reality behind these statements.

Even your local tire places can usually explain how the weight ratings on the side are for MAX PRESSURE ONLY and what happens if you run near the max load without the MAX PRESSURE.

So a very good reason to air up your tires.

Good Luck

NoVAEV said:
The outside 4" of tread is gone on the fronts and I'm seriously worried when I drive the car now that I'm going to have a flat. I ran them with 40psi from day one and that really didn't help as far as I can see. I've never seen a tire wear out this fast and it's really disappointing considering I absolutely love the car.

Sounds like terrible alignment, I have had cars do that and trust me, no tire will wear well in that circumstance, at least not until a professional 3rd party aligns the car spot on, it also will increase your range if you do. No scrub and no toe is best.

Running max pressure has reduced my shoulder wear. I expect to get 40k out of my oem Ecopia.
I would be tempted to run the baloney skins a bit longer but with no spare I don't want to push it all the way to the steel.

Back