Thoughts on cost of ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougfy

I want to thank everyone for all the good information that has shown up in the forum this year. From this information and a few other sources I'm trying to understand the cost and limits of getting a Leaf. Excuse the large size post but it’s a summary of many facts I have picked up.

Cost of Ownership
My view of the cost of ownership for a car consists of the cost for the car itself (capital), maintenance costs (repairs, tires, brakes), and fuel. I'm trying to express the cost for owning a leaf in a per mile way to compare them roughly with other cars we have owned to see if the leaf really makes sense for us.

Capital
Three recent cars we have owned were a Saturn ($17K/187Kmiles @ $.09/mile), Santa Fe ($17K/220Kmiles @ $.08/mile), and Prius ($29K/200Kmiles? @ $.15/mile). So the Leaf's cost could be either $25K with federal and state rebates or $30K for just federal rebates which includes CA state tax. Its life time mileage also could be either 100K then the battery might be up for replacement or 200K assuming one battery replacement. So it would be either $.26/mile or $.13/mile or $.31/mile or $.15/mile. Quite a range of choices.

Maintenance
I don’t have as good of records as to what my car's individual service amounted to. I think its about $.06/mile. My assumptions for the Leaf are that its Tire/Brake cost would be the same and that its other components should be less since it does not have the oil/filter change and less belts and moving parts. Hard to be sure. If it is going to do 200Kmiles then it has a battery replacement of maybe 9K? This would make up for the other parts plus a little so its at least $.07/mile. Its interesting to note that the cost of battery is essentially $.09/mile, and could almost be considered part of the fuel cost.

Fuel
The fuel costs for the cars require that the price of fuel be chosen which is really a moving target. If we choose $3.20/gal then Saturn 29mpg is $.11, Santa Fe 24mpg is $.13 and Prius 45mpg is $.07. The Leaf depends on the cost of the electricity which is also a multiple choice question. We have solar and at the moment our net metering may yield us a zero cost of electricity without adding the car. We have not gone a whole year so we don't know for sure. If we stay on that plan (and forgo the "free" charger we get being in San Diego on the roll out program) then the cost to charge the car is based on SDGE's lower tiers. If we switch to the EV-TOU-2 metering for the whole house, I'm not sure how the solar plays into the plan. The car charges at $.15kWh for EV-TOU-2 average at night and it uses .25kWh/mile which works out to $.04/mile. For the tiered approach you have to choose the average number of miles per month. For me that would be 1000/month estimated. So that's 250kWh which stays at the lowest tier and should be $.13/kWh close to the EV-TOU-2.

Cost of Ownership Summary
So the Saturn works out to be $.27/mile, Santa Fe $.28, and Prius $.27. The Leaf ends up being $.19/mile with federal/state rebates for 200K/miles. It rises to $.22/mile without the state rebate. Should gas prices rise, the other cars rise by about $.05/mile while the Leaf stays flat (at least until SDG&E raises rates).

Range
The range of the Leaf is another limiting factor especially since there are no current fast charger stations. My commute is 28 miles and my wife has a 42 mile commute. If the maximum distance is 100 miles I can commute to work and have a free range of 22 miles for shopping, lunch, and other errands. My wife would have 8 remaining (kinda close). That seemed simple at the outset. I'm unsure if that includes use of climate control (CC)? Next you have to factor in how far it drives at the end of battery which is 80%. Assuming 100 miles, in 8-10 years I have 12 ranging miles, still adequate. My wife can't get to work. Maybe there will be a fast charger downtown by then? Now the harder news. Another poster (Jimmydreams) at the Leaf forum indicates that his new Leaf only charges to 88 miles, not 100 and seems to be getting a real world mileage of 83 miles with freeway speeds. That means for me a new leaf has a free range of less than 16 (OK) and an old range of less than 7 (not good). My wife basically can't use the car.

Conclusions
My wife probably can't use the vehicle as a back up.
If our employers could supply even 110 charging during the day at 6 miles/hour, much of the range issues would vanish.
Fast chargers would also make a huge difference.
The car charger might actually need to have a "done at" rather than a "start at" time to easily take advantage of TOU charging.

Questions:
1) Does anyone know where I can find out how the Solar and the EV-TOU-2 would work out?
2) How can the Leaf have essentially a 12% variance in distance between two cars?
3) Does anyone know if there is going to be even one fast charger in San Diego in the next few years?

Wow, great post and welcome to the forum. I have never calculated the cost of ownership of my cars is this detail. It definitely gives me a lot to think about now. I really hope that the government extends the rebates for EVs, otherwise getting the LEAF may not be as economical. There's always the Prius. :)

dougfy said:
3) Does anyone know if there is going to be even one fast charger in San Diego in the next few years?

"The EV Project will deploy a total of more than 15,000 chargers distributed in the following quantites: 8,300 Level 2 chargers installed in owner’s homes; 6,350 Level 2 chargers installed in commercial and public locations; and 310 Level 3 DC fast-chargers."

That was from their FAQ before they added LA and DC (along with more money), so presumably those numbers span the 5 original rollout markets, one of which is San Diego. This May is a target for some level of that infrastructure to be deployed. So there's either going to be plenty of charging infrastructure in San Diego including about 50 L3 units (some of which will surely be downtown), well before you need it, or the whole thing is going to fall flat on its face and the DOE will have wasted $115 million dollars. Having had one for 3 weeks now, I know the car is viable, so at this stage I believe the former is more likely. As an aside, from your description, I don't think you necessarily need L3 at the terminus of your wife's commute - L2 puts 12 miles into the car per hour.

If you are curious about the details of the plans for infrastructure in San Diego, contact Ecotality - they are much further along in the site selection process than may be indicated by the EV Project website.

What a thoughtful post, but for my wife and me, the cost of owning a Leaf can't be compared to an ICE vehicle. For us, the range works for both of our commute and any premium we may pay will be off-set by the thoughts we may be contributing to changing the mime of oil dependency. It's not about the cost of ownership, but the cost of not owing an electric vehicle. This is a little preachy for me, but I'm running low on caffeine. And have you seen the Tesla S? Talk about naked lust, up to 300 mile range! :mrgreen:

dougfy said:
Cost of Ownership
My view of the cost of ownership for a car consists of the cost for the car itself (capital), maintenance costs (repairs, tires, brakes), and fuel. I'm trying to express the cost for owning a leaf in a per mile way to compare them roughly with other cars we have owned to see if the leaf really makes sense for us.

Capital
Three recent cars we have owned were a Saturn ($17K/187Kmiles @ $.09/mile), Santa Fe ($17K/220Kmiles @ $.08/mile), and Prius ($29K/200Kmiles? @ $.15/mile). So the Leaf's cost could be either $25K with federal and state rebates or $30K for just federal rebates which includes CA state tax. Its life time mileage also could be either 100K then the battery might be up for replacement or 200K assuming one battery replacement. So it would be either $.26/mile or $.13/mile or $.31/mile or $.15/mile. Quite a range of choices.

Are you assuming that the resale/scrap value of each of these cars is zero after reaching the target odometer readings? Except for the battery replacement that you pointed out ($9k after 100k miles is consistent with what I've read), I have no idea what the expected life of a Leaf might be (two battery 'cycles'?).
Did you assume 100k or 200k (with a battery replacement) miles as the life of a Leaf?

My wife and I are both in agreement that it's worth something to not be using gas hence the choice to go solar on the house. Still I have to be sure I can afford my choices and not be blind. I can both use and afford the Leaf it seems. We just would like my wife to have a reasonable chance also. She drive an hour each way already so there is a limit to the recharge time she can afford. I'm planning on the 200k replace the battery at least once plan. Not sure beyond that where things might lead. Also I'm sure there is some value at the end of life but I'm not sure I could begin to estimate that.

A couple of thoughts for the maintenance column...

Brakes will last a very long time. Some EVers have traveled more than 100,000 miles and haven't changed front or rear pads.

The only lubricant in the car is the automatic transmission fluid used in the gearbox - and that's considered a lifetime fill. The gearbox will be opened periodically to check the fluid level, but should not need to be replaced or topped up unless something happens to damage a seal or otherwise causes a leak.

The only maintenance you'll have is brake fluid changes every couple of years, 5 years or 100,000 miles on the antifreeze in the two coolant loops (engine/inverter/charger and cabin heater), and wipers, wiper fluid, and tires. Hoses eventually, but with very low heat and low pressure, they'll last much longer than an ICE car's hoses.

Andy

dougfy said:
2) How can the Leaf have essentially a 12% variance in distance between two cars?
You need to do a bit more reading on the range - and understand it.

Range depends on a lot of things - speed, terrain, temperature, driving style etc. Your 28 mile commute (assuming one way) is doable with miles to spare. In 5-8 years when the battery capacity goes down - you may have to be more conservative in your driving style. Wife's 84 miles (round trip) is not always possible unless she can charge at work place. I'd not risk it.

Remember EPA rates Leaf 73 miles. That is probably what you get in highway driving with climate control on, though they claim it to be a combined.

You're not going to save money buying new tech and the Leaf is new tech. The operating cost of the Leaf will be very low -- lower than anything else you'll find -- but add to your capital cost the expense of replacing the battery and it's just not going to pencil out as a "best buy". A vehicle purchase is never strictly a rational process and buying a Leaf is not an exception.

If you like the tech, think like most people that you'll like an electric drive, and really want an EV for your wife but are worried about the range, get a Leaf for yourself and a Volt for her. If that's too expensive just stick with the Prius. You can also wait. My guess is that the Gen II Leaf will have a better battery and it may give you more range. (The Tesla Model S supposedly will have enough range but, assuming it appears, it's going to be very expensive).

On the 12% variance, that's not variance in driving caused by style but variance in battery charge as reported by the estimate of miles available. Unless that's somehow influence by driving style? In any case wouldn't new cars come with essentially the same state? Yet one fellow reports 98-103 on full cahrge and another sees 88-91.

dougfy said:
On the 12% variance, that's not variance in driving caused by style but variance in battery charge as reported by the estimate of miles available. Unless that's somehow influence by driving style? In any case wouldn't new cars come with essentially the same state? Yet one fellow reports 98-103 on full cahrge and another sees 88-91.
Yes, the range that the car displays depends on the way the car has beeen driven till then.

In the "reference docs" sticky - you will see link to user manual. Check the description on "range" in the manual.

there is a lot of excellent reasons for buying a Leaf

its a good idea; its green technology 100% emission free

its a smart idea; it can cost as little as 3 cents a mile (i thought 2 to 2½ cents, but charger efficiency may not be as i expected on 110)

now those are great reasons but i did it for another reason that i will coin as the "4FA"; future financial freedom for America.

now i may not be the generation who got us addicted to oil, but i sure as hell dont want to face my 3½ YO Son as the generation who could have done something about it and didnt.

crunch the numbers anyway you, buying a $34,000 car will not save you money, PERIOD and if that is all you want to do, look elsewhere because you wont save any money here.

DaveinOlyWA said:
there is a lot of excellent reasons for buying a Leaf

its a good idea; its green technology 100% emission free

its a smart idea; it can cost as little as 3 cents a mile (i thought 2 to 2½ cents, but charger efficiency may not be as i expected on 110)

now those are great reasons but i did it for another reason that i will coin as the "4FA"; future financial freedom for America.

now i may not be the generation who got us addicted to oil, but i sure as hell dont want to face my 3½ YO Son as the generation who could have done something about it and didnt.
Amen. In my case it's my 8 year old son. I hope he never has to own an ICE car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
crunch the numbers anyway you, buying a $34,000 car will not save you money, PERIOD and if that is all you want to do, look elsewhere because you wont save any money here.
Two words: Deductible Miles :D
What Types of Vehicle Mileage Are Tax Deductible?

Miles Driven for Business @$0.50 per
Medical Travel Mileage @$0.165 per
Moving Travel Mileage @$0.165 per
Servicing for Charitable Organization Mileage @$0.14 per

dougfy said:
Cost of Ownership Summary
So the Saturn works out to be $.27/mile, Santa Fe $.28, and Prius $.27. The Leaf ends up being $.19/mile with federal/state rebates for 200K/miles. It rises to $.22/mile without the state rebate. Should gas prices rise, the other cars rise by about $.05/mile while the Leaf stays flat (at least until SDG&E raises rates).

I like these thoughtful holistic-cost posts.

I'd like to share an example from the less frugal range of car costs..
I bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe, new, enjoyed driving it, and then sold it (private party) in 2007 with 16,500 miles on it.
I spent a total of $2,488 on premium gasoline for the G35.. about 15 cents a mile.
$1,858 on insurance, $638 on maintenance, $824 on CA registration
And $14,800 on 'depreciation' (paid vs sold), or $.90 a mile!

All told, my total costs for having owned and driven this car were $20,600, or $1.25 a mile. So, 72% of the cost of ownership was simple depreciation. 12% was gasoline. As much as I could go on about the poor gas mileage of a V6 around town, it wasn't really a big deal overall.

I know full well what I was getting into, unlike some folks who rationalize upgrading from a Gen X Prius to Gen X+1 Prius "because it has better gas mileage".

For me, cars are only a "partly rational" expense. There's an emotion, lifestyle, and image component that only the most austere can deny. This is why I think the market for a "luxury EV" is significant, like the Model S or future Infiniti EV.

dougfy said:

Hills will kill your range. The 'available miles' in the morning is based on recent driving....the last 5 minutes? The last 5 miles? The last 5 drives? No one knows....but depending on the driving conditions PLUS the drivers lead-footedness, I can see where that available number will fluctuate.

It IS, however, only a guestimate. Ask anyone here with a Leaf and I'm sure they will tell you about numerous drives where the miles remaining says 30, they drive 35 miles, and it still shows 15 miles remaining. THAT'S why we need a SOC indicator.

LEAFfan said:
Bud said:
And have you seen the Tesla S? Talk about naked lust, up to 300 mile range! :mrgreen:

Yeah, but at what cost?...$60K? The BYD e6 will get over 200 mpe for only $35K!

Who does one compare an ugly 80's looking BYD bland car to a Tesla Model S. What, the BYD has a great personality?

LEAFfan said:
Bud said:
And have you seen the Tesla S? Talk about naked lust, up to 300 mile range! :mrgreen:

Yeah, but at what cost?...$60K? The BYD e6 will get over 200 mpe for only $35K!
Well, the 160 mile S is 50K (post credit). They have not said anything about the 300 mile one - I expect it to be around 70K.

BTW, BYD e6 is vaporware until proven otherwise - since they have not even produced a mule that has been driven by any journalist.

AndyH said:
A couple of thoughts for the maintenance column...

Brakes will last a very long time. Some EVers have traveled more than 100,000 miles and haven't changed front or rear pads.

The only lubricant in the car is the automatic transmission fluid used in the gearbox - and that's considered a lifetime fill. The gearbox will be opened periodically to check the fluid level, but should not need to be replaced or topped up unless something happens to damage a seal or otherwise causes a leak.

The only maintenance you'll have is brake fluid changes every couple of years, 5 years or 100,000 miles on the antifreeze in the two coolant loops (engine/inverter/charger and cabin heater), and wipers, wiper fluid, and tires. Hoses eventually, but with very low heat and low pressure, they'll last much longer than an ICE car's hoses.

Andy

Based on this - I can't understand why Nissan even tries to sell a Maintenance agreement at the dealer (other than a source of additional money for the dealer). I've been looking through the service agreement stuff that I got at the dealer (to think about) and I don't see what I get for the money. Only thing missing here is that there is a yearly battery check that needs to be done. I can't see that this would require dropping the pack though. It should just be a diagnostic check with a computer.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
... (other than a source of additional money for the dealer). I've been looking through the service agreement stuff that I got at the dealer (to think about) and I don't see what I get for the money.
;)
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Only thing missing here is that there is a yearly battery check that needs to be done. I can't see that this would require dropping the pack though. It should just be a diagnostic check with a computer.
Right - connect a scan tool and print a report - and it's covered by warranty...

Back