Those precious batteries are scarce!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timaz

http://m.taintedgreen.com/government-policies/will-china-export-reductions-wither-nissan-leaf-on-the-vine/000884/mm-17

This is interesting! Is this why Nissan is slow on their roll-out of vehicles?

I remember hearing that China had moved aggressively to corner the rare earth materials market back in 08. This could prove to be a VERY big problem!

Or more specifically as it would effect Nissan, see link below...

http://www.autospies.com/news/China-Resumes-Export-Of-Rare-Earth-Minerals-Used-In-EV-And-Hybrid-Production-58848/

And bad for everyone here...

http://www.dailytech.com/Chinas+Rare+Earth+Cuts+Threaten+Electronics+Power+and+Auto+Industries/article20522.htm

Timaz said:
http://m.taintedgreen.com/government-policies/will-china-export-reductions-wither-nissan-leaf-on-the-vine/000884/mm-17
This is interesting! Is this why Nissan is slow on their roll-out of vehicles?
No, this was discussed in a previous thread and as I remember, the Leaf does not have much rare earth mineral content. Besides, the Chinese have not cut exports yet, they are just threatening to cut down, which they have been doing for 5 years already. For it to be impacting today's production, an embargo would have had to have taken place many months ago, and the only recent interruption to Japan was one month long, from Sept. to Oct. I think there are other reasons for the current delays in deliveries unrelated to availability of rare earths.

TT

ttweed said:
Besides, the Chinese have not cut exports yet, they are just threatening to do it. For it to be impacting today's production, an embargo would have had to have taken place months ago. I think there are other reasons for the current delays in deliveries unrelated to availability of rare earths.

TT

Please look over the two links I just posted above regarding the Chinese "embargo" in Oct and have now done for the first half of 2011. Very interesting in regards to when things happened and when Nissan made "adjustments" to the LEAF roll out.

TRONZ said:
Please look over the two links I just posted above regarding the Chinese "embargo" in Oct and have now done for the first half of 2011. Very interesting in regards to when things happened and when Nissan made "adjustments" to the LEAF roll out.
I read the articles, and made edits to my post to clarify--there was no significant interruption in shipments to Japan that could have impacted Leaf production, IMHO. The interruption in shipments was not official policy, according to the Chinese, and lasted from 9/21/10 to 10/28/10. The lack of shipments to the US and Europe lasted only 10 days. Regardless of the fact that the Leaf does not depend on these materials, that doesn't amount to much of a shortage. They are just trying to leverage their monopoly and increase prices. As they do, competitors will fill the void.

TT

ttweed said:
IMHO. The interruption in shipments was not official policy, according to the Chinese

TT

Yes, and the interruption in LEAF shipments is not official policy, according to Nissan... so I guess it's all good then.

With all due respect, I am not sure where you are getting your information regarding what China has been up to as it effects EV's and auto materials content...

http://www.dailytech.com/Chinas+Rare+Earth+Cuts+Threaten+Electronics+Power+and+Auto+Industries/article20522.htm

China's aggressive positioning on Rare Earths is pretty common knowledge.

The Leaf's battery doesn't use ANY metallic lithium - it uses a lithium salt. This is different than the lithium polymer (lithium cobalt) cells used in cell phones, laptops, and Teslas - those DO use lithium metal.

There's plenty of lithium carbonate to go around - including here in the US.

Watch your laptop, maybe, but this is not a problem for the Leaf.

AndyH said:
The Leaf's battery doesn't use ANY metallic lithium - it uses a lithium salt. This is different than the lithium polymer (lithium cobalt) cells used in cell phones, laptops, and Teslas - those DO use lithium metal.

There's plenty of lithium carbonate to go around - including here in the US.

Watch your laptop, maybe, but this is not a problem for the Leaf.

The global concern is not just batteries (for some) it is also motor components, magnets and electronic component materials in EV's and Hybrids. If rare earths did not effect EV's directly then the Chinese would not be trying to extort technology from EV industry leaders. They would not have a hand to play.

The key mineral involved is neodymium which is used in the Prius electric motor magnets. Not sure if Nissan uses rare earth miners in their motors-- but the issue is absolutely nothing to do with lithium. Here is the list of "Rare Earth" minerals:
21 Sc Scandium
39 Y Yttrium
57 La Lanthanum
58 Ce Cerium
59 Pr Praseodymium
60 Nd Neodymium
61 Pm Promethium
62 Sm Samarium
63 Eu Europium
64 Gd Gadolinium
65 Tb Terbium
66 Dy Dysprosium
67 Ho Holmium
68 Er Erbium
69 Tm Thulium
70 Yb Ytterbium
71 Lu Lutetium

Timaz said:
I believe their batteries have lithium manganese oxide which IS a rare earth element. Just saying!
Lithium carbonate, carbon, copper and aluminum metal. Manganese is a very common element and again - in the oxide form - we're talking about the "rust" from manganese, not the metal itself. ;)

The cells use manganese specifically because it's so common and so inexpensive compared with iron, cobalt, or other elements. See bottom chart: http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/mnliion.html

mnliion4.jpg

TRONZ said:
With all due respect, I am not sure where you are getting your information regarding what China has been up to as it effects EV's and auto materials content...
China's aggressive positioning on Rare Earths is pretty common knowledge.
With all due respect, I don't think you are reading my posts accurately. I never denied that China has been aggressive in their policy regarding rare earth markets. In fact I said "they are just trying to leverage their monopoly" and they have been "threatening to cut down...for 5 years already." There has already been a stiff outcry against their plan to cut exports by 35% in 2011, though, and there is a good chance they will soften that position before long because of international pressure, I think. They are acting no differently than the OPEC cartel in this respect, by manipulating a market over which they have a stranglehold. Pretty darn capitalistic for a bunch of commies, dontcha think? Squeeze the spigot shut and the price goes up.

What I am arguing is that there is no correlation between the supply of rare earths in Japan and the delay in the Leaf rollout. I am not sure where you are getting your information about this, which was the issue of the original post. Do you have some knowledge of a component for the car which was delayed due to a rare earth shortage and has held up production? I think this is speculation, and that is the only point I was trying to make. I can think of many other more likely reasons for the delays, most of which have already been bandied about on this forum, from software/hardware problems to organizational complexities to currency exchange rates.

My point is that the supply chain from raw material to finished product is longer than a few months, and the effects of a 5-week embargo on imports to Japan in Oct. is not the reason that your Leaf has been delayed. I also seriously doubt that there wasn't enough of a stockpile of raw materials on hand in the country to span such a short interruption. Perhaps such a shortage could drive prices up in the short term on the local commodities market, and Japan is the birthplace of JIT (Just In Time) deliveries in the manufacturing segment, but I don't think that a rare earth shortage made the Leaf production line grind to a halt, slowing US deliveries. If anyone has some evidence of this, I would like to see/hear it.
TRONZ said:
Yes, and the interruption in LEAF shipments is not official policy, according to Nissan... so I guess it's all good then.
In reality, Nissan has delivered on everything they promised regarding the Leaf delivery timeline for 2010, which was sparse to begin with and equally vague. Who are we to even say that they are "late" with the roll-out just because we are impatient to get our cars? The only real evidence that things are not going as quickly as they planned was the shutting down of reservations and the change in the expected delivery time after ordering from 3-4 months to 4-7 months. There are plenty of reasons for such delays in the roll-out of a new and unique product without blaming it on the Chinese domination of the rare earth market. That impact will be felt late next year, if at all, and would likely take the form of a price increase in the next round of Leaf reservations/orders due to cost increases from the market manipulation, not a cessation of manufacturing. Like OPEC, the Chinese are not going to cut their own throats. They need us as much as we need them.

TT

LakeLeaf said:
Interesting reads on various rare earth stuff
The best quote: "Despite their name, rare earth elements are not actually all that rare...the British Geological Survey put their natural abundance on the same level as copper or lead." China has simply dominated the mining for them and driven the competition out of business with low prices. As they drive the price back up by hoarding them for their own use, it will result in other sources becoming viable again, and the void will be filled. Another interesting article:
Rare earth mining on the seafloor.

garygid said:
At Mountain Pass, CA ...
which is located about 15 miles from the Nevada border on I-15
on the way from LA to Los Vegas.
...is that important in some way? Point was that price of rare earth minerals is high enough to spur domestic production, which backs up what ttweed said. You make it sound like the location of the mine is problematic for some reason.

=Smidge=

Neither the LEAF or Volt use the truly rare "rare earth materials".. both use induction motors.. but the Mitsubishi iMiev does use a permanent magnet motor which does. Their batteries do not use it either.

Some of these metals are used to make electronic components, such as used in radios, but that will affect all cars.

Batteries will be recycled for their aluminum and copper, but not for the lithium.. that stuff is too abundant and cheap to worry about it.

In your mind, which word indicated any problem?
Perhaps my unusual use of "the", or "on"? :lol:

Smidge204 said:
garygid said:
At Mountain Pass, CA ...
which is located about 15 miles from the Nevada border on I-15
on the way from LA to Los Vegas.
...is that important in some way? Point was that price of rare earth minerals is high enough to spur domestic production, which backs up what ttweed said. You make it sound like the location of the mine is problematic for some reason.

=Smidge=

Back