The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LEAF( VIN # 320) arrived at my dealership (North Bay Nissan, Petaluma) on Wednesday (16 Feb.) and I picked it up and did the final paperwork yesterday (Feb 17, Thursday). One of my similarly retired friends drove me the 80 miles to Petaluma and then followed me most of the way back towards Sacramento (to make sure I would not run out of juice). I did stop at the Vacaville, Davis Exit, EV charging area for a 25 minute QC as I would NOT, absolutely NOT, have made it back home without that extra oomph.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with the general fit and finish of the car. Since our use will be two adults and random passengers (we have no youngsters anywhere in the extended family even), the light interior will not or should not be a problem for us. It was great to have the proximity locking/unlocking (that is missing on our Volt) and the rear window wiper (that is also missing on our Volt). The bluetooth phone connectivity and the setup for the homelink was most simple, and I am still working on getting our radio preferences set. I am getting used to mostly driving in ECO and that seems to project 10% or so better range. I charged the car fully last night on the Couloumb 220v chargepoint that came FREE with our Volt and put the Volt on the 110v charge cord that came with it for "emergency" use.

The dealer paperwork process was super smooth, and I can't say enough good things about North Bay Nissan in that regard. Thanks Ron and Victor !

Now, on the NEGATIVE: I cannot believe it, but the GPS software is at LEAST 4 years out of date. We have lived in this house for 3.3 years and there are people up the street from us who have lived in this neighborhood for 2 years before us. Our WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD does not exist on the GPS map. Ouch ! I wonder what other changes in freeways, etc. are not UPDATED???? I called LEAF "customer service" this morning to report this software deficiency and to further question them as to WHEN the updates for the location of public chargepoints will happen...

Also somewhat negative, leaving the dealer for the drive home, I forgot and left the heater/climate control fully on. It was a most ugly, rainy and cold day (at least for Northern California's Central Valley area). By the time I realized I was totally comfortable in the car and about 15 miles away from the dealership, I was down to only 65 miles or so range left. So the climate control/heater really saps range, REALLY saps range. (This is another GOOD reason for not selling the car in those colder areas of the country until more development on interior climate engineering occurs?)

GeorgeParrott said:
... I did stop at the Vacaville, Davis Exit, EV charging area for a 25 minute QC as I would NOT, absolutely NOT, have made it back home without that extra oomph.
THAT HAS GOT TO BE A FIRST ! (For a "normal" LEAF owner ... thought I would be the one ... but have not gotten "around" to "it".) And ... deserves it's own thread. Although, now I am wondering, was the Portland QC used by "normal" LEAF and reported here ? In any case ... we should have a separate thread for QC station use.

Congratulations ... and yes, also looking forward to comparison reports.

Ardee said:
I'm curious what the reaction is here - especially among those who already have their cars - to this article saying that only about 100 Leafs have been delivered to customers in the US. :shock:
Though somewhat OT for this thread, the number is correct. We have a high % of owners in this forum.

Ardee said:
I'm curious what the reaction is here - especially among those who already have their cars - to this article saying that only about 100 Leafs have been delivered to customers in the US. :shock:
It kinda makes me feel special... :lol:

GeorgeParrott said:
Anyway, I am quite pleased with the general fit and finish of the car.
Glad you got your car and are happy with it so far. Can you tell us more about your QC experience? You are one of the few to have used a QC...

It's pretty clear that strategically placed QCs will be critical for EV adoption as you are now very well aware, I'm sure.

Using the QC...

The only challenge is figuring out how to get the connection which is 2-3X more bulky than the normal EVSE handle OFF the mounting point. YIKES! I am still not sure what I did to get it to release and then the same problem/challenge to get it to release from the QC port on my LEAF when I had decided I had enough to get home easily. I stopped the charge process about 5-10 minutes before it would have probably switched off itself, as it was just too cold, windy and wet to hang around under the drippy solar panels. There is what seems to be a double set of levers that must be manipulated to get the handle to release. :?

The Vacaville Chargepoint for QC is on the WEST end of about 6-7 different charging stations and all are mounted under a large array of solar panels. On a nicer day, and if I was hungry or thirsty, there is a SONIC DRIVE-IN just 100 ft of that QC station, so it would easy to kill the 30 minutes or so getting "topped up."

To repeat my earlier "LEAF critique" ..The navigation software for my area of Sacramento is simply 4-5 YEARS outdated ! My street has existed and people have lived on sections of it for more than 5 years, and our whole neighborhood doesn't exist according to the LEAF software.
:cry:

garygid said:
I believe that the map is not OLD, but PRUNED to fit in about 8 GB of space. See my "LEAF-Nav" and "Prius-Nav" post in your Regional thread.

My TomTom North America is current and less then 2GB and Western and Central Europe 2.5GB - neither are missing many roads. Not sure why the Leaf's maps would need to be > 4x the size of TomTom's.

The detail for this section of Sacramento on the LEAF's GPS is similar to what was on both our 2006 and 2007 Toyota's. Every newer GPS, both handheld and vehicular for 2010-2011 has this area in detail as well as several changes in freeway onramps, etc.

I am now quite worried about what else is missing on the LEAF's GPS detail and I have already made my concerns known to the LEAF customer service phone advisors.

I would ENCOURAGE all of you with your LEAF cars to fully check out more recent roads and housing developments in your area to try to get a fix on just how widespread this problem might be.

Back on topic.

I suggest we continue the maps problems in a different thread - it will get more visibility.

One observation about "others" and the LEAF:

I carefully watched our LEAF today as I parked it in several places around Sacramento during our day's errands. Only once did anybody actually notice the car as something special. We have the Glacier Pearl exterior, but the overall design is rather anonymous in today's world of generic hatchbacks, at least it seems so from my "experiment" in reactions" today.

In contrast to the "Q-ship" nonresponse to the LEAF, I have only been parked once or twice in the last month with our Volt (Crystal Red Metallic over 1600 cumulative miles so far) that I have NOT noticed somebody responding to the car. Outside of my wife's university research building last week, one of the people passing by the Volt, stopped, stared for a minute and then got out his cell phone and took pictures !

I guess, in some ways, the LEAF is good to be subtle, but I do wish it had more visual distinction. Then again I am still holding a deposit on an Aptera, so maybe my preferences visually are bizarre?

I really like the back seating in the LEAF, particularly as contrasted to the Volt. The "theatre seating" format is much more spacious and open feeling. The proximity locking/unlocking is so thoughtful (as we were used to it from our previous Prius and Camry Hybrid) and the Volt totally lacks this obviously helpful feature.

Well, don't think Mr Filipe is an MNL forum user, but let me leave here a link for you, guys, meet the first European Leaf customer:

http://www.nissandb.com/newsletter_page/4396/13/1140

Best regards

Ratz evnow, I was worried the snow would arrive before I picked it up but alas it started just as I pulled onto my street.

Hope you get yours soon, atleast you know it's ready waiting for you.

Back