The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the car?

When it came off the lot, it was in a low state of charge, not enough to get back from Oakland, really. This is good, right? Even in our cool climate. So they charged it, with whatever other final prep, while we did the paperwork. Which was quick. But at that point the Guessometer said 50+ miles, about twice what I needed to have.

Start with the thing that Nissan hasn't got right: After driving home, I understand why you folks call it the Guessometer. All over the map, but mostly going down fast. Made it, on Low Battery Warning. Not driving strenuously, impossible to drive much of the way fast, no climate control needed. Of course I have this problem under Guessometer, not under Range, which I haven't explored yet.

Otherwise, what an engineering delight this thing is! Also, no slouch at User Design. Instant reaction on getting it onto the street: The throttle and brakes work exactly as expected, an unusual feat among hybrids and all. Steering is fine too, for all that it's so power-assisted. OK, I made a little of the standard mistake, in which the slow traffic picks up speed, I want to make up the gap, I goose the throttle just a little, and pick speed faster than I wanted to. No problem, just learning the reality of 100% torque at 0 speed.

I've seen various comparisons of handling of Leaf vs Volt, and the Volt seems the consensus winner. Consensus may well be right. My own reaction to the sheer feel of driving the cars, though, was that I didn't like the Volt even before I got it out of the lot -- a heavy, clumsy, sort of imprecise feel that shouted "Detroit!" to me, loud and clear.

Sorry this is so, and I love Clint Eastwood's Super Bowl commercial even though I don't like flag-waving all that much, and don't like Eastwood at all; but there you are. It's the way Detroit wants its cars to feel, and I don't.

The Leaf felt like a Japanese car that wasn't aping the Americans, and it felt right. Matter of taste, and I hope Detroit rakes in money. Meanwhile, the Leaf still feels right. Also, the interior feels positively spacious, at least in the front seats.

The whole thing is waaay far from giving the feeling that you're giving anything up for all this Green stuff -- except for the matter of range, and having to deal with gas stations. And of course some money, but we even get some of that back.

Hello, I'm a new Leaf owner, and here is my short story.

I have always been interested in hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles; in fact, we own a Ford Fusion Hybrid already, which we are very happy with. I only got serious about EV's in about the past week, when two things happened: My wife wants to carpool with me less (too constraining on time), and Nissan lowered the lease prices again. I ran some numbers and basically the Leaf is more or less a wash compared to our second vehicle (a Nissan Titan, definitely a gas guzzler if there ever was one). This week's gas price spike in California sealed the deal for me.

My dealership experience was okay, nothing special. I had already done my homework anyway and all I really needed from Nissan was to make sure my EVSE was in the back, and show me how to pull away from the curb. It took three and a half hours from start to finish. The car is a silver SL. I was going for the SV but they didn't have any on the lot; the deal I got is fine though so I just went ahead and rolled with it. So I'm paying about $270 a month for 39 months, and $3000 due at signing. They left me with 33 miles of range and I drove 15 miles home and had 8 miles left. Some of the drive was uphill; that hill really pounded the remaining range.

I'm not a hypermiler, but I do enjoy getting good mileage out of my hybrid. I'm much better at it than my wife. My employer is going to put a car charger in now that there would be someone putting it to use. Hopefully it will be free to use but if not that's okay too; at least we'll have one for me and anyone else who needs it.

So that's my story. I look forward to 39 months of pleasant EV driving, and I fully expect to lease another EV at the end of this term.

sparky said:
WarwickBen said:
Picked up my new Black SL yesterday, after reading on this blog for a month or two. ....
Wow.
Considering this forum is more and more like a LEAF battery death-watch and wailing wall, I'm impressed you went ahead and got a LEAF after spending a couple of months here. What about the LEAF sold you? Why not a Volt or a Prius?
I'm sure Nissan would like to know.

Nice color BTW. Same here. Welcome!

I choose a Leaf for a variety of reasons. First, I believe that Nissan has made a significant commitment to EVs, as opposed to Ford and Chevy, who seem to have an EV in their lineup just to increase their fleet average MPG. I'd love a Tesla, but I don't want to spend 100k on a car, no matter how great it is. I also want to show folks that, unless you have a long commute, the average daily driving range of the typical driver is much less than one might think - meaning that there are many potential EV drivers out there. And I got sick of paying for gas and getting 15 MPG with my Volvo SUV (I still own if in case I want to go on a road trip).

I also think a Leaf is perfect for young drivers. of which I have two. They can't go too fast, and can't go too far. And you can't beat the 5-star safety rating! And finally, the tax credit are amazing.

Hello - It was a no-brainer for me to lease the Leaf last night.
I traded in my gas guzzling SUV for a $165/mo 24month lease. $2,995 down and another $1k for tax/title/registration all covered by my trade in. I jumped at this opportunity about 2hrs after reading about the deal. I'll save roughly $30-$50/mo paying these lease payments instead of paying for gas! Driving the Cayenne Red SL, love the heated steering wheel!

A little background on myself.
I've been working almost 5yrs now for Tesla Motors in Marketing... When I started at Tesla, there were no EV options on the market, we hadn't even delivered a single Tesla Roadster yet. One of our goals at Tesla was to show just how awesome EVs can be and hopefully inspire the automakers to give this a serious shot. I feel we've been successful in doing just that. Hopefully we'll see more impressive EVs entering the market from other automakers, b/c you definitely will from Tesla, that's for sure. :)
I've driven hundreds of miles in the Roadster and the Model S... looking forward to logging some serious commuting miles in my Leaf!

We just leased our Ocean Blue Leaf last weekend. We had seen an ad a few weeks ago for Tacoma Nissan for a 24 month lease for $99 down and $99/month (MSRP $36,220 - $4,031 dealer discount - $9,425 Nissan Lease Rebate). It was their loss leader; only one at that price. I mentioned it to my wife and said if she ever saw that ad again, we should go get it. Well, the ad ran again last Saturday and we got down there right away.

So far we love it. My drive to work is approximately 26 miles round trip. Our savings in gas for just my commute will pay the lease. We've spent every night the past week learning more about the car and being an EV family.

We just installed a GE Wattstation that we bought from Amazon. It has a really loud hum when it's charging, but hopefully it will get quieter over time.

We're looking forward to the next 2 years of driving our Leaf. We named her Dory. :D

dkeith said:
We just leased our Ocean Blue Leaf last weekend. We had seen an ad a few weeks ago for Tacoma Nissan for a 24 month lease for $99 down and $99/month (MSRP $36,220 - $4,031 dealer discount - $9,425 Nissan Lease Rebate). It was their loss leader; only one at that price. I mentioned it to my wife and said if she ever saw that ad again, we should go get it. Well, the ad ran again last Saturday and we got down there right away.

So far we love it. My drive to work is approximately 26 miles round trip. Our savings in gas for just my commute will pay the lease. We've spent every night the past week learning more about the car and being an EV family.

We just installed a GE Wattstation that we bought from Amazon. It has a really loud hum when it's charging, but hopefully it will get quieter over time.

We're looking forward to the next 2 years of driving our Leaf. We named her Dory. :D
Congratulations on the new car! Since you mentioned the GE Wattstation, I wondered if you knew about this issue.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/ge-wattstation-vindicated-nissan-accepts-blame-leaf-charging-problems-49171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the hell..? Just $99 per month with practically no money down? I am paying 4 times as much. This is insane !!

Congratulations on your new Leaf.

Gillinghammer said:
I've been working almost 5yrs now for Tesla Motors in Marketing... When I started at Tesla, there were no EV options on the market, we hadn't even delivered a single Tesla Roadster yet.
Welcome! Hope they don't give you too much grief at work for driving another company's EV.

Caracalover said:
Congratulations on the new car! Since you mentioned the GE Wattstation, I wondered if you knew about this issue.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/ge-wattstation-vindicated-nissan-accepts-blame-leaf-charging-problems-49171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, we're aware of the issue. Do you know if Nissan has released the necessary software release?

dkeith said:

Update - We've used our Wattstation for 5 days now and it is noticeably more quiet than the first couple days.

cwerdna said:
Gillinghammer said:
I've been working almost 5yrs now for Tesla Motors in Marketing... When I started at Tesla, there were no EV options on the market, we hadn't even delivered a single Tesla Roadster yet.
Welcome! Hope they don't give you too much grief at work for driving another company's EV.

One of his colleagues drives the BMW ActiveE. Elon Musk saw it in the parking lot, and came over to check it out (he still has a job there :)

PorlockJunior said:
I've seen various comparisons of handling of Leaf vs Volt, and the Volt seems the consensus winner. Consensus may well be right. My own reaction to the sheer feel of driving the cars, though, was that I didn't like the Volt even before I got it out of the lot -- a heavy, clumsy, sort of imprecise feel that shouted "Detroit!" to me, loud and clear.

I test drove both, still don't own either own. But the Leaf handles significantly better as far as I'm concerned, and I took it to 90mph during my test drive. I didn't take the Volt to that speed.
I really think the Leaf handles better. I think it comes down to all that battery weight underneath. The brakes seem a lot better also.

TonyWilliams said:
One of his colleagues drives the BMW ActiveE. Elon Musk saw it in the parking lot, and came over to check it out (he still has a job there :)
I believe that would be Jack. He has achieved somewhat of a celebrity status in the ActiveE program now. I'm probably still the leader in overall downtime, as dubious as that achievement might be. Been getting some serious competition lately: Jack's ActiveE is presently out of commission due to a spline failure.

I picked up my Leaf two weeks ago - we were interested when they came out, but the pricing and timing just weren't right. We saw some lease deals flying around so thought we'd give it a try...ended up leasing for 39 months, 15k miles per year at $246 per month with $1350 down.

I have some "range anxiety", but I think it will be ok. We are in Texas, and my husband drives an ICE car for longer trips, and we are aware of the impact the hot summers may have.

Honestly, my biggest complaint at the moment is that the seat belt in the back keeps slipping down. I didn't have my daughter with me when I drove the car, so I didn't realize what a pain it was going to be. I saw some threads about fixing it, but those seem pretty complicated for me. Seat covers are probably in my future, too, as a 4 year old seems to be awfully tough on the light colored upholstery.

Larsia

My 5 year old had a tough time for several days, and even I had my frustrating moments with that backseat seat belt. After a week or two now she has learnt and has no trouble. Still very annoying.

dsc000122kk.jpg

Wind power -> Electricity -> Kinetic energy

Are we far from the future? I love to think what will the world be like in 20 Years when our kids grown up.

ocean said:
dsc000122kk.jpg

Are we far from the future? I love to think what will the world be like in 20 Years when our kids grown up.

if we can keep the incentives going long enough for Wind to be successful, the future looks Golden

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/10/incentives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkjayakumar said:
What are those "things" in that picture ? Some kind of state of the art wind mills ? - thanks
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/technology&id=8545854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ocean said:
dsc000122kk.jpg

I heard a certain politician try to score political points by making a joke about windmills not being able to power cars. I don't think he comes from the most forward thinking party.

Back