The Nissan Leaf is the best car I've ever owned

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
dandrewk said:
My Leaf is great, but it is only the second best car I've owned. Number one is:

1967 Firebird.

My first car. Nothing ever, EVER will be able to match it!

That's a pretty nice first car. I had the sister car, a 1968 Camaro Super Sport, 396, 4 speed. It wasn't first, though. Had a 1970 Chevelle for an extremely short time before that, 454 (LS-5), automatic. Also, 1970 1/2 Camaro, 350, 4 speed (converted from automatic). First car was 1964 Chevy Impala, 4 door, 283, three on the tree, plus overdrive; $40.
First car, 1965 Impala SS 2-Dr hardtop, 283, 3 on the tree/OD, no power anything or A/C, 'bought' from my dad for $1 (he'd bought it new). Dad's attitude was if it isn't on the car, it can't break. And he always referred to having "poor man's A/C" - open the windows and footwell vents, and go like hell. Worked fine in Oakland, not so good on I-5.

Finally sold out of the family ( I 'sold' it back to dad when I got my '69 Datsun 2000 in 1978) after 23 years and 240,000 miles, without ever having the head off. It burned a quart of oil every 400 miles by that time, but was still dead reliable.

Most fun to drive, the Datsun hands down, and along with the Impala the one I have the most sentimental feelings for.

Best utility and all-around? Tie between my '88 and '03 Subies.

Best? No such thing, each was better suited for some things than the others, and they all met my needs at different times.

dandrewk said:

1967 Firebird.

By contrast, the first car I purchased was a '73 Honda Civic (~$2200 new, IIRC). Any car today would be able to blow it away in every respect, save for price. Didn't even have a (much needed) fifth gear.

DaveinOlyWA said:
My first was 66 impala automatic with the 283. $75

Wow... my first: '69 Impala here. Amazingly also $75 (from my Uncle) What a tank it was! Good memories though :cool:

'66 Chevelle Malibu with the 283. $1500. Still have it. It's going to be a great photo-op when sitting next to the LEAF in the garage come December. :lol: May take a lot to make me not love that car... or at least until I fill the gas tank up for the first time. It would pretty much pass everything on the road, except the gas stations.

I want to quadruple ditto that this is the best car that I have ever owned.

Never (and I mean NEVER) have I owned a car that has been this trouble free, with no trips to the dealer in 17 months of ownership for warranty work, so economical, and such a pleasure to drive. I must also say, that I do not drive my LEAF with kid gloves, and it holds its own quite well.

Now granted there are a few owners out there that have not had the same experience as I have had, and like in a neonatal unit, those few are making the most noise. But if you temper their minority experience with the overwhelming satisfaction that the vast majority of LEAF owners have had with their cars, the LEAF continues to be the reference standard for 21st century EVs.

One final thought, remember this is a version 1.0 EV.
Just think how great it will be at version 3.0 and later. The analogy is remember how cool the iPhone 1.0 was? Now compare that to today's iPhone 4S (or on Sept 12th the next iPhone!)

In the technology world there will always be something newer, faster, cheaper, more featured, and cooler in the future. That is just how it works.

It may be hard to put what I'm thinking down in writing, but let me try.

I love my LEAF. Also, I think that it's likely that there will never be a crappier EV, and that excites me even more. I'm thinking back to my first cell phone and how much I liked it, and then comparing it to what I have 14 years later. Are they even comparable? That's what I'd like to think EVs will do.

OrientExpress said:
Now granted there are a few owners out there that have not had the same experience as I have had, and like in a neonatal unit, those few are making the most noise.

bunch of crybabies! :)

In reality Nissan was playing with fire by marketing a car to AGW doom and gloom inclined people.. expect lots of whining.

dgpcolorado said:
dandrewk said:

1967 Firebird.

By contrast, the first car I purchased was a '73 Honda Civic (~$2200 new, IIRC). Any car today would be able to blow it away in every respect, save for price. Didn't even have a (much needed) fifth gear.
Hey, those early Civics could be a lot of fun on a twisty road, especially to someone whose normal ride was an Impala. :( Drove a yellow hatchback through Yosemite to Tuolumne Meadows one night, and had a ball. Too bad the owner was sitting in the pax. seat telling me to slow down, or I would have had even more fun :lol:

OrientExpress said:
Just think how great it will be at version 3.0 and later.

That is indeed exciting.

I like to think that by the time a baby today reaches driving age, they will want to drive a gasoline car about as much as a teenager today would want to be seen carrying around your old Sony Discman. :lol:

Nubo said:
I like to think that by the time a baby today reaches driving age, they will want to drive a gasoline car about as much as a teenager today would want to be seen carrying around your old Sony Discman. :lol:

... and the world will be a much cleaner and safer place as a result of the EV conversion.

I have had my Leaf for 9 months and I love it. It completely fills my current needs.

I am down very slightly from 281 to 279 but I expected some battery degradation, It comes with the battery chemistry.

At the end of my 3 year lease I expect a loss of 10 to 20%. At that time it will be Nissan's problem.

On the subject of first cars, My first car was a 69 BMW 2002 that I paid $3571 for. Try buying any BMW for that money now!
It carried me from Ft Ord to my parents house in Whittier every other week without fail.

:D . 12 months 22,000 miles. I ran about 20 miles with my cruise set on 87 mph this morning with a couple of shots into the 90 mph range to hold my place in traffic before settling in for the slower 70 mph section of my commute. I was thinking about my battery temp at 6 bars and all that noise was drowned out by the little thought.... New Battery Factory.... Wait... Make that THREE Battery Factories. If Nissan is just blowing it off waiting for the shift, I'm guessing that a replacement pack will be the equivalent of a tranny in an ICE and off we go. I'm ready to trade up to the infinity now... I LOVE this car. I haven't had my Mini out from under its cover in a month.. or two. I could use more range. I charge twice a day to 80% and my Mini is NOT for sale.....

Ditto that, only had mine for 2 months and 3000 miles (8700 miles total) but love it. No appreciable degradation yet but years from now i do believe we'll have plenty of battery options. I also believe nissan will step up to the plate and take care of the range loss issues.
My first car was also an old karmann ghia i bought in 1976. I still remember hanging my head out the window like a dog to see as those cars didnt have a fan to blow the air onto the windshield. I vaguely remember 2 little levers with balls on top that were supposed to engage the defroster. Nearly had about a million accidents but was still a cool car. We've sure come a long way.

Leon said:
:D . 12 months 22,000 miles. I ran about 20 miles with my cruise set on 87 mph this morning with a couple of shots into the 90 mph range to hold my place in traffic before settling in for the slower 70 mph section of my commute. I was thinking about my battery temp at 6 bars and all that noise was drowned out by the little thought.... New Battery Factory.... Wait... Make that THREE Battery Factories. If Nissan is just blowing it off waiting for the shift, I'm guessing that a replacement pack will be the equivalent of a tranny in an ICE and off we go. I'm ready to trade up to the infinity now... I LOVE this car. I haven't had my Mini out from under its cover in a month.. or two. I could use more range. I charge twice a day to 80% and my Mini is NOT for sale.....

Cruise set @ 87mph to keep up with traffic?? Where were you driving....@ the Indy 500? Over the past 50yrs or so, I've lived in (and driven extensively on freeways) in Chicago, LAX, MKE, PHX, SAN, etc. I've NEVER had to drive 87+mph to keep up with traffic. The police just LOVE to write $500 speeding tickets to guys driving 87mph. :roll: :roll:

OrientExpress said:
I want to quadruple ditto that this is the best car that I have ever owned.

Never (and I mean NEVER) have I owned a car that has been this trouble free, with no trips to the dealer in 17 months of ownership for warranty work, so economical, and such a pleasure to drive. I must also say, that I do not drive my LEAF with kid gloves, and it holds its own quite well.

Now granted there are a few owners out there that have not had the same experience as I have had, and like in a neonatal unit, those few are making the most noise. But if you temper their minority experience with the overwhelming satisfaction that the vast majority of LEAF owners have had with their cars, the LEAF continues to be the reference standard for 21st century EVs.

Just think how great it will be at version 3.0 and later. The analogy is remember how cool the iPhone 1.0 was? Now compare that to today's iPhone 4S (or on Sept 12th the next iPhone!)

In the technology world there will always be something newer, faster, cheaper, more featured, and cooler in the future. That is just how it works.

+ 1

This is the first car that I have ever bought brand new. Love the car. It was the right choice for my needs and, I believe, is a great first step in the evolution of EVs, and reduction of gasoline use!

Have driven 11,000 my first year (from June 2011 to June 2012). Love that I can simply plug in at home (no long lines to wait in at gas stations) or plug in at my local Whole Foods store on my way home.

Driving other gas cars at work now "feels" so archaic and jerky after driving so smoothly (and powerfully if needed) in the Leaf!

Enjoying my Leaf. Glad to have invested in the future. Look forward to future generations of EVs!

P.s. saved about $1500 in gasoline cost my first year compared to driving my 2001 Camry. More money to spend on the local economy instead of sending about 30% or $600 overseas for foreign oil. Electricity used basically all made locally. :)

Ditto what the OP said. 12 months and 11K miles and it is the best car I have ever bought. I will never go back to a pure ICE vehicle. This morning at my annual battery check up I found myself talking to a couple that was looking at a showroom LEAF telling them how much I love it. I started thinking that this dealership should pay me for promoting the car so much.

Last week saw a renewal in my love of my Leaf. (Well love of all but the battery loss.) My Leaf is my only car so I am very used to it now. One day last week my gf drove me someone and I was practically hanging on for life. She has a two year old nice toyota but every time the transmission shifted I felt lurched forward and backward. Man am I spoiled!

Back