The LEAF Wave

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rake

Jeep Wranglers do it.
Corvettes and motorcycles too.
So I was wondering...
Should we make it official, and start "the LEAF wave"?
Since seeing a LEAF in the wild is still akin to spotting Bigfoot, it might be fun!

Rake said:
Jeep Wranglers do it.
Corvettes and motorcycles too.
So I was wondering...
Should we make it official, and start "the LEAF wave"?
Since seeing a LEAF in the wild is still akin to spotting Bigfoot, it might be fun!

I believe there's a mini-cooper wave too...

but yeah, a Leaf wave would be awesome. though with there being so few on the road right now, I plan to be less exclusive and wave to *any* EV to show support for the concept as opposed to merely brand-loyalty. hopefully, in 5-10yrs i'll have to give up the practice due to having to wave constantly!

Just to clarify, are you meaning a friendly wave when you see another Leaf driver, or a one-figured wave when you're passing an SUV? :lol:

blorg said:
Just to clarify, are you meaning a friendly wave when you see another Leaf driver, or a one-figured wave when you're passing an SUV? :lol:
The first for sure! Maybe both ... depends ;)

Back in 2002 we initial Mini owners would just do a high beam flash rather than a physical wave. Assuming the lights come on when one hits the control, that would be easier and possibly a safer way to demonstrate recognition and support. Also, it can be difficult depending on the light to determine who is an a car and whether or not they are waving back. What do you think?

This reminds me of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm
Season 4, Episode 8: "Wandering Bear"

Larry: I waved to a guy in a Prius and he didn't wave back.
Jeff: I don't wave to people in the same car as me.
Larry: We're Prius drivers; we're a special breed.

dont know who it was and did not get a look at the driver either, but on the way home last night from work, a black Leaf was in the other lane and i missed it. they beeped at me and i barely got a glimpse of them. but now we have at least 3 Leafs in Oly. 2 i know about, the other i dont. if you are here sign up at the FB Olympia Nissan Leaf Owners site!!

I wonder about the light flashing thing, people here in seattle were freaked out :shock: about that alledged gang initiation uban legend that passed thru here a few years ago. Still it's not a bad idea IMO.

As for giving a little honk ... In the state of Washington, for instance, the law reads: "The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway." The penalty for undue honking is a $124 ticket. Has anyone I know been busted for honking? :roll: Nope.

So ... how 'bout that wave? :lol:

Rake said:
I wonder about the light flashing thing, people here in seattle were freaked out :shock: about that alledged gang initiation uban legend that passed thru here a few years ago. Still it's not a bad idea IMO.

As for giving a little honk ... In the state of Washington, for instance, the law reads: "The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway." The penalty for undue honking is a $124 ticket. Has anyone I know been busted for honking? :roll: Nope.

So ... how 'bout that wave? :lol:

Most drivers here in the Seattle area are idiots. I have a standard driving practice of analyzing the cars around me, determining what is the stupidest thing they could do, and I expect them to do it. It's amazing how often I'm right.

Granted, I think anyone can say a similar thing about where they live, but for me I'm terrified of the drivers here. I mean, come on, you get 1 inch of snow and you decide to abandon your car IN THE MIDDLE LANE OF THE FREEWAY? Come on, people.

Anyway, sorry for the side-track, but what brought this on is the fact that I think the horn is an important safety feature to be able to communicate with people. Let them know where you are, what you're trying to do, etc. In the Seattle area if you use your horn at all (even a friendly beep) you get horrible looks from everyone like you're the biggest a-hole on the road.

Which is why I installed extremely loud air-horns in my Murano.... I think I need to do that with the Leaf as well! :lol:

blorg said:
Which is why I installed extremely loud air-horns in my Murano.... I think I need to do that with the Leaf as well! :lol:

lol - I literally saw my first Leaf driving on the road a week or so back stopped at a light (n/b 15 exit to the North County Faire entrance in case it was one of you San Diegan's - a black Mossy one) and honked as I was turning. Suffice to say, it was my first time using the horn and I was wondering if it was working.

Despite the fact that my new PIAA horns just arrived for installation, I vote for a nod, smile, or simple thumbs up if you wanna go crazy...

+1 for (against) Seattle drivers!

I'm constantly amazed by some of the idiotic things I witness. It's like once the vehicle goes into gear, the brain goes out of gear. :roll:
A friend of mine had an interesting theory recently. He thought that one reason for so much road sillyness was the vast numbers of drivers who are recent transplants to the area.
Take a relative of his for example: 50 years old, and fresh from a world location that they never needed to own or drive a car. So, at 50 years young, they are a brand new driver. Compound this with the fact that they were taught to drive by, you guessed it, another transplanted driver of questionable skill.
Seattle is lagging badly in mass transit modes, compared to many other world locations (Bangkok comes to mind), and people are often forced to buy or borrow a vehicle.
Add that to drivers that are driving in auto-pilot mode, are just plain rude, have entitlement issues, yelling at the kids, taking depression meds, yakking on that cell phone ...

Maybe Nissan will offer an all-electric bumper car?

*Wave!*

Now Nissan is looking for input: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150391008382796&set=pu.141137487795&type=1&theater

Being a Jeep owner, I would have to say you guys cannot wave at each other. Feel free to nod, throw the 2 or 1 finger salute, shocker sign, or whatever else you want to do, but the wave is ours. It's proven. We have many threads on it.
sdmf.gif

Back