The CANary project

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That part is actually a Schottky diode with a max drop of 0.37V, but at the low currents we care about the drop will be more like 0.1V. If it works on the application board then it should work for us.

TickTock said:
Picking up a few more CANary owners. Kudos to robot256 for reading all 62 pages :) but I figured it probably isn't reasonable to expect everyone to do so. So I started a user guide page on the wiki. Pretty crude right now but will embellish along and along.

http://mbed.org/users/TickTock/code/CANary/wiki/guide

TT, very cool page! That will help people decide if they want to buold one, too. I know I want to even more now.

robot256 said:
That part is actually a Schottky diode with a max drop of 0.37V, but at the low currents we care about the drop will be more like 0.1V. If it works on the application board then it should work for us.
Ok. If it is really only 0.1-0.3 then it might be OK as long as the host supply is nominal or higher. I am concerned because we have seen many thumbdrives that have difficulty keeping up with the datarate even with a full 5V supply so giving them a degraded supply isn't going to help. On the application board (you do mean the mbed NXP LPC1768, right?), they don't use them this way. They are connected between the 5V and the 3.3V linear regulators where the drop doesn't matter - the slave still gets full 5V. You are using them differently in a way that will degrade the slave supply. Or are you talking about a different application board?

Attachments

• pwrsch.jpg
    pwrsch.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 54
I mean this board, which has a socket for the same mbed module we are using: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
Do the 15k pull-down resistors have anything to do
with using the USB port in Host or Device mode?
The tutorial on using a USB flash drive has in big red letters to close the switches to connect the 15k pulldowns. I assume this means they are important.

robot256 said:
garygid said:
Do the 15k pull-down resistors have anything to do
with using the USB port in Host or Device mode?
The tutorial on using a USB flash drive has in big red letters to close the switches to connect the 15k pulldowns. I assume this means they are important.
Yeah, the NXP1768 user manual also indicates they are required. The mbed provides the 33Ohm resistors and the pullup to allow use as a device but not the 15K's required for use as host. It also provides a load switch (FPF2123 - similar to the LM3526-L except enable is inverted) but has the enable hard-tied to VBUS so power is automatically provided to the VU pin when the mbed is connected to a PC. USB_PPWR (p1.19 - pin 33) is left unconnected on the mbed.
From the NXP1768 User Manual:
usbhost.jpg
usbdev.jpg
From the mbed schematic:
usbmbed.jpg

Looks like I should be able to retro-fit the 15K's on the rev5 board (bottom layer/blue is unobstructed). Screen shot doesn't show the GND fill (I always add that last, just before generating the gerber files). I will just have to scratch an opening in the passivation to solder the bottom terminal to GND.

Attachments

• canaryr5_15k.jpg
    canaryr5_15k.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 44
I just published a new revision (163). A few minor tweaks but the main change was to incorporate Climate Control power into the DTE computations. Any power used by climate control is taken out for all stored/historic data (max and min trip efficiency, long term DTE averages, etc). The current climate control power, is then added back in when the various efficiency readouts are displayed. I also added a DTE without climate control number just below the 10-minute average. This allows you to see at a glance what your remaining range or efficiency would be if you turn off CC.

I just published a new rev (rev 166). Minor updates - just fixed some display formatting and flicker boundary conditions. I also changed the Climate Control impact to show as +xx miles and +y.y mpkWh similar to how the Leaf reports it.newmain.jpgnewdte.jpg

I worked quite a bit over the holidays and am on vacation this week but I hope to start working on my not-a-kit I got next week. Also will be doing more CAN logging of the car can bus. I want the coolant and heater loop temperatures, and to see what it takes to invoke remote car wings commands. :)

JeremyW said:
I want the coolant and heater loop temperatures, and to see what it takes to invoke remote car wings commands. :)
That would be awesome! The last thing on my original To-Do list is to figure out how to invoke and stop charging so I can start a 50% charge when I get home and let it finish in the morning.

TickTock said:
JeremyW said:
I want the coolant and heater loop temperatures, and to see what it takes to invoke remote car wings commands. :)
That would be awesome! The last thing on my original To-Do list is to figure out how to invoke and stop charging so I can start a 50% charge when I get home and let it finish in the morning.
I second that!!!

I just published a revision (173) on the CANary site. Three additions:
1) Added a useable Wh/gid display on the healthScreen (in parentheses next to the gid count) after at least 5 gids have been consumed on a given trip.
2) Changed the brake monitor graph to have real units (kW). Previously this graph was just qualitative and proportional to force (motor regen amps or brake pressure). Now it has been calibrated to actually display the kW being regenerated (green portion) and/or wasted on friction (red portion).
3) Added "Available Regen" graduated scale on either side of the brake monitor which increases and decreases with available regen. Each tic represents 6kW and corresponds to one regen bubble on the dash.

Attachments

• brake_kW.jpg
    brake_kW.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 28
Back