The battery replacement/buyback thread.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2011. In 2015 the battery was failing. I was TOLD at the time by the dealer that the warranty was 8 years or 100,000 miles for the new ones
. Great, I thought. Wrote that down that by 2022 I should look into replacing the batteries. When I started calling to see about getting a new battery, I found out that the 8 years was from the “birthday/factory date” the car was started. NOBODY told me that. So the warranty was over in 2019. And if I purchase a new battery it has a one year warranty for spending $12,000

In addition to that, your car only has a 5 year 60k mile warranty. The 8 year 100k mile only applies to the 30/40/62kwh batteries, and yours had a 24. Not just any 24, the *really bad* version that fails very quickly (2011-April 2013).

Hi, i have been waiting since november 2023. I live in Quebec! They gave me a loaner and no estimate to replace my battery

In addition to that, your car only has a 5 year 60k mile warranty. The 8 year 100k mile only applies to the 30/40/62kwh batteries, and yours had a 24. Not just any 24, the *really bad* version that fails very quickly (2011-April 2013).

Sort of.
5/60 for pack degradation
8/100 for pack manufacturing defect (if you can get Nissan to admit it)

For those who have lost their 4th bar on a 2016 and used leaf spy pro do remember what your SOH was when the last bar dropped? Currently at 66.9%, 73000 miles, and have until October 2025 for warranty replacement based on my in service date of October 2017.

Good day Gentlemen,

Hope anyone can help me. I bought a Nissan Leaf that was imported from Japan to Namibia, it's a 2017 model currently with 88k km on it. It dropped 3 bars already, is at only 70% SOH. Local Nissan dealers cannot help me, I approached both Namibian (where I live) dealership, and also the main South African dealership. They said I must phone Nissan Japan. Well, I cannot really phone them!

Is there anyone that can help me with a few email addresses of Nissan in Japan that I can contact with regards to my battery failure? I have had the battery fail suddenly, dropping my very slow speed range to barely 60km, due to one or 2 cells failing completely.

I will really appreciate it if anyone can advise me of the correct contact details of Nissan in Japan that might assist me.

I am in Namibia, Southern Africa.

Kind regards,
Danie

Also in BC, but battery has not reached that point, and I expect to hit 8 years or 100K first. However if you've been waiting 10 months or a year, since you're in Canada I'd tell my story to CBC's Go Public. Even better, if several people collectively tell them the same story. They seem to be effective at publicizing corporate shortcomings to the point that the company in question is sufficiently embarrassed and makes good.
A CBC report already exists for the Leaf, and fairly recently too. I did email the author after reading it, but didn't hear back

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/electric-vehicle-battery-replacement-1.7066842.

For those asking, I didn't get a loaner as I wasn't offered one. I left my car at the dealer for two months and then asked for it back since there was no ETA, still driving my now 7 bar Leaf around.

One weak cell so it definitely struggled in Vancouver BC during that one really cold week, but is usable otherwise. I do top it up more often as I notice that SoC drops really fast below 50% due to high pack variance (140 mv idle, 200-400 on load). When charging to full it starts off ok at around 20-30 mv idle and 100 mv on acceleration

I would say I have around 50-70 km usable range before things get a little dicey, but I have a 240v charger at home so I just do midday topups more often now

Just got a lowball buyout offer from Nissan arbitration. They want to charge me $7400 for one year/10k miles of usage.

What state are you in? I’ve read here that Nissan uses your state’s lemon law to determine the usage charge.
I’m in Florida. Not sure what the lemon law guidelines are here, but I’ll look into it. Thanks. Hard to believe that they would charge me $.75/mile for usage.

I’m in Florida. Not sure what the lemon law guidelines are here, but I’ll look into it. Thanks. Hard to believe that they would charge me $.75/mile for usage.
I'm not sure what the lemon law guidelines are either, but I'm in Florida as well. I asked nicely for "anything else they can do", and the usage charge was removed entirely.

I'm not sure what the lemon law guidelines are either, but I'm in Florida as well. I asked nicely for "anything else they can do", and the usage charge was removed entirely.
Thanks, that's good to know. I told them I'd take the offer if they removed the usage charge. We'll see.

Figured I’d add my info as a data point for a 40kWh battery replacement for my 2022 SV with 24k miles. I’m shocked how quickly it was finished. I’m in south Florida and the car was purchased, not leased, in Nov 2021.

2-25 Got error “unable to restart after power off.” Used LeafSpy and saw P0AA6-1A code among others. Replaced the 12V but did not fix the problem. Used LeafSpy to clear the codes but they came back immediately.

2-26. Used LeafSpy to clear codes so that I could drive to dealership. Error was showing again by the time I got there. Was told I was #4 in line for a rental car.

2-27. Dealer said they need to send pics of battery to Nissan and we’d hear back in 24-48h. No rental available.

2-28. No updates from Nissan yet. No rental car available. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs just to have a case set up if it gets drawn out. Also I really need a rental car.

2-29. Dealer calls in the morning to tell me rental is available! (I got a Murano with 5000 miles) Nissan Consumer Affairs calls me to get case started and tells me they’ll communicate with dealer to help everything go smoothly.

3-4 through 3-11. Nissan Consumer Affairs called me 2 or 3 times to update me. Last update was basically “getting ready to replace battery and not sure if it’s on backorder or not.” My rep said she’d be out for the rest of the week but would update me on Monday (3-18).

3-15. Message from the dealer at 7:45 “your vehicle is ready to be picked up.” 18 days! I was prepared to be waiting for months!

Just got my car with its shiny new battery. 99.75% SOH. Here’s hoping this one lasts more than 24,000 miles. This is my 2nd Leaf and I love it very much. But I am so sorry to see all of the battery replacement horror stories.

I emailed about 20+ firms trying to find someone interested in starting up a class action. A few so far have asked for more info. If there's anyone out there with a suggestion on where I should look, please let me know.

Most recent article i read was a Nissan PR boasting about their new fleet of evs that are on the horizon by 2026, 14 billion in profit expected, etc. ...And yet they have the audacity to blame supply chain issues for the reason they can't honor their warranty obligations in a timely manner. Sure.

Ontario here and I have been waiting since Dec 2023

No time estimate but I still use the car
Good at least it is still driveable. We took the vehicle to go to the theater last month while outside it was -10. After hitting 105km/h the turtle appeared even if we were full charge before leaving and we only had driven 10 km

It seems I'm following your path. I'm in Winnipeg with a 2016 SL, 7 bars (54% SOH). I started my claim in June. I get biweekly texts from the dealer saying they're waiting with no ETA. The best info I got was about a month ago saying I'm #32 of 44 in the Canada wide wait list. One difference for me is that I'm waiting for an 'American' battery since my car was imported and doesn't have the battery warmers in it.

The car is still fine for my needs until the battery temp drops below freezing. Even then it's not the range that bothers me, it's the power reduction. The car goes hard into turtle mode. I need to turn the heaters off to get it over 50 kph. Luckily(?) with 30%hx, there's so much internal heat being generated the battery doesn't get that cold too often, at least not this winter. I told my dealer that if I don't have a new battery before September I'm going to need a loaner as mine will probably be a brick by then.

Let us know if you get any action. I'm curious to know how long others are waiting, or if Canada starts buying them back too.
Hi, I’m also in Winnipeg with an older US Leaf. What’s a safe way to communicate offline? Mike

I just picked up my 2016 Leaf SL from the dealership today with the new battery installed and thought I'd update my story.

May 10th, 2023 I brought the Leaf to the dealership after it lost it's 4th bar-- was told I would get the warranty replacement, but it would be about 6 months or so.

Beginning of Nov. 2023, I contacted the dealership for an update and they said they didn't have one-- still a long wait. At this point, they told me to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs.
After some negotiation, they offered a buyback for the original purchase price ($11,300.00), but I rejected it since I couldn't replace my vehicle at that dollar amount and I continued to wait.

Feb. 29th, 2024, I sent an email to Toby Perry ([email protected]) and cc'd Jeremie Papin ([email protected]) and described my situation and long wait and asked if anything could be done.
Later that day, I received a call from Nissan's Administrative office from someone who said they were told by Nissan executives to contact me. I shared my situation with her and she said she would look into it and gave me a new case number, she also said she would call me every week with an update until my situation was resolved.
Within one week, she contacted me and told me that the dealership had my battery in and as soon as the EV tech was back from vacation, it would be installed.

The first battery they sent apparently had a programing issue, so I was afraid it would take another long while, but a week later, it was done.

April 9th 2024-- New battery (showing 170 miles of range when I picked it up:)) installed and vehicle picked up.

For those waiting, I feel the most helpful thing to do might have been emailing Toby and CCing Jeremie as they actually followed up and had someone contact me who seemed to make something happen within a week.

Very glad we waited it out and happy to have the increased range! They did tell me, however, that the only warranty on the replacement battery is through the end of the original battery's warranty period, so for me, I've only got a 1 year warranty on the new battery apparently.

Back