The 2011 Nissan Leaf is a Mac.The 2011 Chevy Volt is a PC...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog...san-leaf-is-a-mac-the-2011-chevy-volt-is-a-pc

By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield June 4th, 2010 http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog
The Nissan Leaf is a very different car to the Volt. The Leaf has an almost feminine curvy styling with a front end highly evocative of so many Japanese anime series. Its front-mounted charger port door forms a button nose low down and high headlamps almost give the car a set of eyebrows.
In contrast, the Volt's grille is lower and more predatory. There's not a hint of fluffy bunnies or big doleful eyes and it looks as if it would sooner bite your finger off than accept a friendly pat. And it's not at all feminine.

Yeah, there's basic differences in styling and approach between US - Japanese companies as it is. I can't get on board with the Mac vs PC meme (obviously all the EV conversions out there are 'Linux').
I hope both cars do well in the marketplace.

I though the comment about "Nissan being an outsider" compared to GM was interesting. For the most part in California, GM is a joke rather than a brand. Nissan is the car next door. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting an Altima.

Same goes for Prius - I haven't noticed Toyota having trouble finding car buyers (at least until the last few months).

Here is my comment ...

Funny, talking about anime and Japan. Leaf was designed in San Diego. But, definitely Volt looks more masculine than Leaf.

Comparison to PC & Mac is fairly inappropriate. Afterall I expect to see more Leafs sold than Volt - instead of 90% PCs and 5% Macs. More importantly, people select Leaf because it is a pure EV. I already have nother ICE car in the family to use for longer drives - so don't need Volt.

BTW, if Volt was a pure BEV and Leaf was a PHEV, I'd buy Volt.

The 2011 Leaf's interior is bright and airy, with room for five and a massive 17 inch touch-screen interface taking up the centre of the dashboard.

7 inches maybe, not 17 inches

Ooo! Macs - "style over substance"??? My Mac at home can run circles around that junky PC I have to use at work. mwalsh, obviously you've never owned a Mac. But, to each his/her own.

Azrich said:
The 2011 Leaf's interior is bright and airy, with room for five and a massive 17 inch touch-screen interface taking up the centre of the dashboard.

7 inches maybe, not 17 inches

Ooo! Macs - "style over substance"??? My Mac at home can run circles around that junky PC I have to use at work. mwalsh, obviously you've never owned a Mac. But, to each his/her own.

I think she got confused with the 17" monitor mounted in portrait orientation in the Tesla S.

Azrich said:
Ah yes. I was wondering how long it would take to come to this.

My computer is better than yours! :roll:

Good lord. Make no mistake - many of us own and use both machines. We don't need to be told what's better. We all have different needs.

One thing's for certain. My car is better than yours! ;)

First time I've seen some comparison between these two cars in this forum, unlike in gm-volt land where Leaf is synonymous to range-anxiety. To me, the Volt still uses gas, so I still have to change oil, coolant, air filter, smog check and all those maintenance crap. Forget it.

Sent from my Macbook Pro ;)

I have to get my wife, with one knee replacement and arthritis in her hands, to give up the power driver seat in her car. That might end up killing the LEAF deal for us, at least for now.

The LEAF does have a MANUAL-adjust driver seat, right?

Or, the seat might not adjust DOWN far enough to provide sufficient safe headroom for me.

trentr said:
First time I've seen some comparison between these two cars in this forum, unlike in gm-volt land where Leaf is synonymous to range-anxiety. To me, the Volt still uses gas, so I still have to change oil, coolant, air filter, smog check and all those maintenance crap. Forget it.
To be fair, only 12% of the respondents in a recent poll here (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=482) said that a Leaf would be their only car. The rest of us will have to continue to put up with all that nasty stuff on the ICE car we keep around for long trips, etc.

Everybody's numbers will be different, but in my case it looks like it might be a close call as to whether I would drive the ICE car more or whether I would use the "range extender" of a Volt more. Except for smog check, most of what you list would be largely dependent on how much the gas engine is used, and if that is used about the same amount for the two cases ... Finally, you didn't list license or insurance, which would definitely be more with two vehicles than with one.

But don't think that means I'm about to run out and buy a Volt. Compared to a Leaf it's going to be low volume, high priced, and hard to service. Not to mention that GM is so far behind on marketing that you almost wonder if the Volt is vaporware.

planet4ever said:
Finally, you didn't list license or insurance, which would definitely be more with two vehicles than with one.

We don't have 2 vehicles now because we have an EV - the whole point of two vehicles in a family is that - we need two vehicles for two people.

Ideally, I'd like to have an EV & a PHEV. That would greatly reduce the oil consumption - and yet allow us to do local trips that are more than 40 miles from home.

Back