Texas-Sized Solar!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the high-temperature gas-cooled reactor (HTGR) concept - no loss of coolant possibility. A few small prototypes were built in the 1960s, but the concept never gained traction against the water-cooled designs.

Herm said:
They are working on it, as you say much easier to do with smaller plants.. I like small nukes, also less chance of losing a large portion of of your generating capacity if something happens. Steam can be piped easily, surround the steam turbines with a ring of small nukes at a distance (several miles).. and small nukes are easy to shutdown/restart and much easier to refuel. A refueling event at a big power plant every 18 months is a chinese fire drill of delayed maintenance, and god forbid if you damage anything while doing so. I'm sure the industry will come up with something practical (both economically, safety wise and national power needs wise) following the extreme German reaction after Fukushima.

Look at the French record on nuclear power, compare it to Japan's.. why such a discrepancy between automotive and nuclear engineering between the two countries?.

FYI, my brother sent me these photos of a wind turbine installation (I think it is in North Dakota). AWESOME, eh? You could power a lot of BEV's with this sucker, with no polution.

http://www.cashton.com/North_Wind_Turbine_Const-DM-CS-SB-2-reduced-in-size.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back