Tesla Winter Range - NY Times article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow said:
Don't be so sure. TSLA tanked after the review - look at who profited.

Who could profit? I hate to say it, but if Tesla tanks, taking the planned Gen 3 with it, wouldn't Nissan have one less competitor? Same for GM and Ford. Hope not, but this stuff does happen in the business world.

smkettner said:
Who shorted the stock two days before the article came out?

%40 of the outstanding shares in TSLA are shorted. There are massive short positions, and they have been getting creamed lately, as the stock has been steadily rising. The list of "suspects" is long, big oil, the "ICE" automotive industry (millions of jobs at stake), TSLA short position holders... more people want Tesla to fail, than to succeed, really.

we'll probably never know, but Tesla will soldier on, that's what they do :)

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

%40 of the outstanding shares in TSLA are shorted. There are massive short positions, and they have been getting creamed lately, as the stock has been steadily rising. The list of "suspects" is long, big oil, the "ICE" automotive industry (millions of jobs at stake), TSLA short position holders... more people want Tesla to fail, than to succeed, really.

broder has been at the times for a very very long time. it would be an absolute first for someone to find that he was paid to screw this story, which he did not seek but was assigned to; from what i read about the circumstance.

how do you plan to short a stock, then get Tesla to propose the journalist you know you can buy off?
ur idea simply has no legs.
--

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/teslas-elon-musk-ny-times-disturbing-discrepancies-on-model-s-range-reporting.php?ref=fpnewsfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
substantial and intelligent report at above link.

thankyouOB said:
mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

broder has been at the times for a very very long time. it would be an absolute first for someone to find that he was paid to screw this story, which he did not seek but was assigned to; from what i read about the circumstance.

how do you plan to short a stock, then get Tesla to propose the journalist you know you can buy off?
ur idea simply has no legs.

You just never know, do you? He's based in NY, someone who knows someone, could have approached him. He has a history of antiEV sentiment, if word was out that he was chosen to write this story, he easily could have been approached to "make it go south". Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean there aren't people out to get you :) Tesla has now PROOF that he was driving in circles in the parking lot where the SuperCharger is located, trying to get the car to die. My idea has PLENTY of legs, as I've stated there are multiple interests "out to get Tesla". I don't give a rats a-s if you believe it or not, it's true.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1184911-can-tesla-beat-the-times?source=email_rt_article_title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imho, the "driving in circles" thing is the least of the issue. If he was trying to run the car flat for the story, why would he have stopped? I think it's plausible that since the car seemed close to stopping, he just wanted to see what the final progression was. There were no consequences to the story from the circling. I don't think it proves anything one way or the other.

But many of the other actions and outright falsehoods strongly suggest a deliberate foray into yellow journalism. It will be interesting to see what the Times does with this. I can just imagine the howls of "political correctness" if they take action against the guy. Tesla could stay in the headlines for weeks! :p

mitch672 said:
You just never know, do you? He's based in NY, someone who knows someone, could have approached him. He has a history of antiEV sentiment, if word was out that he was chosen to write this story, he easily could have been approached to "make it go south". Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean there aren't people out to get you :) Tesla has now PROOF that he was driving in circles in the parking lot where the SuperCharger is located, trying to get the car to die. My idea has PLENTY of legs, as I've stated there are multiple interests "out to get Tesla". I don't give a rats a-s if you believe it or not, it's true.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1184911-can-tesla-beat-the-times?source=email_rt_article_title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

facts are funny things: Broder is based in DC.
not that being wrong about a fact will derail folks who want to find conspiracy.
put on your tinfoil hat.

About as far as you can take Broder's prejudice is that he has previously written negatively about EVs and his views are informed by those experiences. So, he had a preconceived take on whether they make sense.
You can find that among lots and lots of folks. You can read comments on the NYT and elsewhere from folks who forget that the idea of an EV is to get off petroleum, sharlpy reduce vehicle pollution and clean up greenhouse gas emissions. That CANNOT be done in a porsche or a mercedes, which dont offer EVs.
That Tesla didnt research his earlier stories is a failure at grade-school level PR prep. not excusable. I bet that never happens there again.

Nubo said:
Imho, the "driving in circles" thing is the least of the issue. If he was trying to run the car flat for the story, why would he have stopped? I think it's plausible that since the car seemed close to stopping, he just wanted to see what the final progression was. There were no consequences to the story from the circling. I don't think it proves anything one way or the other.
Well, why exactly would someone circle ?

- He was looking for the super charger
- He wanted to see what happens "at the end"

In both cases I expect him to note that in his "review". He *should* have known that his "review" would be controversial and would be questioned.

Now looking at rest of the evidence, we have to assume
- He wanted to stall the car and create a story

I've a new thread to track the story.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us continue the discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back