T-Boned yesterday on our 2019 SL Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FIRST a big Thank you to all who replied.

I have to say that the air bags and seat belts did a good job of preventing my wife from serious injury or worse.

She now has nasty bruises on her shoulder, her right arm and inner elbow, across her chest, across her lower belly, both hips, her knees etc. but nothing broken. She also has burn/abrasion on her right elbow where the seat side airbag went off. The CT scan showed that she has significant cervical neck issues not caused by the accident so she has been referred to a neurosurgeon.

I know it’s not my fault but regardlessI feel guilty as if I did something wrong that caused my wife to get hurt.

Tell your loved ones that you love them every day.

Flyct said:
The at fault driver doesn’t have insurance so it will go under my $1,000 deductible collision coverage.
Are you sure about that ?
In my state I have to purchase uninsured motorist coverage.

Florida may be different.

---
I get where your wife is coming from if you have been mired in a Lemon Law proceeding. Not that there is a high likelihood the same problem(s) would pop up again, but I'm sure it sours one's view of the brand. What were the issues ?

Wow so sorry to hear about your injuries.... if the accident revealed a serious neck issue (not caused by the accident) requiring a neurosurgeon, then perhaps that is the silver lining in this horrible situation.

We recently got rear ended while waiting to enter traffic (local road not highway). Looked like only bad bumper damage but after disassembly the rear quarter panel also needed to be replaced. My wife is still suffering, sadly. Man 2020 can't get over fast enough.

Flyct said:
LeftieBiker said:
If the car is leased, then I wouldn't fight too hard to keep it unless you made a large down-payment. If you own it, and they total it, consider buying it back from the insurance company if the pack is undamaged, there is no other major issue, and the buy-back price is low. You can likely either sell it for more than you pay because of the pack, or replace the doors and drive it as a Winter car.

This is our first accident in over 35 years. We’ve been with State Farm since 1970, 50 years. Time flys.

The car is owned by me outright, clean title, no lien.

If it’s totaled my wife is saying to not buy another even though she loved the car.

2020 SL Pluses have an MSRP of about $45,000. After a $6,000 rebate and negotiated dealer discount plus tax and fees I believe I could buy one for $36,500 out the door. I can qualify for the $7,500 tax credit so my total real net cost would be about $29,000. I think value of the totaled 2019 would be about $26,000 so my net cost would be $3,000.

I just have to wait to see what State Farm comes back with. I don’t think it will be totaled. To total it, it would have to have more than $19,000 in damage estimate ie 70% of current value.

The value of my 2016 S 30 was $15,245.89 and repair costs were over $22K. Your car is waaaay totaled. FYI; I would think it varies between insurers and the type of car but my adjuster told me mine would be totaled if repairs exceeded like $9,000 or so.

The value of my 2016 S 30 was $15,245.89 and repair costs were over $22K. Your car is waaaay totaled. FYI; I would think it varies between insurers and the type of car but my adjuster told me mine would be totaled if repairs exceeded like $9,000 or so.

$9k damage on a $15,245 value car is 60%. I used 70% threshold from memory to calculate my estimate of damage required to total a car. Last time I went through this was over 25 years ago when my daughters car was totaled.

Insurance companies fear that a body shop submits a “supplemental” request after starting to work on a car. It’s pretty common to find other things needing repair after starting the work. A supplemental can easily drive up repair cost to exceed salvage value that insurance company could recover if it’s totaled.

Flyct said:

$9k damage on a $15,245 value car is 60%. I used 70% threshold from memory to calculate my estimate of damage required to total a car. Last time I went through this was over 25 years ago when my daughters car was totaled.

Insurance companies fear that a body shop submits a “supplemental” request after starting to work on a car. It’s pretty common to find other things needing repair after starting the work. A supplemental can easily drive up repair cost to exceed salvage value that insurance company could recover if it’s totaled.

the $9k value is what I remember. That figure is not on any paperwork i got. I do remember it was shockingly low and could have been lower. The other thing you need to consider is salvage value. Your pack is likely fine and it allows the car to be totaled faster, not slower. If there are parts that are super expensive and salvagble some insurance companies will total it hoping to make up more on the back end.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
The at fault driver doesn’t have insurance so it will go under my $1,000 deductible collision coverage.
Are you sure about that ?
In my state I have to purchase uninsured motorist coverage.

---
I get where your wife is coming from if you have been mired in a Lemon Law proceeding. Not that there is a high likelihood the same problem(s) would pop up again, but I'm sure it sours one's view of the brand. What were the issues ?

Here’s a good site explaining Uninsured Motorist coverage. https://www.weshopinsurance.com/news/2016/07/what-is-florida-uninsured-motorist-coverage

Florida UM, Uninsured Motorist only covers injuries where other driver is uninsured or underinsured. It also covers others in your car if they are hurt when hit by an uninsured driver. State Farm is unique where you can purchase “Stacked” uninsured on one car and it covers you on all cars. I don’t carry UM coverage on my Leaf but I carry $250k/$500k stacked UM on my Lexus. Medical bills will be paid by that policy. In fact I had a friend who was hit as a pedestrian by an uninsured driver. His UM picked up all his medical bills and even paid for a lawn service since he was laid up.

So for us State Farm UM will pay 80% of customary medical bills. The other 20% would then go to Medicare and then to our BCBS PPO policy. We won’t have any responsibility for medical bills.

If you’re hit by an at fault uninsured or an underinsured motorist the body damage and property damage claim would be paid under your collision coverage. I carry $1,000 deductible Collision on all my cars just for this type of accident. I do also carry a $2 million dollar umbrella liability policy in case I get sued. I only insure that which I cannot afford to lose.

Our 2016 Leaf SL lost its nose late today when it T-Boned some kind station wagon like car that ran a red light. It continued a short ways and stopped upside down. The front airbags deployed yet our car looked drivable. The dash booted up but was throwing several codes but the car wouldn't move. The daughter was driving her Mom to work when it happened. I had been doing some backhoe work at the son's place and was on my way home so I was at the accident scene in about 5 minutes. They were able to get out of car but got some airbag burns and shook up. I am glad they could walk and weren't bleeding. The passenger side windshield broke. Not looking forward to dealing with this next week.

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

Here’s a good site explaining Uninsured Motorist coverage. https://www.weshopinsurance.com/news/2016/07/what-is-florida-uninsured-motorist-coverage

If you’re hit by an at fault uninsured or an underinsured motorist the body damage and property damage claim would be paid under your collision coverage. I carry $1,000 deductible Collision on all my cars just for this type of accident. I do also carry a $2 million dollar umbrella liability policy in case I get sued. I only insure that which I cannot afford to lose.
Here is a generic, non state specific blurb from Progressive (my bolding) for others
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage for bodily injury covers you, your household relatives, and the passengers in your covered vehicle, and applies to damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering resulting from bodily injuries caused by an at-fault motorist who has insufficient or no liability coverage.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage for property damage insures your vehicle and property for damage caused by an at-fault motorist who has insufficient or no liability coverage.

My memory is foggy on the details, but IIRC when Amica insured my car in Colorado they required Collision coverage in order to buy uninsured motorist property coverage. Which is really just to say that insurance companies and states all add their own quirks to UM.

GaleHawkins said:
Our 2016 Leaf SL lost its nose late today when it T-Boned some kind station wagon like car that ran a red light. It continued a short ways and stopped upside down. The front airbags deployed yet our car looked drivable. The dash booted up but was throwing several codes but the car wouldn't move. The daughter was driving her Mom to work when it happened. I had been doing some backhoe work at the son's place and was on my way home so I was at the accident scene in about 5 minutes. They were able to get out of car but got some airbag burns and shook up. I am glad they could walk and weren't bleeding. The passenger side windshield broke. Not looking forward to dealing with this next week.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/files/rural-living/675880d1604935205-battery-based-electric-vehicles-today-2020-7-nov-leaf-photo

Here is a picture of our 2016 Leaf after it T-Boned the red van in the photo that ran a red light. I got the photos to my insurance this morning and police report number.

The van landed upside down on the opposite side of the 5 lane street. The tow truck just had put it back tires down. It was in a 35 MPH zone.

Glad your family is OK. That looks like a pretty scary episode for those in the car. Thank goodness for all the safety improvements made by the auto mfg's over the years and especially big thanks to those who pushed for them, sometimes against the odds. Imagine if this happened in a 68 Impala or something.

Imagine if this happened in a 68 Impala or something.

By the late Sixties safety improvements were underway. The sheer mass of an Impala (and its doors) might have protected the occupants from cabin intrusion, if not from being tossed around because of the primitive lap belts (assuming they were actually used). Now a smaller '62 or so American car - that would be a death trap. I was surprised to learn that side impact bars weren't introduced until 1991 (by Volvo, who also included shoulder belts as early as the late Fifties) and weren't mandated until something like 2007.

GaleHawkins said:

I’m so happy that your daughter and her Mom were able walk away.

I just got the accident report for our leaf. The other driver was charged with:
Failure to yield right of way
Running a Red light
Expired tags
No insurance
Suspended Driver license
and not on the report, per the police she was arrested for drug paraphernalia in the car.

These newer cars have amazing safety protection between air bags, side impact door beams, frontal crush zones etc.

Flyct said:
GaleHawkins said:

Running a Red light
Expired tags
No insurance
Suspended Driver license
and not on the report, per the police she was arrested for drug paraphernalia in the car.

These newer cars have amazing safety protection between air bags, side impact door beams, frontal crush zones etc.

Thanks. Yes I was impressed with the way the Leaf protected them. I wouldn't have thought the Leaf could have put that van on its side then on its top the way it did.

The adjuster was sure when he showed on Tuesday that it be totaled. Hopefully soon to know what replacement and buy back value they decide. We hope to find another wreck for parts.

GaleHawkins said:
Flyct said:
GaleHawkins said:

Running a Red light
Expired tags
No insurance
Suspended Driver license

Thanks. Yes I was impressed with the way the Leaf protected them. I wouldn't have thought the Leaf could have put that van on its side then on its top the way it did.

The adjuster was sure when he showed on Tuesday that it be totaled. Hopefully soon to know what replacement and buy back value they decide. We hope to find another wreck for parts.

Its all about physics and football (sorry but it is that time of season) The winner is who has the lowest center of gravity and there is probably no van in the world that can compete against an EV.

It also doesn't hurt that the Leaf is carrying a massive battery pack.

(The preceding was one of the few correct uses for the word "massive" - which should otherwise be banned for a few years, as it is NOT correct when applied to fires, plumes of smoke, or anything else that isn't extremely heavy.)

Will the insurance company even insure a totaled car that is rebuilt?

OP, your wife and child are alive after a very scary accident, and you would put them back in a totaled car that is rebuilt?
Really?

LeftieBiker said:

By the late Sixties safety improvements were underway. The sheer mass of an Impala (and its doors) might have protected the occupants from cabin intrusion, if not from being tossed around because of the primitive lap belts (assuming they were actually used). Now a smaller '62 or so American car - that would be a death trap.
On that note, I was looking for a video on old vs. new that I'd seen before and did find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck. Would be interesting to find late 60's American car vs. modern one in a crash.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:

By the late Sixties safety improvements were underway. The sheer mass of an Impala (and its doors) might have protected the occupants from cabin intrusion, if not from being tossed around because of the primitive lap belts (assuming they were actually used). Now a smaller '62 or so American car - that would be a death trap.
On that note, I was looking for a video on old vs. new that I'd seen before and did find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck. Would be interesting to find late 60's American car vs. modern one in a crash.

:shock:

HOLY CRAP WHAT A HUGE difference! The older driver is most certainly dead while the newer driver probably got most of his relatively minor injuries from air bag deployment.

Back