Survey: Volt drivers hate gas, plug in more than LEAFers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One blogger called plug-in hybrids "training wheels" for pure EVs; the perfect metaphor, I think.

Once many hybrid drivers discover they can live without the ICE backup, they will, by trading "up" to a pure BEV. Like GaslessInSeattle, I see this as a good thing for the electric drive movement. Not exactly what we may have envisioned originally, but a transitional step in the right direction.

Gas anxiety is a healthy thing to create in people, and plug-ins do it, so I'm for them if that's what it takes to wean the masses.

timhebb said:
Once many hybrid drivers discover they can live without the ICE backup, they will, by trading "up" to a pure BEV.

You can't be possibly more wrong with the current options that we have with BEVs. Personally, I am not going to pure BEV until they address main issues and that would take a few years before I look at them again...

IBELEAF said:
Personally, I am not going to pure BEV until they address main issues and that would take a few years before I look at them again...
Did you just sell your Leaf? There is a Volt in your profile...

IBELEAF said:
timhebb said:
Once many hybrid drivers discover they can live without the ICE backup, they will, by trading "up" to a pure BEV.

... Personally, I am not going to pure BEV until they address main issues and that would take a few years before I look at them again...

What issues exactly are the deal-killers for you?

Apart from range (and the associated charging time), what issues do BEVs have that plug-in hybrids don't?

For me, the additional cost, complexity and maintenance issues are what I seek to avoid by opting for a Leaf rather than, say, a Volt. I realize one size doesn't fit all.

I started with the Leaf. I was attracted by the purity of it, the evGo fast charging infrastructure that was developing in the area, and I love it. BUT, the planning and stress involved while fun at first does not make for a fun long term experience and for most people would be an immediate turn off. The range and charge times just aren't there for the masses.

So, the Volt was perfect. "Electric when you want it, gas when you need it". My wife has one that has used almost no gas in 4 months. There has also been zero stress (and a little planning as she is getting into trying to avoid using gas). Could it be another Leaf? Perhaps, but the Volt handles better and is more fun for her to drive without looking like an odd duck.

And my Volt is again perfect. I take monthly out of town trips so am running about 50/50 gas/electric. I have fun looking for electric charges when on trips, but not depending on it is liberating.

We love all 3 cars, and it really bothers me seeing Leaf purists put down Volt owners or Volt lovers gloat about Leaf range/battery issues. Each can be perfect for the right kind of owner. Don't put down other people because your car doesn't fit their needs.

You could give the Volt to anyone and they would love it and not have to change their behavior, while learning how cool it is to drive electric. You give the Leaf to anyone and they will have a learning curve with regard to planning trips, when to charge to what level, etc. Most wouldn't want to bother.

The Volt is just the right thing for the masses right now. A perfect transitional vehicle until range and charge times get where they need to be for BEV acceptance. I see the battery range in Volt-like vehicles gradually increasing to the point that the range extender becomes an option and then can finally be dropped. How long that takes depends on battery/charging technology. But even starting where it is right now puts SO much more electric miles on the road with no change in owner behavior that it is a no brainer to me to promote it if you want to get to BEV acceptance. Otherwise, people will just burn gas for years until the battery technology gets good enough. Why wait, start now.

My 2 cents.

Cheezmo said:
You could give the Volt to anyone and they ould love it and not have to change their behavior, while learning how cool it is to drive electric.

Except for the family of 5, who have to strap one kid to the roof, like Romney did with his dog, just to go to a movie or dinner.

Back