Support for Petition Camp Pendleton Quick Charger Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricfuture

I propose a petition requesting the Commander at Camp Pendleton to install Fast Chargers along the north bound and south bound I5, which would allow BEVs to practically travel round trip between the greater Los Angeles area and San Diego County.

Currently several hours of charging time are required both going and coming using L2 charges located at the north and south camp boarders and each area is under control of private utility companies (if not inside a Nissan dealership) who are bound to charge exorbitant rates when they finally get around to providing L3 chargers.

I believe that the Commander would be receptive to the proposal as this would support the Federal Government efforts to encourage the use of BEV’s already supported by the tax incentives. The military has been mandated to move toward energy independence and as a result are among the leaders of installation of renewable power sources with several projects underway and thus would be in tune with such a suggestion.

Moreover, I believe the rates for charging could be in the range of $0.10 per KWH in line with other government operated utilities such as BPA, which would also make the journey low costs.
Leaf groups in L.A. and San Diego could circulate the petitions at meetings/events or possibly just a signing event.

Suggested petition wording and mechanics of making this happen are welcome.

I disagree with this proposal. Every time there's a brillant idea for anything (airports, freeways, Nuke power plants, etc), everybody looks to "all that land" that was set aside to train Marines.

The Marine Corps is not responsible for our fueling in our EV's or petrol burners. I don't want my taxpayer money or resources spent on this, or any plan, that doesn't promote our national defense.

When the folks in San Diego were planning a new airport (that was voted down), naturally one of the ideas was Camp Pendleton. The commanding officer succinctly stated that not only was their not going to be an civil airport there, but there wouldn't be one there in his son's lifetime, or his son's son's lifetime.

Furthermore, EV Oasis has already announced DC quick chargers both north and south of Pendelton.

Semper Fi.

TonyWilliams said:
I disagree with this proposal.
I don't necessarily see the a flow logic of the disagreement as one of the key security issues of our country is our dependence on oil. Encouraging and nurturing the use of EVs seems to be very much in the interest of national security.

A QC at the public rest area surroundedPendelton by seems like a more likely spot though.

No. Using that logic, then because I5 runs right through the installation, Joint Base Lewis McChord in Washington state ought to install quick chargers for public use.

If the federal government is going to install and fund chargers, then it is the Department of Energy's bailiwick. Certainly not the Department of Defense.

Bill

JimSouCal said:
TonyWilliams said:
I disagree with this proposal.
I don't necessarily see the a flow logic of the disagreement as one of the key security issues of our country is our dependence on oil.

There aren't too many places to train Marines to invade beach heads in the USA... Pendelton is one of them. Every one of these projects that impact that training is adverse to national security now, and in the future, forever.

Yes, you could probably make a passionate argument that would also be "national security", and therefore more important (to you, today) than having a reservation set aside in perpetuity for the actual defense of our country.

Every developer in southern California salivates over getting a piece of that beachfront, and when it's gone, it's gone. I hope it either stays a military compound forever, or a National Park and returned to it's native origin.

I agree with you about getting off oil. 100%. We can get off oil without impacting the U.S. Marines Corps, and their critical mission. Same for all the future "whatevers" that somebody thinks needs to be built on that ground, 'cuz it's super duper important now.

I doubt the military can install public use facilities and give access along the corridor without specific order from Congress.
Most would call this pork tacked onto some other legislation. Don't get your hopes up.

Even if you were willing to pay all installation expenses and ongoing maintenance you would need to start by contracting a lobbyist to push the issue.

ebill3 said:
Every developer in southern California salivates over getting a piece of that beachfront, and when it's gone, it's gone.

I don't want my taxpayer money or resources spent on this, or any plan, that doesn't promote our national defense.

Tony,
I5 inside Camp Pendleton runs along San Onofre State Beach Park and a rest station could be inexpensively installed along the side road to the park – next to the San Onofre Nuclear Power plant. So, there is no infringement or impact at all on the Marine’s landing training beaches or any other part of their facility.

Proximity to the power plant insures a low cost power cable extension to the site. Nissan’s new fast chargers are $10,000 each so if you add another $100,000 for road work, charger pedestals, and laying the power cable that would probably do it. Maintenance would be minimal and could be added to their existing electrical equipment maintenance contract – or directly with Nissan. Moreover, permitting would be greatly reduced based on being off a Federal Interstate highway and on a military reservation.

As for government assistance, each Leaf owner and soon other electric car owners already receive a $7,5000 tax credit to encourage the use of EV’s as part of an improvement of National Security, but their use is thwarted due to a lack of public charging stations limiting use to a 70-100 mile range from your house.

EVOASIS is still a dream waiting for investors and I can pretty much assure you that the rates will exceed their estimates: “Californians can expect to pay between 13 and 30 cents per kWh.” as this will not cover their building/coffee shop costs/maintenance plus SoCal/SDG&E rates. You can’t count on EVOASIS refurbishing old gas stations and getting it done in the near future. We don’t need a restaurant for a 20 minute stop – maybe just a rest room like the ones on Interstates across the U.S.

If you live in San Diego County you know that ECOtallity promised 1400 public chargers by year end and there are currently only 39 – L2 chargers and no L3s.

Point is well taken that this may fall under the Department of Energy rather than approaching the military, but I think I’ll wait for the Commander to tell me that.

electricfuture said:
Tony,
I5 inside Camp Pendleton runs along San Onofre State Beach Park and a rest station could be inexpensively installed along the side road to the park – next to the San Onofre Nuclear Power plant. So, there is no infringement or impact at all on the Marine’s landing training beaches or any other part of their facility.

Proximity to the power plant insures a low cost power cable extension to the site. Nissan’s new fast chargers are $10,000 each so if you add another $100,000 for road work, charger pedestals, and laying the power cable that would probably do it. Maintenance would be minimal and could be added to their existing electrical equipment maintenance contract – or directly with Nissan. Moreover, permitting would be greatly reduced based on being off a Federal Interstate highway and on a military reservation.

You're probably right on the impact at San Onofre, but I completely disagree with the "permitting" (meaning, all government red-tape and hassles) will be less. That I do not believe. I wonder what extant entities that we don't automatically think of, like the coastal commission, etc, would say?

Tony - Costal Commision? ah this is behind the nuclear plant which is "on the beach". What does the Coastal Commision say about the landing crafts? The point is that I believe that the Marines can go around many regulations inside the base - you know like live fire excercises.

ElectricFuture,

Any locations is going to have its challenges and hoops to jump through. I don't think it is a bad idea to approach Camp Pendleton. They are leading the way in using biodiesel since a few years back. The Military is looking for ways to reduce our foreign oil dependence.

Yes, ask the Commander to give it some consideration. But perhaps get some support from different sources on the best way to approach the idea. For example the ex-military/military folks that are involved in this website may have so good suggestions:
http://www.operationfree.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Camp Pendelton used to participate in the Clean Cities/San Diego Alternative Fuel Coalition Meetings. Perhaps that group can provide some ideas on the best approach and in getting some additional funding.

I am a member of the American Legion and would be happy to sign a petition to move the idea forward.

Separately, Has our own San Diego based Maxwell Technologies that makes Super Capacitors gotten involved with any designs for Quick Chargers? Perhaps the Super Capacitors could charge up more slowly so the SDGE Demand Charge would not be so high, then discharge for the quick charge.

I requested EVOSIS to provide location and timing for fast charger installations and here is there reply:

We will be installing our Level III Rapid-Chargers at Whole Foods Encinitas on 101, Flower Hill shopping center on Via De La Valle by the new Whole Foods store or across the street at Albertsons center (to be determined in Jan) and will have a unit at the new Marriott Residence in San Juan Capistrano on Camino Capistrano which is near the I-5, Coast Hwy turn-off.
More locations will follow up and down the coastal corridor and we will plan southern and eastern SD county installations as well.
The first phase is being implemented during Q1/Q2 2012.

We will send RFID swipe cards to drivers who request them. They will be mailed-out in late January.

Thanks for your inquiry and Happy Holidays!
Angus Clark-Evoasis
858 509 2973

It turns out that they are based in Del Mar.

electricfuture said:
Yes, ask the Commander to give it some consideration. But perhaps get some support from different sources on the best way to approach the idea. For example the ex-military/military folks that are involved in this website may have so good suggestions:http://www.operationfree.net/

Concerning retired military support from members on this site - that is what I am hoping for! I'll put the suggestion on the site you suggested. As you may already know the Leaf is a great retirement car due to no maintenance, garage charging and controable usage costs. I believe we have a real shot at this. Concerning the charging stations - I am sure SDG&E and SoCal Ed. will have their fingers in that pie. But inside Pendleton it would be up to the Commander. I suggested the new Nissan charger because it is the lowest cost unit currently available and is UL listed.

TonyWilliams said:
There aren't too many places to train Marines to invade beach heads in the USA... Pendelton is one of them. Every one of these projects that impact that training is adverse to national security now, and in the future . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
Of all people, it was a 5 star general ... the Supreme Commander of WW II (subsequently, the president of the united states) who warned us of the danger(s) of the military--industrial complex. President Eisenhower warned:
"... Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. ..."
Eisenhower ... that's crazy talk ... sounds blasphemous. Or is it. The military justifies its massively expensive existence by claiming those sacrosanct magic words, "we MUST do it - for freedom ... for national security". You'd have to be some kind of jihadist commie fascist to question the military industrial profit machine. Ooops! ... I mean, "the forces of freedom". Didn't Eisenhower get that memo? He doesn't seem to understand how it's not cool too impinge on our ability to invade beach heads. He seems to imply that we spend more and more, and yet we become less and less safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E3skfTv04K8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put another way, with the same money, we could afford to have 2,000 Chademo QC's purchased and installed, or, we could hit the beach in just one of these LCAC bad boy's all paid off:

c235221de673b8fcd6df7522c037_grande.jpg

yea, you can probably guess which choice I'd make if I were king

Due to apparent insurmountable bureaucracy I am now moving toward having QCs installed at RV parks on the fringe of Camp Pendleton, which it looks like will also avoid infrastructure problems as well.

Why not petition Edison to have a QC at the San Onofre nuke facility? They already have L2s at least at some of their other facilities, right?

Public utilities in California are not allowed to own or operate public access charging equipment due to last summer's PUC ruling:

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/word_pdf/AGENDA_DECISION/139101.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They can only own charging stations for fleet or employee use at this time...

Back