Sun visors - bloody useless!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My very low-tech solution is a piece of cardboard that I've cut to size and use as an extender.

shtimseht said:
Anyone have a solution for this problem yet?

Fabio said:
My very low-tech solution is a piece of cardboard that I've cut to size and use as an extender.

Haha sounds very low-tech. I'm almost the cardboard or sliding cereal box solution desperate as well.

Nissan is forcing us to have sunglasses in the car at all times. Yesterday, on my way home from work the sun was blasting in my side widow and burned a hole in my left eye. I need to keep like three pairs of glasses in the oversized glasses case to make sure I can still see in a few years.

Nissan, how about an after market upgrade for the lack of sun visor shade.

Narrow visors, the stupid big huge backseat headrests and the tiny outside mirrors are my three main gripes about the car. Otherwise, I think they did an outstanding quality design and build (I also plan to upgrade the 3.3kw onboard charger ASAP but no rush compared to my desire to not go blind from the lack of visor protection).

I was so upset with the sun visor not protecting me from sun from the side that I pulled off the factory visor and replaced it with a modified telescoping visor from a Dodge Ram pickup truck. It works great, but it's a lot of work. first I had to cut it open and cut off the excess plastic, and then make the neatest possible seam around the end with the cloth. The actual mounting was not too bad. I did have to drill and tap some holes, but it was not as hard as it could have been. It doesn't fit perfectly, but it telescopes beautifully and now works like a charm.

It would be great if someone could find the best replacement so that so much surgery to the Ram Visor would be unnecessary.

The Dodge Ram visor is a great solution, but will require an hour of two of work.

I had some 1/4 inch foam board lying around, so I did like Fabio and cut a piece of it to slide in and out of the driver's visor, which conveniently has a plastic band in it. Too bad the passenger side doesn't have this band. Not perfect but good enough to keep almost all of the sideways sun out of my eyes.

TomT said:
Tinting the windshield just simply sounds scary to me regardless of whether or not it is legal. At night I want all the light I can get and a minimum of reflections..

Gonewild said:
I tinted my front window and put a dark strip accoss the top of the windshield that will solve the problem. Or maybe you could sit on some books to make you taller?

The top 4 inches shouldn't be a problem at night unless you are VERY tall, or watching for meteors :)

planet4ever said:
edatoakrun said:
You might find the easiest solution, is to just wear a wide-brimmed hat.
And get a crick in your neck from keeping your head canted to the left? ;)

I suggest you do not permanently attach the hat to your head in a fixed position (which is not my customary method, in any case) making tilting the hat to match the sun angle, not really all that difficult...

vrwl said:
As an FYI for anyone still looking for the sun visor extenders, I found them in a different location on amazon but they appear to be the same ones (and by the same seller) that were previously linked in this thread. Here's the updated location:

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Side-window-Visor-Extenders/dp/B002JR949K/

Or I guess you could also go straight to the site of the company that sells them at http://visormates.com/

I have a set of these - the do come in beige that fits the Cayenne Leaf interior.

They work great. Not as good as an integrated extender, but they do the job.

Odd...

My 02 Maxima GXE (lowest trim level) and 04 350Z Enthusiast (2nd lowest trim) had built in extenders. My 06 Prius (w/2nd highest trim level; higher one just adds leather) for some reason doesn't.

Hi everyone - new Leaf gal who traded in an '11 Hyundai Elantra Limited. Now, the Leaf sun visors are actually "taller" than the Elantra's, but seem of poorer quality and don't have extenders like the E did. There are a few things about that car I'll miss, including the sunroof, but I won't miss gas stations and $4 per gallon gas. :D

Back