Suitcase Generators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmsganges69

Hi I've been looking at the Leaf in the UK and feel our EV market is quite immature compared with the US one. I've been asking Nissan Dealers about using a regulated generator as a 'gallon of gas' back up without any success. Does anyone already take one of these tiny gennys around with them ?. If so how long do they take @1Kw to put 50 miles into the battery pack. Also is there a rescue service such as the RAC or AA who offer a mobile fast charge service on the spot rather than towing the EV to a charging point ?. If not they are missing a trick. I have yet to buy an EV until I can assure myself of being able to get out of trouble via some sort of mobile charging. Any input will be appreciated.

Unless you plan to drive out to an area with no human habitation you have no need to take along a gas generator.

You can find any electrical outlet hooked to the grid to get 1 kwhr of electricity using the included EVSE. I have never had the opportunity to use it, but just asking nicely will get you permission to plug in at an eating or drinking establishment. As long as the proprietor knows that the cost of the electricity is soooooo little, even plugged in for an hour (at my home it would cost about $0.11).

If you find yourself out in the country with no businesses to stop at, find some farm house, ask nicely to be able to purchase $0.10 of electricity and if asked nicely I doubt you will be turned down. People really do like to be helpful. You can even offer them the opportunity to drive an electric car when the charging is done.

IMHO you will almost never be in this situation as you will only get about 4 miles of extra driving for the one hour of time you are spending plugged in. Unless you are plugged in while doing something else, even free electricity is expensive in your time. To get 50 miles would take about 12 hours.

hmsganges69 said:
Hi I've been looking at the Leaf in the UK and feel our EV market is quite immature compared with the US one. I've been asking Nissan Dealers about using a regulated generator as a 'gallon of gas' back up without any success. Does anyone already take one of these tiny gennys around with them ?. If so how long do they take @1Kw to put 50 miles into the battery pack. Also is there a rescue service such as the RAC or AA who offer a mobile fast charge service on the spot rather than towing the EV to a charging point ?. If not they are missing a trick. I have yet to buy an EV until I can assure myself of being able to get out of trouble via some sort of mobile charging. Any input will be appreciated.
Yes, you can charge a LEAF on a generator, but only if it is grounded correctly. For more information on how to do this see the thread charging on generator.

Be aware that charging on a small suitcase type generator at 1 kW or so is very very slow. If you get about 4 miles/kWh mileage then you will add about 4 miles of range per hour when charging at 1 kW. So, 50 miles would be about twelve hours. If you have any public charge stations in your area they are a lot more practical than a generator. (Where I live there are no public charge stations at all, so I carry my generator when venturing into the mountains beyond LEAF range. I've never had to use it.)

While I can't speak to how towing works in the UK I do know that LEAFs sold in the USA come with three years of towing if stuck. Technically one is supposed to be towed to the nearest Nissan dealer, although it is reported that one can sometimes persuade the towing service to take the car home instead. If you have other towing through insurance or an auto club, that might be more practical. Depends on the situation.

You really shouldn't run out of charge once you get used to the range limitations of a LEAF. But flat tires can happen and the LEAF doesn't come with a spare, in this country, not sure about the UK. So, be prepared to fix it yourself or call for a tow.

Apparently there are some mobile rescue trucks with charging capablities. But the bottom line is you really don't want to get into a situation where you run out of electricity on the road. That is just the limitation of an electric car.

hmsganges69 said:
If so how long do they take @1Kw to put 50 miles into the battery pack.
You will do good to get 4 miles from a kWh. And it will take a bit more than 1kW generator to drive the included charging cord system.

Better read the brick input specs and add 20% before you purchase a generator.

smkettner said:
hmsganges69 said:
If so how long do they take @1Kw to put 50 miles into the battery pack.
You will do good to get 4 miles from a kWh. And it will take a bit more than 1kW generator to drive the included charging cord system.

Better read the brick input specs and add 20% before you purchase a generator.

if you get the evse upgraded you can program it to draw less than 12 amps and thus making it possible to charge with the 1000 watt generator. But if you include a little derating for safety and life of the generator, youd only get 3 miles per hour of charging. You could walk back into town faster.

Back