Suggested Maintenance Beyond What's in the Guide?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelman

The Leaf finally needs rear brake pads and the Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide only calls for inspections, rotating the tires, replacing the brake fluid and the in-cabin air filter. That's all the way out to 120,000 miles.

Nothing else? Nothing to grease? No other PM of any kind?

I ask because I've previously discovered that the no maintenance batteries for ICE cars are anything but and that there were hidden grease fittings that really did need to be greased in various equipment I've owned that the manufacturer never told users about perhaps figuring they wouldn't grease them anyway.

So all you experts out there is there anything besides replaces the pads, changing the fluid and doing an inspection that you guys know about and think needs doing?

I'm at close to 60,000 miles and despite the drastic loss of range I'd like to keep the car well maintained if for no other reason because child number 2 will be getting his license soon and all he needs is a vehicle that can get him the 4 miles to school every day.

That's the thing I love about electric cars - the lack of maintenance.

The suggested brake fluid change interval is a joke. I bought a box of Dip Strips to test it annually, and my fluid hasn't come close to needing changed. I think that was just a concession to the dealers so that they could perform some service on the vehicles.

garsh said:
That's the thing I love about electric cars - the lack of maintenance.

The suggested brake fluid change interval is a joke. I bought a box of Dip Strips to test it annually, and my fluid hasn't come close to needing changed. I think that was just a concession to the dealers so that they could perform some service on the vehicles.

I agree with you, but I'm willing to give them the $100 every couple of years since we had to do battery checks anyway. However, I reserve the right to alter my behavior... :p

My dealer just recently tried to tell me that I needed a brake fluid change at 25K miles?! I'm like really?! I never use the brakes, the car has regenerative braking, furthermore here in CA we have very little humidity, which means that fluid lasts longer.

In addition to brake pad change brake calipers have to be dissassembled, cleaned and lubricated (only specific surfaces not everything).
Leaf rarely uses brakes and if those seize up you are in trouble.
Brake fluid has calendar lifetime. In dry climate 2 years is overkill in hilly areas with medium or high moisture 2 years is max.

Also normal testing for shocks (machine that shakes for 30 seconds) and inspection of suspension parts like wishbones etc.

It is important to care about the body and undercarriage. Washing undercarriage is recommended. Inspection all lines and hoses
for possible cracks or corrosion. In salty weather protecting undercarriage using any undercarraige protection stuff :D

Also quide does have maintenance beyond that. Like reduction gear oil change.

One thing I do with all my cars, including the Leaf: Monthly I take the cars to Discount tire to "top off" tire pressure, I use 43psi for the Leaf.

So there really is nothing to lubricate, even up front in the steering mechanism? No grease fittings in the linkages at all? What keeps them from going dry?

Back