Street Smart in San Diego

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmp647 said:
20 miles is about where the lamp kicks on for low remaining charge isnt it?

My low fuel (cng) light comes on with about 50-55 miles left, and by the time I get to a fuel station (28 mi.), it has around 20 miles left, so driving a LEAF will be a piece of cake! :) I'm really looking forward to plugging it in at home and not having to drive 56 miles for fuel. I've been driving a dedicated cng vehicle for six years with part of that time using only one tank (about 200 mi. capacity, now over 500) and only ONE time did I come close to running out as I stretched the remaining (after low fuel warning light) to 58 miles. I was only running on fumes when I reached the station.

Anyone who went to Street Smart remember the name of the guy from CCSE responsible for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project? He presented in a couple of the seminars. I've been all over their website and I can't find it. If you have his contact info, that would also be helpful. He said he would make all the presentations available. Thanks.

indyflick said:
Anyone who went to Street Smart remember the name of the guy from CCSE responsible for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project? He presented in a couple of the seminars. I've been all over their website and I can't find it. If you have his contact info, that would also be helpful. He said he would make all the presentations available. Thanks.

As LEAFer suggested, it's Mike Ferry:

http://energycenter.org/index.php/component/contact/74-ccse-staff/87-mike-ferry?directory=696

Also, EVProject Home Page -> Partners -> San Diego Regional Clean Fuels Coalition -> Board of Directors

indyflick said:
LEAFer said:
I wasn't there. But may be Mike Ferry ?
<firstname><dot><lastname><at>energycenter<dot>org
Ankthay ouyay eryvay uchmay EAFerlay :lol:
You're welcome. Sorry for the bot-defensive-measures. Would not want Mike to get mad at me for giving his email in clear-text.

Any comments on this from those who saw near production Leaf in SD ?

In the cabin, the Nissan shouts its environmental credentials, with horrible static-inducing seat coverings and low-rent plastics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/7986887/Nissan-Leaf-review.html

evnow said:
Any comments on this from those who saw near production Leaf in SD ?

In the cabin, the Nissan shouts its environmental credentials, with horrible static-inducing seat coverings and low-rent plastics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/7986887/Nissan-Leaf-review.html

I sat in all of the seats this weekend and didn't notice any static electricity from the material. However, my first thoughts were that seat covers are needed immediately if you have young children that are going to be riding in the car. The fabric is light and seems very porous. But later I thought that maybe a better strategy would be to let the seats get stained and worn for a while and then have the seats redone with leather. Does anyone know how much that would cost? The only fabric is on the seats (none on the door panels).

My observations were the same as Frank's. I have a heavy golf shirt made from that material which is over 15 years old and looks new. It's truly unbelievable how durable that material is. As for the writers other comments, well clearly he doesn't understand the target market. Look, the LEAF is a very high tech vehicle. The target market would be aghast if it had an old school analog dash.

evnow said:
Frank said:
I sat in all of the seats this weekend and didn't notice any static electricity from the material.

How are the plastics - hard or soft ?

I think mostly soft, with the exception of the bezel around the screen and hvac controls, and the shifter. That material is hard, gloss black plastic. That makes it look more contemporary and high tech but I don't think the gloss black plastic was a good choice. It is so glossy that it will probably show fine scratches the first time you wipe it with a rag, and of course it shows smudges and fingerprints just as easily. Because you got me going on this, I also feel that they shouldn't have taken so much space for the shifter and parking brake control. The covered center console box is extremely small because of the space taken by the parking brake control and shifter. I don't know if anyone has posted any photos of the covered center console box but when I looked inside I couldn't believe how small it was. And with the very small glove box it will make it a challenge to stow anything out of sight in the front of the car.

Frank said:
I think mostly soft, with the exception of the bezel around the screen and hvac controls, and the shifter. That material is hard, gloss black plastic.

That makes sense. I think the Times reviewer saw an older version of the car ...

That makes it look more contemporary and high tech but I don't think the gloss black plastic was a good choice. It is so glossy that it will probably show fine scratches the first time you wipe it with a rag, and of course it shows smudges and fingerprints just as easily.

Possibly. But I like the glossy black :cool:

Because you got me going on this, I also feel that they shouldn't have taken so much space for the shifter and parking brake control. The covered center console box is extremely small because of the space taken by the parking brake control and shifter. I don't know if anyone has posted any photos of the covered center console box but when I looked inside I couldn't believe how small it was. And with the very small glove box it will make it a challenge to stow anything out of sight in the front of the car.

We have discussed this before - may be in April. Esp. the idea of pushing the shifter back to move forward ! They should change the paradigm in gen 2 ...

But this is the 1st time anyone has commented on small storage spaces ...

garygid said:
Did those attending notice that the LEAF's "included" L1 EVSE was connected to an EXTENSION CORD (near the trunk of the car)! :(
I saw that, but I don't know why it would be a problem. Wouldn't you need to do that on occasion, possibly?

TT

Frank said:
The fabric is light and seems very porous...
I am not a big fan of the material I saw on the seats, but I thought it was much better than the stark white upholstery that was in the "display" model Leaf they had on the Tour event last year. I wish we had a choice of interior colors rather than none, but you can't have everything, I guess. We'll probably put covers on them to preserve them anyway.

As far as having them redone, leather would be a lot more expensive than some of the synthetic materials available. The price depends greatly on where you have the work done as well. I have had sport seats recovered in vinyl for $175 here in San Diego, and had shops quote them for $700 in leather. Going to Tijuana to have them done has been the traditional "cheap" way for SD hot-rodders to have interiors done for many decades. There are quite a few very talented, reliable, auto body and interior shops in TJ that do great work for low cost, if you're willing to cross the border.

TT

evnow said:
We have discussed this before - may be in April. Esp. the idea of pushing the shifter back to move forward ! They should change the paradigm in gen 2 ...
That doesn't bother me at all. The shifter is well-marked and it will become second nature in a short time to pull it back to go forward, IMHO. Driving this car will be so different than others that we will be learning a lot of new habits. Besides, it is not counter-intuitive to me to pull back to go forward, as this is how upshifts are accomplished in my sequential-shifting race car.

TT

Back